Oceania Regatta - Beer on Tap?

charchar1

A question after my own heart!

It is amazing the variety and quality of beers these days will all of the micro breweries. I was listening to an interview about beers being auctioned and was surprised to hear that some could go for as much as $1,200-$1,500...for one bottle. Now that is truly sipping suds.

Now that I've delayed in giving you the bad news -ain't no beers on tap. In fact there is a very limited selection of beers on board. I drank grolsch (?sp) exclusively on our cruise. Your one option may be to buy some beer in the ports and bring them aboard to consume in your cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info!

Yes, my husband is a bit of a connoiseur. He enjoys homebrewing, and we get rather spoiled drinking his creations! Bummer there is no beer on tap - does anyone know what bottled beer is available? Sierra Nevada, perhaps? If availability varies based on port or season, we are cruising to Alaska at the end of June. I'm sure we will enjoy the trip, regardless. :)

This is from the list available under the description of the beverage packages.

NOTE: The Red Ginger restaurant is only on the 2 larger ships, Marina and Riviera, so those specialty beers would be only on those ships.

Beer (Bottles and Drafts)

Bottled

Budweiser

Coors Light

Bud Light

Miller Light

Amstel Light

Corona

Becks

Heineken

Samuel Adams

Grolsch Swing Top

Specialty Beers (Red Ginger)

Tsingtao Chinese

Singha Thai

Asahi Japanese

Sapporo Japanese

Non-Alcoholic

O'Doul's

Buckler

On my Alaska cruise on the Regatta last May, they did have some beer from the Alaskan Brewing Company (http://www.alaskanbeer.com/) .

A question after my own heart!

It is amazing the variety and quality of beers these days will all of the micro breweries. I was listening to an interview about beers being auctioned and was surprised to hear that some could go for as much as $1,200-$1,500...for one bottle. Now that is truly sipping suds.

Now that I've delayed in giving you the bad news -ain't no beers on tap. In fact there is a very limited selection of beers on board. I drank grolsch (?sp) exclusively on our cruise. Your one option may be to buy some beer in the ports and bring them aboard to consume in your cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info!

Yes, my husband is a bit of a connoiseur. He enjoys homebrewing, and we get rather spoiled drinking his creations! Bummer there is no beer on tap - does anyone know what bottled beer is available? Sierra Nevada, perhaps? If availability varies based on port or season, we are cruising to Alaska at the end of June. I'm sure we will enjoy the trip, regardless. :)

For a cruise line that purports to cater to a discerning cruiser that is one sad list of beers. This is definitely an area that could be improved on.

This is from the list available under the description of the beverage packages.

On my Alaska cruise on the Regatta last May, they did have some beer from the Alaskan Brewing Company (http://www.alaskanbeer.com/) .

Thanks very much for the information. Here's hoping they'll offer the Alaskan beer. Always fun to try the local brew.

For a cruise line that purports to cater to a discerning cruiser that is one sad list of beers. This is definitely an area that could be improved on.

As a beer drinker, not a wine drinker, I totally agree!

I'll throw my 2 bits in as well (again). The O ships have Heineken and Amstel Light on draught as well as bottles. Why they'd bother to repeat a couple of nondescript brands is beyond me. The only beer of interest is Samuel Adams. The rest are all light and light coloured mass market brands. Even Grolsch is a unit of SAB Miller and is brewed in a modern facility. Cute bottle though. I imagine the true craft beers, being unpasteurized, might be problematic but still there are many smaller breweries producing much more interesting but accessible brands. Europe has always had good beer and the craft brewing revolution in North America has improved our situation immensely. Maybe one day, Oceania will take notice.

Just to keep this thread alive, let me ask any beer drinkers to name a few additions that they'd like to see on board. I'll start with a brown ale, and a dark and light hefeweizen.

We like darker beer, red beer, and I even like Guinness. I also like wheat beer. Kilkenny is one I like.

My preferred poison is wine, but it depends on the food and the ambient temperature. Sometimes a cold beer is just the ticket.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Agree that there are too many different tastes to accommodate everyone but feel that many people enjoy a good beer -- even if they are wine drinkers. Since the majority of Oceania cruisers are from the U.S. and Canada, perhaps they could have one beer that is mainstream (like Budweiser - yuck), a dark and light ale and then perhaps a selection from the U.K., Belgium, etc. IMO, Heineken, Amstel Light and Even Samuel Adams are not popular in most places. The Guinness that is served on Regent (different than what is sold in the U.S.) is excellent. Also agree that getting some local beer (obtained in port) would be great!

Point made!

You all have different tastes in beer and no ship will be able to stock

all those brands. As far as we have seen most Oceania cruisers seem to be wine drinkers anyway.

Maybe "Oceania cruisers seem to be wine drinkers" because the beer selections are so poor. :) Seriously, even those who generally prefer wine with dinner can enjoy a cold beer on a hot day or the right beer with specific foods. O seems to acknowledge that by offering an expanded selection in Red Ginger. Meeting varied tastes in beer should not be any more difficult than providing a selection of wine or food to satisfy a broad range of tastes and diets. I would really like to see Oceania improve this surprising weakness. Why not a beer pairing dinner some night? That seems to be quite a trend in upscale venues these days.

Why not a beer pairing dinner some night? That seems to be quite a trend in upscale venues these days.

I've never heard of a beer pairing in a Restaurant which was not also some kind of a Brewery, but I hope that you will educate me, if I am wrong.

As to extending the Beer menu in Red Ginger, it is my hope that they will get the Sake sorted out first.

173428.jpg

A really well done Sake Service can make a night in an Asian restaurant.

I've never heard of a beer pairing in a Restaurant which was not also some kind of a Brewery, but I hope that you will educate me, if I am wrong.

As to extending the Beer menu in Red Ginger, it is my hope that they will get the Sake sorted out first.

173428.jpg

It's catching on here in Orlando. They don't brew them, but they "try" to pair 'em! :) I like both, so no worries for me, but I agree guys - the Red Ginger sake selection was a little weak given how good the food was. Can you get the Red Ginger beers in other bars on the O class ships? I really do like Tsingtao....

173428.jpg

The one that caught my attention first was at Stone Barns at Blue Hill several years ago. That dinner became an annual event. I've also seen them in Boulder and in Seattle and I think Napa in Stamford may have done one. In NYC both Eleven Madison Park and Gramercy Tavern have beer pairing dinners. Agree with you on the sake!

The one that caught my attention first was at Stone Barns at Blue Hill several years ago. That dinner became an annual event. I've also seen them in Boulder and in Seattle and I think Napa in Stamford may have done one. In NYC both Eleven Madison Park and Gramercy Tavern have beer pairing dinners. Agree with you on the sake!

Good Golly Gosh, we were there for both the Napa and the Gramercy Tavern Dinners, our brother in law is a BTBG (BIG TIME Beer Guy) but there were so many Beer Brewers in attendance that they both felt like industry functions.

I'm going to write to Zagat and ask about the Eleven Madison Park Pairing Dinner, by rights we should have been invited to that. :mad:

Point made!

You all have different tastes in beer and no ship will be able to stock

all those brands. As far as we have seen most Oceania cruisers seem to be wine drinkers anyway.

Of course Oceania can't stock all the brands. The point is, out of 12 current selections, 11 are very pale lager/pilsner or light beers. How many of these do we really need? I'm hoping that if enough beer guys make suggestions, someone might take the hint and improve the selection to include some more interesting brews.

BTW I'm not sure I'd be interested in a beer pairing menu. With the occasional exception of Thai food, I'm mostly a wine guy with meals.

Most of the beers are light and tasteless, as said above one light bud/coors type beer surely is sufficient. Perhaps heineken and grolsh for lager then maybe a couple of more heavy, tasty beers and a stout. Works for me!

Last October on our med cruise I did find a few cans of Marstons in waves

In the UK the last 5-6 years has seen the range of beers massively expand and some restaurants are doing beers matched with food.