Opening Balconies on Crown Princess

eeyore81

We just booked 2 balcony cabins for our Alaska cruise on the Crown Princess. Is there anyway to tell if we will be able to open a door between the balconies. I read somewhere that not all balconies can be opened between each other. Thanks!

While the whole partition can't be opened on Crown there are "service doors" between the cabins that are useful to walk back & forth from one balcony to another. The cabin steward can open it for you.

LuLu

~~~~

We just booked 2 balcony cabins for our Alaska cruise on the Crown Princess. Is there anyway to tell if we will be able to open a door between the balconies. I read somewhere that not all balconies can be opened between each other. Thanks!

If there is no bulkhead between the two cabins, there will be a door in the balcony divider. If your cabins are within the same 100s group, ie both 500s, you'll be fine.

Lew

I credit Pam for this info.

If you look at the deck plans online, you can see the bulkhead doors in the hallway. As long as your rooms don't fall on different sides of one of those doors, you're fine

http://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=KP

As -Lew- said, you can also tell where the bulkheads are because the numbers jump to the next hundred. B342 and B402 are next door to each other, but their balconies wouldn't connect

The only two balconies left on our sailing were A701 and A643. Does that mean the balconies will not be connected?

Unfortunately, that appears to be the case. You can see the bulkhead door between the two cabins on the deck plan here...select Aloha deck to view your cabin location.

Lew

The only two balconies left on our sailing were A701 and A643. Does that mean the balconies will not be connected?

When I was on emerald -- one port day they were cleaning

the balconies. I could see -- what looked like -- the length

of the ship. I can't swear that it was the entire ship, but

it was way more than one x00 block of cabins.

That x00 legend gets repeated here constantly. Perhaps it is

true in some specific situation. But, like so many things on

cruise critic, a specific situation is extrapolated into a general

rule. And, the general rule is often wrong.

When on the Emerald Princess this January, they were cleaning balcony railings and had opened a bunch and you could look a long way down. Here is a picture of that occurance.

The picture was taken from C622 looking forward. The next bulkhead is 9 cabins away, and I think I can see more than 9 doors before you loose count.

Dave

847925927_2014CaribbeanCruise028.jpg.1e30302bd9c45c8b3caf62847ec9f0f0.jpg

Edited by westwind6371

That x00 legend gets repeated here constantly. Perhaps it is true in some specific situation. But, like so many things on cruise critic, a specific situation is extrapolated into a general rule. And, the general rule is often wrong.
I agree, and I was one of the ones that often quoted the 'rule' until I traveled with a group in adjoining cabins. :o I can now state absolutely that this 'rule' is not always the case, at least on the Crown Princess, Caribe deck, between the 200's and 300's.

• 1 year later...
I agree, and I was one of the ones that often quoted the 'rule' until I traveled with a group in adjoining cabins. :o I can now state absolutely that this 'rule' is not always the case, at least on the Crown Princess, Caribe deck, between the 200's and 300's.

cherylandtk - If I am reading this correctly then C258 and C302 do have the door that can be opened to connect the balconies - correct?

I don't believe it is true that balcony doors can't be opened between cabins on either side of a fire door on the Grand class ship and Coral/Island. That is true on the Sun, Sea and Dawn and those cabins are so marked. Those balconies are cut into the hull and the balcony partitions could serve as a fire break. That is not the case on the newer ships. There are doors in the balcony partitions at fire doors and a fire could easily go over, under or around the partition even if the partition door was closed.

If you look at the deck plans online, you can see the bulkhead doors in the hallway. As long as your rooms don't fall on different sides of one of those doors, you're fine

http://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=KP

As -Lew- said, you can also tell where the bulkheads are because the numbers jump to the next hundred. B342 and B402 are next door to each other, but their balconies wouldn't connect

It may depend on which deck you are on. Last July we were on the Crown in cabin R412. We had friends in the cabin next door, R502, and we were able to open the door in the balcony divider. In the hallway in front of the cabin were the bulkhead fire doors. So, on that ship and on that deck, the fact that our two cabins were numbered in different 100's and the hallway had a fire door was not an indication that the balconies could not be opened to each other. I know this only adds to your uncertainty and I am sorry about that.

It is my understanding that those two will not open.

You can still talk and pass things back and forth