Royal Caribbean plans at Port Canaveral

That link doesn't work on my PC with windows 8 and IE 11.

But I went to the ".com" site shown in your link and was able to find the story.

Still very non-committal on what additional ship RCI may be planning for PC.

Edited by Rdytogo2

Nothing new in that report. Much of what is in that article has been out there in the media and here on CruiseCritic since last year. I guess it's good that there is ongoing coverage so that when an official annoucement of ship basing plans comes out we'll be ready for it.

Since the news came out of PC that they were going to expand, I always thought that RCL would add additional ships. With that being said and this quote from the article, "Last year, the port announced it would add a 185,000-square-foot terminal able to handle the biggest cruise ships now being built.", I believe that plans are in the works to bring an Oasis class ship or Quantum class ship to PC. Currently the largest RCL ship that sails from PC is Freedom. The next size up would definitely be the Quantum/Oasis class.

Personally, I am excited to see the news that RCL is bringing a larger class ship to PC.

That's my two cents worth...:)

Since the news came out of PC that they were going to expand, I always thought that RCL would add additional ships. With that being said and this quote from the article, "Last year, the port announced it would add a 185,000-square-foot terminal able to handle the biggest cruise ships now being built.", I believe that plans are in the works to bring an Oasis class ship or Quantum class ship to PC. Currently the largest RCL ship that sails from PC is Freedom. The next size up would definitely be the Quantum/Oasis class.

Personally, I am excited to see the news that RCL is bringing a larger class ship to PC.

That's my two cents worth...:)

You could say there is still alot of possibilities in the air. The new terminal is scheduled to be completed by the end of this year. Later this year we will have the Freedom, Explorer, and Enchantment of the Seas sailing from PC. Homeports for the next two new ships has already been announced with Quantum of the Seas being homeported in Bayonne, N.J. and Anthem of the Seas splitting time between Southampton, England and Ft. Lauderdale. Quantum of the Seas will be making regular port stops in Port Canaveral as part of her Caribbean itineraries from N.J. The thrid Oasis class ship comes out in 2016 so there is a good possibility one of them goes to Port Canaveral.

my guess is Oasis III

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a hard guess to make. You could be right based on PC having the brand new state of the art terminal. Or since Ft. Lauderdale is one of the prime ports Oasis 3 could go there and one of the other 2 could go to PC. With all the new ships coming out over the next two years there is bound to be alot of shuffling around of ships.

How much is the per passenger fee going to be? I am assuming we will see that within the price of the cruise fare itself so to never actually know?

That's already figured into any cruise you might take today. It doesn't matter what ship or what port, that fee is already figured in and should be seen on your cruise invoice as taxes, port charges and misc. fees. Besides if you really want to know that all you have to do is ask whomever you book with to show you.

This is really interesting!

From the OP's Link...

It is the first cruise terminal on south side of the port channel.

Here is a Google Earth view of Port Canaveral. A new cruise terminal on the south side of the channel will require clearing a large area of the existing businesses and extensive dredging before access roads can be constructed.

I wonder where it will go.

PortCanaveral_zpsd4c2ac4c.jpg

From the OP's Link...

Here is a Google Earth view of Port Canaveral. A new cruise terminal on the south side of the channel will require clearing a large area of the existing businesses and extensive dredging before access roads can be constructed.

Here are the plans:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40977933&postcount=1

Edited by clarea

From the OP's Link...

PortCanaveral_zpsd4c2ac4c.jpg

It's going pretty much where the green outline is on the right of the picture. There is already a small terminal there, that is being demolished, and the existing public boat ramp is being moved to the east. here is a webcam for the construction site

http://webcampub.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.embed&WebcamPublicEmbedUID=873D8514-F022-46B4-94F1-2FDB6070F759&width=&height

It is being built just east of Fishlips. The construction webcam is located on one of the Rinker Silos across the channel. If you look at the webcam, you can see the existing boat launch ramps and roundabout (roughly below where the "veral" in Canaveral is on the image), and if you zoom in on the Google earth image, those landmarks are clearly visible.

Edited by orville99

Last month I was on Enchantment in the Diamond lounge the first afternoon looking around. A woman came in who worked at the Terminal where we checked in - in fact she remembered me from my Freedom cruise two weeks earlier. Anyways, she was cruising this week as a passenger. According to her, and her friend who was a upper management at the port, Oasis - the original one - was coming to Port Canaveral as soon as the new terminal was open. She was adamant that they were already hiring staff and that it was a done deal!

Since both ships are open for reservations up until October 2015, and this new terminal is scheduled to open late in 2014, I find this suspect.

But hey - it might be a more reliable source then the shuttle drivers! LOL!:)

From the OP's Link...

The land where the new terminal is being built was already vacant, and the access roads already exist, and I believe the contracts to widen and dredge the channel have both been awarded.

It's a hard guess to make. You could be right based on PC having the brand new state of the art terminal. Or since Ft. Lauderdale is one of the prime ports Oasis 3 could go there and one of the other 2 could go to PC. With all the new ships coming out over the next two years there is bound to be alot of shuffling around of ships.

I think another thing to consider for the possiblities of the shuffling is which ship will NCL deploy to PC starting 2015/2016. This would be the first time that NCL will have a ship homeport in PC and an annoucement of which ship that would be should be out this month I believe. That deployment could possibly influence what RCI does at PC.

It's going pretty much where the green outline is on the right of the picture. There is already a small terminal there, that is being demolished, and the existing public boat ramp is being moved to the east. here is a webcam for the construction site

http://webcampub.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.embed&WebcamPublicEmbedUID=873D8514-F022-46B4-94F1-2FDB6070F759&width=&height

That's Jetty Park in the picture with the outline. It's not going there. It will be right next to Fishlips where the boat ramp is at.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Eng23

The land where the new terminal is being built was already vacant, and the access roads already exist, and I believe the contracts to widen and dredge the channel have both been awarded.

Most of the channel dredging has been completed. There will be some dredging to be done for the ship berthing area though.

I think another thing to consider for the possiblities of the shuffling is which ship will NCL deploy to PC starting 2015/2016. This would be the first time that NCL will have a ship homeport in PC and an annoucement of which ship that would be should be out this month I believe. That deployment could possibly influence what RCI does at PC.

That's a pretty good point of consideration.

That's a pretty good point of consideration.

Coincidentally, two of the few renderings of the New Cruise Terminal 1 posted around the web have (1) Oasis Class ship and (2) what looks like NCL Epic. We can’t really draw any definitive ship deployment conclusions from there as Epic has recently been committed to Barcelona for winter 2015/2016. Instead, perhaps the renderings were trying to clue us in as to what Cruise Lines. Little did they know that many here at CC had already guessed that long time ago! :)