day trips from the port of Livorno

newti

Come over to the Italy board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

for lots of recommendations. One, Rome in Limo, has over 2500 positive comments.

Can't answer your question about whether all of that is possible in one day. But contact the venders mentioned on the Italy board...they will tell if it can be done.

That is a lot to try and see in one port day. You cannot barely see a hint of Florence let alone adding Sienna. To see Duomo and Michaelangelo's David is hours all by itself.

Maybe you might narrow down you top priorities?

Florence is a very ambitious day trip fom Livorno. A good alternative, reasonably priced, is to take the train to Lucca, changing trains in Pisa. This gives you a chance to see the leaning tower either going or coming, and to spend a few hours in Lucca - a marvelous walled medieval city which you can cover in that short visit.

I am in port from 7 to 7. Want to see Sienna, Tuscany, Florence, etc. Has anyone used a private co. that allowed you to make all this possible??

We used Rome in Limo we gave them our wish list and they helped us build a tour around our interests and our time allotted.

Carmen

Rome in Limo is the way to go. They were our favorite tour company for our Med cruise. Your cities to visit are rather ambitious to do in a day of port, though. We were able to visit Pisa to climb the tower and even see the Lamborghini club drive through (that was quite by surprise, but a highlight of our trip) and Florence to eat lunch, see the Duomo, and visit David.

It's truly impossible to see Florence/Siena/Tuscany in one day !

Pick on one, say Sienna, and drive through part of Tuscan countryside to/from Livorno.

The Duomo in Sienna is spectacular.

Traffic in/out of Siena is not easy and parking is difficult; probably better to take a tour bus!

I agree that the OP should come over to the Italy board where there are many of us who can offer some advice. But for the sake of others we think it is good to set out a few facts. When the OP says see Tuscany they need to understand that Tuscany is about the same size as the entire State of New Jersey! We have spent many months in Tuscany (usually with a car) and have yet to see much of what this wonderful Region. I would add that we have also spent more then week in Florence and are still discovering some of the treasures of that wonderful city.

So, my advice to any visitor to Europe (and elsewhere) is to look at all the options and then focus on only 1, 2 or perhaps 3 things that can reasonably be done in a day.

Hank

Last October, we used Share a Shore Excursion in Italy.

]We built a group of six to eight people in Naples (did Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and Sorrento); Civitavecchia to Rome, and Livorno to see Florence and Tuscany on the way back to the ship.

They arranged for tickets and a guide for us to see the David in Florence. It was awesome...we walked to many of the highlights from there. Lunch, and then a bit of shopping. We had time remaining before we had to get back to the ship, so our driver drove us to a winery in Tuscany and that was absolutely wonderful.

we did Pisa and Florence this past Nov. Pisa was really boring and it's a long hike from where they let anyone park. Florence with one of the museums and wondering around would be a nice day.. or Tuscany doing the wine/countryside thing would also a nice day. but, trying to do both you won't get enough time at either.

Unless you really want to see the Cathedral in Pisa next to the Tower, I would spend more time in Florence and save Pisa for another trip. So much to see in Florence. It is so beautiful there.

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to check out the Rome in Limo site as so many of you gave them glowing reviews.

Aso will find the Italy forum board. I'm just learning how to navigate the Cruise Critic web site but so far, so good.