dogs on board

Camelia-

Sorry folks, don't mean to sound blunt, but....please leave the dogs home. If you can't get along without the dog, please stay home. Getting into confined areas with lots of other folks is RUDE. What about people with severe allergies to dogs and cats, etc. I know 2 of them off hand. What do we tell them?

Evidently we don't want to OFFEND the sacred pet owner, what about others who are offended(allergic and otherwise) eating with their animal.

Edited by L454S

Exactly! Masters of the loopholes.

This topic reminds me of all of the Handicapped signs hanging on rear view mirrors in cars. How many of them are legitimate? My wife and watched a guy drive through the grocery store parking lot and park in the handicap spots right near the front door. Then he gets out and walks half way back across the parking lot to where the grocery carts were, got one and headed back to the store.

He felt so entitled to the handicap spot that I'd didn't occur to him to take one of the many available spots right beside the grocery carts to minimize the amount of walking he would have to do. Then he headed into a giant big box grocery store pushing a cart. Someone who really struggled to walk and push a cart would probably not be at this type of store but if so they would also be expert at minimizing their amount of walking rather than ensuring that the got a parking spot by the front door.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

these days service dogs can be used for a host of reasons other than being visually impaired some can anticipate a seizure happening but you are right Princess can,t get too personal and have to take the word of the passenger but what makes me suspicious is service dogs are usually very well behaved

Service dogs are used for more than the blind. We have a large number of veterans with PTSD thanks to an illegal war in Iraq. VA has found that dogs can be used by these warriors to anticipate an attack and so many have them. Most of the time they are small dogs. The dogs are not as well trained as one for the blind and therefore will not act the same. They appear to simply be pets but serve a vital need for that person.

Anyone with a service dog will have official documentation verifying that the dog is a medical need. Princess and any other public accomodation such as hotels, airlines, etc, by law has to honor them without question.

I saw several dogs on our cruise last month on the Royal. None of which were for the blind.

I have a lawyer friend who is blind and he has a Lab Retreiver. The dog's name? Justice of course!!

Exactly! And we wonder why some countries are under the impression that Americans are selfish and demanding. Since most of us are not like the wink wink people, I find them extremely annoying.

Anxiety dogs? Take Xanax. Hypoglycemia dogs? Get a glucometer, avoid alcohol and eat regular meals. Etc, etc. Ridiculous!

For the blind and severely hearing impaired it's different.

Not really. Medication doesn't work for everyone who has anxiety. If they are so affected that they need a legitimate service dog, then they shouldn't be barred from having one. As for hypoglycemia, you apparently don't know much about regulating diabetes, or you would realize that it isn't always easily done, and that acute hypoglycemia can be rapidly fatal if it's not found and treated quickly.

As for the shopping carts...I agree that there are people who abuse the handicapped parking permits and spaces. However, I have a relative who has back pain that can impair her mobility, although you wouldn't know it to look at her. She finds that pushing a shopping cart allows her to support part of her weight with her arms and hands, and the slight bend in her back to push the cart also helps relieve the pain. She has a handicapped permit but hates to use it because she feels there are others who are worse off who could use the space more, although she will use it if there are no open spaces nearby. Not everyone parking in a handicapped spot, going to get a cart, and walking into a big box store is abusing things.

As for the poster who suggested that people who need service dogs should stay home if they can't go out without their dogs...how insulting. I hope you never need a service dog. Or will you just stay home forever if you do?

Anyone with a service dog will have official documentation verifying that the dog is a medical need. Princess and any other public accomodation such as hotels, airlines, etc, by law has to honor them without question.

The problem is that "official" or official looking documentation can either be obtained via the Internet or even printed at home if one has some knowledge of using applicable programs on a home computer.

Sorry folks, don't mean to sound blunt, but....please leave the dogs home. If you can't get along without the dog, please stay home. Getting into confined areas with lots of other folks is RUDE. What about people with severe allergies to dogs and cats, etc. I know 2 of them off hand. What do we tell them?

Evidently we don't want to OFFEND the sacred pet owner, what about others who are offended(allergic and otherwise) eating with their animal.

So what you are saying is that anyone who has a disability should not leave their homes, go on holiday, or generally enjoy themselves?

Bit self centred and arrogant I think.

If you have an allergy to dogs, you should be the one to stay at home and not offend the people who rely on a service dog to help them live their lives.

Lets hope you never find yourself in a situation in the future where you might need some assistance.

Swiss Dave, if you think my opinion is rude, please tell me what we should tell folks who are allergic to the dogs, etc.....Do we tell them to stay home? What if I personally don't want to sit in the MDR with your dog next to me, I guess I should stay home........They quit serving peanuts on planes because of people with allergies to them, not eating them, but the smell...........

Beagle one.....not intending to insult anyone, just voicing an opinion, but if you are..............I like beagles, my son has 2 of them. They ain't going on a cruise ship though.

Swiss Dave, if you think my opinion is rude, please tell me what we should tell folks who are allergic to the dogs, etc.....Do we tell them to stay home? What if I personally don't want to sit in the MDR with your dog next to me, I guess I should stay home........They quit serving peanuts on planes because of people with allergies to them, not eating them, but the smell...........

Beagle one.....not intending to insult anyone, just voicing an opinion, but if you are..............I like beagles, my son has 2 of them. They ain't going on a cruise ship though.

I hope you are talking about pets and not true service dogs. If you are saying you don't want to sit next to a real registered service dog in the MDR ask for another table, I'm sure the Maître D would be happy accommodate you. And for your information I had warm nuts on a flight to Australia less than 2 weeks ago. They stopped serving them on some flights because of cost.

People who are allergic to dogs can take simple OTC meds. If they have a problem with someone having a service dog with them (for whatever reason), it isn't that hard to stay away from them. Try a little compassion, prescription drugs have more problems with them than you can possibly imagine (I work in product liability litigation, so I do know a bit about this).

As to the whole nut allergy thing, I have a co-worker who is so allergic the smell can start to trigger a reaction, she does carry an epi pen, for major reactions, but even a small reaction is uncomfortable to say the least.

I'm allergic to mangos, but I don't expect the world to spurn the fruit just because I have to steer clear of it.

My biggest problem with service dogs is resisting the urge to snuggle them, when I'm missing my dogs while cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

First of all, Service dogs are not pets.

Secondly, many of us face allergies but we still go into this world and continue our lives. For example, I can not tolerate perfume. It is very present on cruise ships and I just try to avoid people who wear them. I am not rude to these individuals as it is their right to wear perfume. It is not their problem/fault that I am allergic to this.

Edited by Coral

I have friends I visit in the UK, some of whom have cats. Cats set of my asthma, make me sneeze a lot and give me streaming eyes. I solve the problem by taking a benedril (OTC) each day, and guess what - I survive.

I do not expect them to put the cats out of the house or make any special arrangements for me. It's my problem that I have an allergy to them, so I deal with it.

Peanuts are still served on planes here as well, and sold in shops. People who are allergic to them deal with it to control symptoms, or general try to avoid a situation that puts them in danger. If someone is really allergic and takes a plane, and they don't serve nuts, that doesn't mean they will not come into contact with nut residue. Whats to stop someone eating them before the flight and leaving traces of nut on the seat for the next person to sit in who might be allergic to them? They don't steam clean the plane in between flights and people with nut allergies know that.

If you are allergic to dogs deal with it, and if that means you have to move to a different table or dining room then that is what you do. Do not expect the person with the service dog to move just to suit you.

I also suggest you read the thread on cruising with a service dog in the disabled cruisers section. It's only about 11300 posts, then tell those people they should stay at home. http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=585728

Edited by SwissDave

As to the whole nut allergy thing, I have a co-worker who is so allergic the smell can start to trigger a reaction, she does carry an epi pen, for major reactions, but even a small reaction is uncomfortable to say the least.

Wow! just the smell of nuts triggering a reaction. I know many people have allergies to nuts. I would hope she would let me know if I was sitting near her on a plane. Next week on my return I'll be thinking of this and looking around before I munch in. It must be very difficult when something so common can do this so easily. How close would she have to be for a reaction to start? I would hate for someone to be that uncomfortable because I love my little bowl of warm nuts with my pre-dinner cocktail. I usually get a second bowl too. OK and a second cocktail. It's a looong flight from Australia. I also love the hot fudge sundaes, I pass on the whipped cream so it makes it OK.;)

Well said!! Not everyone loves your dog.

Doug

Service dogs are used for more than the blind. We have a large number of veterans with PTSD thanks to an illegal war in Iraq. VA has found that dogs can be used by these warriors to anticipate an attack and so many have them. Most of the time they are small dogs. The dogs are not as well trained as one for the blind and therefore will not act the same. They appear to simply be pets but serve a vital need for that person.

I saw several dogs on our cruise last month on the Royal. None of which were for the blind.

I have a lawyer friend who is blind and he has a Lab Retreiver. The dog's name? Justice of course!!

I don't think dogs on a cruise ship has much to do with the war in Iraq (which was not Illegal, Congress approved it)

Doug

As long as there are message boards stating how to get your pet designated as a service animal, these dogs are going to be viewed with suspicion, just like the low lying sports car or the humongously high SUV with the handicapped plates and young, apparently fit people getting in and out. The abusers may be making things tough for those genuinely in need, but my view of it is that it is those people's responsibility to put things right and restore public trust that a "service dog" is needed.

That being said, I would not care to have a dog next to me longer than momentarily at dinner, or at a show, or in the tender. I am allergic, and frankly I don't like dogs, and you do not expect to find them on cruise ships. Especially when it's to keep trophy pet with you and avoid kennel fees (kennel? for Dear Dumpkins? Never!). That's probably unfair to the few who need such beasts. But I didn't make the situation.

Edited by Wehwalt

The problem is that "official" or official looking documentation can either be obtained via the Internet or even printed at home if one has some knowledge of using applicable programs on a home computer.

This is the real issue and it is has been featured in many different news sources that people are getting their pets certified as FAKE service dogs so they can take them traveling with them without having to pay any extra expenses. They seem to have no regard for people with true disabilities and it is creating a back lash for people with legitimate needs and handicaps.

It is pretty easy to to spot a real Service animal versus a FAKE Emotional Support Animal no matter how someone tries to dress them up.

Also, ADA regulations contain a specific provision which covers miniature horses. Businesses must make reasonable modifications in policies, practices, or procedures to permit the use of a miniature horse by an individual with a disability if the miniature horse has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of the individual with a disability.

I can hardly wait to bring my little pony to the MDR!!! :D:);)

The sad thing is that my mom has had 2 Seeing Eye dogs. They were both trained at the Seeing Eye, Inc. in Morristown, NJ. This is the oldest existing guide dog school in the world (founded in 1929). The dogs were specifically bred at their facility. The dogs spent the first year with a Puppy Home where they orient the dog to all different types of places, environments and transportation. They are allowed to go places as they are service dogs in training. After that, the dog spends a year with a trainer at the Seeing Eye. My mom was then trained for a month on how to use the dog at their facility. This is a top notch facility and is known internationally.

If anyone had seen my mom with her Seeing Eye dog on board, the dog was a true professional. When guiding my mom she was always in her harness and acted professionally. It was obvious what type of dog this was. If anyone approached my mom and asked questions, she would answer them. Every once in awhile I would take the dog on a leash outside at port if my mom wanted to stay in the cabin to nap, or would walk her on the ship, etc.. If anyone asked (and people did), I would just explain that she was my Mom's Seeing Eye dog. Both of her dogs traveled extensively and we were one of the first to bring Seeing Eye dogs onto cruise lines and had been written about in magazines, etc...

I completely understand the concept of Service dogs has expanded and I find it amazing what dogs are being used for now (such as detect seizures before they happen, etc..). Again, these dogs are specifically trained also.

It really does bother me to hear that people are buying certificates over the internet and passing their dogs off as Service dogs when they are not. I find this appalling. The things some people do now a days is so disappointing.

Excellent point. Your mother's dogs were working animals - and a breed apart from one born and raised as a pet. Only the most intelligent and calm dogs are even allowed into the training program and many don't pass due to the strict qualification standards. Those that don't pass are adopted out to become beloved household pets.

From the tone of some of the posts - it appears as if some would begrudge even these special dogs to share space with them. Such a pity, and such ignorance.

I think we are confusing two different issues.

One is traveling with pets.

Th other is traveling with a service dog.

Many places/hotels are pet friendly. Those of you who dislike pets can easily avoid those places.

A service dog, as one poster noted, is NOT a pet. It provides a service...just like wheelchairs, hearing aides, canes etc. traveling with a pet is an option. Traveling without a service animal is not.

By its definition, cruises are about people. I would hope everyone would have some compassion.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you buy your own ship. You can them ban all the service animals you want. And pray that some day neither you nor your family needs one.

I can hardly wait to bring my little pony to the MDR!!! :D:);)

Maybe the next class of Princess ships will be built more on the design of Noah's Arc!

The other is traveling with a service dog.

Exactly. If bringing animals on board was truly limited to those with a real need, all or at least most people would be okay with it. Using it as an excuse to bring your pet poodle on a cruise with you to push around in a stroller virtually everywhere on the ship (as was the case on my last cruise by two lady's) wan't very convincing. Doesn't matter if it is to save kennel fees or just because you would miss your pets while you are away. We miss our pets too but have them well taken care of while we are away on a cruise.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Excellent point. Your mother's dogs were working animals - and a breed apart from one born and raised as a pet. Only the most intelligent and calm dogs are even allowed into the training program and many don't pass due to the strict qualification standards. Those that don't pass are adopted out to become beloved household pets.

From the tone of some of the posts - it appears as if some would begrudge even these special dogs to share space with them. Such a pity, and such ignorance.

Not sure why I started off with "the sad thing is that......" My mom became blind at age 50 due to a tragic situation. It is incredibly sad how she became blind but the best thing that happened to her after becoming blind is the two wonderful Seeing Eye dogs that she applied for, trained with and received". It is amazing how much her mobility greatly improved from the cane when she received her first Seeing Eye dog. These dogs are amazing for what they do for their partners. While I always was impressed with Service dogs, it was not until my mom received hers that I realized how they can change the lives of those who are disabled.

Th other is traveling with a service dog.

Many places/hotels are pet friendly. Those of you who dislike pets can easily avoid those places.

A service dog, as one poster noted, is NOT a pet. It provides a service...just like wheelchairs, hearing aides, canes etc. traveling with a pet is an option. Traveling without a service animal is not.

By its definition, cruises are about people. I would hope everyone would have some compassion.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you buy your own ship. You can them ban all the service animals you want. And pray that some day neither you nor your family needs one.

You are right, cruises are about people.....not dogs. If you have a genuine service dog, he is welcome and will not cause problems. If you have a mutt you want to call a service animal and take it wherever you want, then you should buy your own ship and take as many dogs as you want.

Doug

I have absolutely no problem with true service dogs. In fact they give me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

I'm positive I saw at least one pet being passed off as a service dog and it was all I could do not to say something.

First off a poodle or any dog can become a service dog.But it is true they must go through many months of professional training and they should also have some retraining every few years.

Second these service dogs do not cruise for free. Each port requires documentation of some sort and some require money. Some places like Hawaii require your service dog to be checked by a vet when you arrive. It can be rather expensive for a disabled person to cruise with a service dog.

Finally yes some people are dishonest and do not have real service animals. I think we have all seen this. But again sometimes it's hard to know the fakes service dogs from the real ones. Lets face it some people will lie to their own mother in order to get what they want.

Please if you do see a service dog on a ship, most love to tell you about their dog and would be happy for you to ask about them. Just don't assume that because it's a poodle or other small dog that it isn't a service dog. BTW poodles are one of the smartest breeds out there.

No I do not have a poodle, but I do have a Boston Terrier and he is NOT a service dog. He stays with relatives when we are gone. Please be kind to those that are disabled. I won't wish that on anyone.

First off a poodle or any dog can become a service dog.But it is true they must go through many months of professional training and they should also have some retraining every few years.

Second these service dogs do not cruise for free. Each port requires documentation of some sort and some require money. Some places like Hawaii require your service dog to be checked by a vet when you arrive. It can be rather expensive for a disabled person to cruise with a service dog.

Finally yes some people are dishonest and do not have real service animals. I think we have all seen this. But again sometimes it's hard to know the fakes service dogs from the real ones. Lets face it some people will lie to their own mother in order to get what they want.

Please if you do see a service dog on a ship, most love to tell you about their dog and would be happy for you to ask about them. Just don't assume that because it's a poodle or other small dog that it isn't a service dog. BTW poodles are one of the smartest breeds out there.

No I do not have a poodle, but I do have a Boston Terrier and he is NOT a service dog. He stays with relatives when we are gone. Please be kind to those that are disabled. I won't wish that on anyone.

Like!