Solo traveler on privately arranged shore excursions

DRS/NC

Could those of you who've arranged such trips please advise me?

I've never joined a privately arranged shore excursion, but am considering it. Often, the excursion is (for example) "car for 6 for $300.0; $50.00/person."

Are solo travelers generally welcome? Is the odd seat a problem? I realize that it might require re-configuring the cost per person.

I take the ships' excursions because they're easier, have available help if there's a problem & the ship will wait if there's a problem.

Thanks!

Could those of you who've arranged such trips please advise me?

I've never joined a privately arranged shore excursion, but am considering it. Often, the excursion is (for example) "car for 6 for $300.0; $50.00/person."

Are solo travelers generally welcome? Is the odd seat a problem? I realize that it might require re-configuring the cost per person.

I take the ships' excursions because they're easier, have available help if there's a problem & the ship will wait if there's a problem.

Thanks!

I've never had a problem as a single. Everybody knows upfront that I'm single and they will have to pay a little more. In your example everyone would have to pay $60. Just be sure and let the organizer know that you're a single. I always ask if it's a problem but I've never been told yes yet. Go and have fun!

FYI, I do a mix of private and ship excursions depending on the offerings.

Don't assume that everyone else on the private excursion is a couple - there might be family or friend groups of odd-numbers (say father-mother-adult son, or three girlfriends). It's easy to think when you're solo that everyone else is in pairs, but it's not always true.

Hi. I have been the organizer/coordinator on many private tours. Whether those joining are single or 2,3 or whatever is not a problem. Each tour has a limit or I decide how many people would be best. I then ask for interest on the Roll Call and just close the tour when we hit the "magic number". We then split the cost equally.

Margee

I travel solo as well as touring solo on occasion when I am traveling with friends. It's not a problem at all and typically so much better than a ship's tour. Give it a try.

I can see the OP's concern. I have seen posters on Roll Calls specify "couples" when looking for others to share tours. Even though I've always cruised as part of a 'couple' (be it DH or a friend), that is a HUGE strike against the poster looking for only couples. Frankly, they are off my 'I'd like to meet them' list. I've met a number of interesting people traveling as a single. One of them I know has asked about joining tours, even though 'couple' was origionally specified. Her interest has been ignored - and couples later looking to share have been accepted to join the private tour. So yes, there are jerks out there. You're better off not being stuck with them on a tour anyway.

If I was running the excursion, I'd tell the solo that they were welcome--if they were willing to foot the bill for two seats if another solo didn't join. I would never expect others to ante up the difference.

I know that I'd be peeved if I booked a private excursion for $100 a head and then was told because a solo had joined and they couldn't find another solo that I'd have to pay an extra $60 per couple. I'd probably just walk away as it wasn't what I had signed up for. It's not so much the money as the principle.

If I was running the excursion, I'd tell the solo that they were welcome--if they were willing to foot the bill for two seats if another solo didn't join.

Interesting concept -- do you tell the other passengers when they sign up that they have to also foot the bill if there aren't the right number of people to join in and fill the empty seats (i.e. what about if a group of 3 wanted to join)? Why would you insist on filling the seats with just pairs of people?

I know that I'd be peeved if I booked a private excursion for $100 a head and then was told because a solo had joined and they couldn't find another solo that I'd have to pay an extra $60 per couple. I'd probably just walk away as it wasn't what I had signed up for. It's not so much the money as the principle.

As a solo traveler, I've set up a number of private tours and that little snafu is best avoided by advising the price for the entire vehicle (be it 500 euro, $250, etc.) will be split equally among the number of participants.

I've been on private tours with 3 participants and up to 8. (I don't arrange tours any larger than that.) Heck, I've been on private tours of one.

When you are arranging tours that go beyond the "basic, must-see" sights -- which most of mine are -- you're usually happy just to have another person, let alone two or three or five, to help defray the costs.

Interesting concept -- do you tell the other passengers when they sign up that they have to also foot the bill if there aren't the right number of people to join in and fill the empty seats (i.e. what about if a group of 3 wanted to join)? Why would you insist on filling the seats with just pairs of people?

It would really depend on the cost and the number of seats. If it was an $800 tour with six seats, it would be a lot to absorb that single. I might tell the single that they were welcome if I could find another single or a trio, but if I had two couples, sorry unless they wanted to buy both seats.

If I were a single I would expect to pay for both seats unless another single could be found.

It would really depend on the cost and the number of seats. If it was an $800 tour with six seats, it would be a lot to absorb that single. I might tell the single that they were welcome if I could find another single or a trio, but if I had two couples, sorry unless they wanted to buy both seats.

If I were a single I would expect to pay for both seats unless another single could be found.

So you'd cancel the tour if you couldn't find the other couple? Personally, I'd rather have 5 than 4.

So you'd cancel the tour if you couldn't find the other couple? Personally, I'd rather have 5 than 4.

Like I said, if it were an expensive tour, yes. There's a big difference between $100 pp and $150 pp.