Alaska or Caribbean? Which would you choose?

Where are you from? I live in the PNW, so I usually prefer tropical climates for my cruises. I did my first Alaska cruise in 2012, as part of a B2B2B, because I wanted to board in Seattle.

But I probably wouldn't do it again, because it is the same scenery that I live in, minus the glaciers.

If it's not something that you don't normally see, choose Alaska...it is really beautiful.

Well, I can see in your signature, that you have cruised the Caribbean several times. So you should experience something new and choose Alaska :)

I haven't been there yet, but will be there in May. And I'm really looking forward to! :)

Now I know that these are two completely different cruises, but given the choice, which would you rather take? Alaska looks amazing, but is it worth losing the warm climate of the caribbean?

This is really your question? 100%+ Alaska

Depends when you're cruising. We do Alaska to escape the summer heat or fall allergies and the Caribbean in the winter.

Also consider a cruise tour. You don't see Mt. McKinley (Norbertsneice's photo) unless you go to the McKinley Princess lodge or Denali. It's better to do both, because you'll have twice the chances to see it peek out from behind the clouds.

Edited by knittinggirl

Now I know that these are two completely different cruises, but given the choice, which would you rather take? Alaska looks amazing, but is it worth losing the warm climate of the caribbean?

My wife and I have also debated this choice also. With the extra cost of Alaska we can cruise for two weeks in the Caribbean. It also helps that where we live we have all the same offerings as Alaska minus the glaciers.:)

We have been on around 25 cruises, including the Caribbean, Hawaii, Canada, and Alaska. Alaska is our favorite followed by a Canal transit. Both times were in September.

The Caribbean is a place you go see. Alaska is a place you go experience.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

It seems you've done a few in the Carribbean so try Alaska, preferably the one-way cruises. Alaska weather is variable but if you go mid-June onwards it should be OK.

Another advantage of mid-June/early July is the long long daylight hours.

There is no contest here. Alaska by a far margin. Of course it is your choice and only you know what you like. But I can tell you you will never be sorry as Alaska is incredibly beautiful. Yes it is expensive and you can do two Caribbean cruises for about the same price. We like the beach too but given a choice we'd be on our way to Alaska. And we are on May 28th for the 31 May Coral Princess trip. We went for our 40th wedding anniversary and now are returning for our 45th. Yeah, it's that good!

Cheers, Kenn

I have done both and for scenery, Alaska wins by a mile. However, you might also consider what sort of surmise experience you are looking for. The median age on our Alaska cruise was much older than the Caribbean and if you have children who would like to have lots of kids in the kids club, you might prefer the Caribbean cruises. For us, the excursions in Alaska were fairly pricey for what we wanted to do as well, so compare that for yourself. One other consideration, on the interior passage of Alaska, you generally have land within view at all times. If you enjoy that vast, wide open sea on sea days, Caribbean might be better. They both have their positives! We are from Florida originally, so we did love sailing out of Seattle and spending a few days in the Pacific Northwest. Hope that helps.