FLL pre-departure hotel suggestions please

jkgourmet

We are two couples, one flying in from Phoenix, the other Raleigh, meeting at the hotel prior to a Celebrity cruise December 4th departure. Questions:

1. Celebrity departs from Port Everglades, correct?

2. For these one night stays, we prefer to stay in hotels that are moderately priced, clean, and in convenient locations near restaurants, maybe a shop where we can buy a bottle of wine, etc. (La Quinta type usually fits the bill.) We don't care about being able to see the ships in the port, and that time of year isn't going to beach. Is there a neighborhood that we might concentrate on?

3. We'd prefer a free shuttle from the airport, but since it's four of us, we can easily get a cab from the hotel to the port. Considering #2, does anyone have specific recommendations?

We stayed at Sleep Inn, Dania and were very satisfied.

Publix and Walgreens next door.

Mexican, Italian and Chinese restaurant across the road.

Complimentary shuttle from the airport.

Complimentary breakfast.

$5pp shuttle to the ship.

And all for a modest price. (I did use LMT website and got a room for $88).

After all that, there isn't much else around the hotel.

Edited by OVgirl

We have stayed several times at Sleep Inn Dania Beach. We walked to the Publix after we arrived and bought couple croissants and slices of cheese from Deli and bottle of wine. Had our Happy Hour by the pool. The Mexican restaurant is nice and priced 'right'. In the morning before having the provided breakfast we walked to the ocean and walked a bit on the Hollywood Broadwalk. Ocean is a little over a mile from Sleep Inn. The drive to the port is about 15-20 min. We have left our car in their lot and used their shuttle. Other times drove to port and parked in the Midport garage.

Since you are going when rates are dropped pre holidays, I'd look at Embassy Suites on 17th St. Or check valuetrips.com for the Hyatt Place which is right behind the E Suites. Rate there is only $129 then and a great location for stores and restauarants. I wouldn't stay at the airport since rates will be very affordable in town close to the port and the city for walks.

The Hyatt place near 17th Street Causeway fits what you want.

Cheaper than the Embassy, Free Airport Shuttle, free breakfast/wifi, right next to Harbor Shops (Total Wine, Publix, Duffy's, Lauderdale Grill, etc.). You can catch a cab in the morning for under $20 with tip for the 4 of you.

And you'd be surprised at how "warm" a Fort Lauderdale December "could be". It may very well be some good beach weather when you arrive (it could also be in the 40's).

The Hyatt place near 17th Street Causeway fits what you want.

Cheaper than the Embassy, Free Airport Shuttle, free breakfast/wifi, right next to Harbor Shops (Total Wine, Publix, Duffy's, Lauderdale Grill, etc.). You can catch a cab in the morning for under $20 with tip for the 4 of you.

And you'd be surprised at how "warm" a Fort Lauderdale December "could be". It may very well be some good beach weather when you arrive (it could also be in the 40's).

Hyatt is $159 plus taxes, etc. (before any AAA discounts)

Embassy Suites $199 plus taxes, etc. (before any AAA discounts)

You guys obviously have a different definition of "moderate La Quinta style" than we do!

The aforementioned Sleep Inn in more moderately priced ($90-$100 plus taxes, etc. before any AAA discounts); however, it is clear from the Trip Advisor reviews that they are currently in the middle of a large renovation and taking their hotel from smoking to non-smoking. The reviews are all over the place.

Any place else someone can recommend in that lower price range?

If you really want to bang for your buck then go to Hotwire.com where you can book two rooms at a time. There are going to be great deals there for your date. Use the HOTEL LISTS on betterbidding.com to narrow down which hotels you are looking at. And read reviews and location info. No cancellations, so be sure when you book.

OR...

Another option is to go to lastminutetravel.com, join their club for free and you can get great rates there and KNOW the hotel PLUS no cancellation fees up to 3 days prior to stay. I just checked and you can get a one bedroom suite at the VERY NICE Doubletree Gallery One for only $101 by joining the club. If you don't want to join, then just do a "chat" with one of the agents or call and they will give you a few dollars off this property. It is the first one listed for $108 on that site. FANTASTIC deal, walking to anything and right on the intracoastal. MUCH MUCH better than a chain hotel out at the airport. :)

This site is very popular and safe to book with.

Honestly your date (Dec 3) is going to give you some great rates and I would NOT EVER stay out by the airport when deals abound in town.

Good luck.

PS Make sure your ship leaves from Port Everglades. Sounds like you didn't know for sure.

Edited by eandj

roysmith99, the Hilton MVP program used to be for athletes attending tournaments and the press covering those events. It has been changed to cover the athletes only now. I have seen many people push the rate, which as stated on the home page states it is 20% off for athletes attending tournaments. Yes, usually you will get away with it, but you should also be including the information that if they are caught booking this rate fraudulently the hotel has the right to change their rate to whatever the going rack rate is.

My son travels extensively for tournaments and we only book that rate for him, we would never abuse it & book it for ourselves. When you are at a Hilton hotel and there is an event nearby, the hotel is full of people for that event. When you are the only one checking in with no sporting equipment, uniforms or team jackets on you really stand out as you are not part of that tournament.....you stand out even more if you are checking in under that rate and there is no one else there for an event. Please share the down side that can happen when they get caught booking under a rate they are not entitled to

Actually altho we have booked a few times at different participating hotels with the MVP discount, I found it is now being discontinued. However the Hilton Honors program continues.

ABC, I have never heard the "athlete" story before. And we have never been asked at check in nor saw any team groups at any of the Hiltons where we used that discount. Hilton books for all kinds of groups. Not sure why you think that code was only for athletic groups. Not sure too why you would think you wouldn't be "entitled" to the same rate you booked for your son. Well, since the code is gone, doesn't really matter.

Edited by eandj

Actually altho we have booked a few times at different participating hotels with the MVP discount, I found it is now being discontinued. However the Hilton Honors program continues.

SORRY......I am going to correct myself here. :o The Hilton family MVP plan still IS opperating. (At participating hotels) We are honors members and I just checked for a room and yes I was able to use the family code as part of the hilton honors plan. No we aren't athletes in team jackets.:D And nowhere online does it ask to prove anything but my honors number.

Edited by eandj

If you go to the Hilton MVP home page you will see it is for athletes participating in sports events right at the very top right hand side. When you book through that rate a clause will come up at the very end of your reservation with the rate details. It also says they will charge you the going rack rate if they find you have booked this fraudulently. My son travels all over the country and some years he has used this rate 8-10 times per year, sometimes for 2 weeks at a time, we have only been asked once for his credentials, so usually you "get away with it" if you book this way, I just wouldn't want a first timer booking this to fit into their budget and be blind sided by a check-in person doing their job and the rate doubled on someone because they don't know what this rate is for. It's the same with AAA, very few will ask for your card at check-in, but if they do & you don't have one, you're not going to get that rate.

If you really want to bang for your buck then go to Hotwire.com where you can book two rooms at a time. There are going to be great deals there for your date. Use the HOTEL LISTS on betterbidding.com to narrow down which hotels you are looking at. And read reviews and location info. No cancellations, so be sure when you book.

OR...

Another option is to go to lastminutetravel.com, join their club for free and you can get great rates there and KNOW the hotel PLUS no cancellation fees up to 3 days prior to stay. I just checked and you can get a one bedroom suite at the VERY NICE Doubletree Gallery One for only $101 by joining the club. If you don't want to join, then just do a "chat" with one of the agents or call and they will give you a few dollars off this property. It is the first one listed for $108 on that site. FANTASTIC deal, walking to anything and right on the intracoastal. MUCH MUCH better than a chain hotel out at the airport. :)

This site is very popular and safe to book with.

Honestly your date (Dec 3) is going to give you some great rates and I would NOT EVER stay out by the airport when deals abound in town.

Good luck.

PS Make sure your ship leaves from Port Everglades. Sounds like you didn't know for sure.

I just went to Last minute travel.com and tried to join their club...it was not free...they wanted $49.99 Am I missing something?

Since you are going when rates are dropped pre holidays, I'd look at Embassy Suites on 17th St. Or check valuetrips.com for the Hyatt Place which is right behind the E Suites. Rate there is only $129 then and a great location for stores and restauarants. I wouldn't stay at the airport since rates will be very affordable in town close to the port and the city for walks.

eandj have you used valuetrips often? I have never gone thru a travel site before. Have you had good results? Any problems? I am asking cuz they have Hyatt Place for $99 when I need it! Wonderful price ..too good to be true? Thanks

If you go to the Hilton MVP home page you will see it is for athletes participating in sports events right at the very top right hand side. When you book through that rate a clause will come up at the very end of your reservation with the rate details. It also says they will charge you the going rack rate if they find you have booked this fraudulently. .

I'm sorry. I don't see anything on the home page, other than that Hilton supports athletes and pictures of various sports. There is NOTHING that states this rate is for athletes only. :confused:

And when I book the Bahia Mar, I get the MVP rate with NO clause saying I need to be an athlete and prove it. So I don't get what you see that says for us to use this plan ( which is part of Hilton Honors portfolio) is being fraudulant.

Could you please add the links to the information you are referring to?

This is news to me and I have booked MANY Hiltons too. Some which do participate in MVP rates and some not. Help me out here. I am totally confused on what you are saying and seeing.:rolleyes:

I just went to Last minute travel.com and tried to join their club...it was not free...they wanted $49.99 Am I missing something?

I just booked through LMT for April 25-27th at the Hyatt Pier 66 for $105 a night. Their regular price is around $229 a night

I just found a link that gives me a 100% discount so please disreguard..sorry.

Glad you found it. We have used our "free membership" for over a year and a half with no problems and no charges. I love the liberal cancellation policy. Gives you time to shop around closer to the date. I have cancelled and rebooked here a couple times with no problems. They give the credit card a refund within 3 or 4 days no questions asked.

And yes I have used valuetrips once. MANY others use it booking that hotel in Ft L. Sometimes if it's a peak season you will be told they will get back to you with availibility. BUt most often they can add to their room inventory and you get the room.

Edited by eandj

Glad you found it. We have used our "free membership" for over a year and a half with no problems and no charges. I love the liberal cancellation policy. Gives you time to shop around closer to the date. I have cancelled and rebooked here a couple times with no problems. They give the credit card a refund within 3 or 4 days no questions asked.

And yes I have used valuetrips once. MANY others use it booking that hotel in Ft L. Sometimes if it's a peak season you will be told they will get back to you with availibility. BUt most often they can add to their room inventory and you get the room.

Thank you for your help and quick reply..helps make my decision easier.

I actually just did a MVP booking this morning for my son. At the top of the MVP web site, you will see a sports team jumping up after a win with the text: "Dream Big, As a valued partner in sports, get 20% off the best available rate at participating hotels and resorts within the Hilton HHonors portfolio."

As you go to book your reservation this will come up: "•We reserve the right to cancel or modify reservations where it appears that a customer has engaged in fraudulent or inappropriate activity or under other circumstances where it appears that the reservations contain or resulted from a mistake or error."

When you complete your reservation, this comes up: "Thank you for booking your reservation on the MVP Portal/Team USA® Advantage website. We look forward to seeing you." Notice the header on every page, each one is a different sport, soccer, baseball, basketball, etc.

If you google Hilton MVP rate, you will find plenty of conversations regarding this rate. I'm not saying you can't book under this rate and get away with it, you've been doing so for quite a while and haven't got caught yet. What I am saying is you are booking under a rate you are not entitled to. This was set up as a rate to help with the travel costs incurred by athletes when they are traveling to competitions. When that rate gets abused by others, eventually they will cancel the program. As you google the conversations on this rate, many compare it to people speeding and getting away with it most of the time, but eventually you will get caught. In our case, we use it for the purpose it is intended for. We were told about the rate when checking in for a tournament, they said as long as we were attending a sporting event we could use this rate. Same as our handicap placard we have for our daughter, it's in the car, but unless she is with us we don't use it, just saying....

I am also confused I have a reservation under the MVP program, all I need to log in the Hilton Honor program is to use my hilton number, there is no athlete clause or athlete on my reservation, there is a picture of flowers, and no comment about being an athlete.

I am also confused I have a reservation under the MVP program, all I need to log in the Hilton Honor program is to use my hilton number, there is no athlete clause or athlete on my reservation, there is a picture of flowers, and no comment about being an athlete.

Glad I'm not the only one that is not sure what ABC is talking about. :confused: The MVP rate is not restricted to athletes or teams anywhere on the hilton honors bookings page. Perhaps at one time there was a special offer presented to teams, schools etc. like she said in her original post. But there are no restrictions when booking online now.

Saying it is "fraudulant" for me ( and apparently you and all the other hiltonhonors members) to use the site to book our stays is more than a stretch. A picture of athletes and Hilton printing a slogan that they are a friend to athletes on their web page, doesn't really lay out any rules and restrictions. I have no fear of "getting caught" using the web page offered by Hilton, to me, to book and prepay my room. We actually get a thank you everytime I book with them.;)

Happy traveling!

Edited by eandj

Hyatt is $159 plus taxes, etc. (before any AAA discounts)

Embassy Suites $199 plus taxes, etc. (before any AAA discounts)

You guys obviously have a different definition of "moderate La Quinta style" than we do!

The aforementioned Sleep Inn in more moderately priced ($90-$100 plus taxes, etc. before any AAA discounts); however, it is clear from the Trip Advisor reviews that they are currently in the middle of a large renovation and taking their hotel from smoking to non-smoking. The reviews are all over the place.

Any place else someone can recommend in that lower price range?

There are some good prices on http://www.lastminutetravel.com

The first hotel listed is 3.5* for $108. It is the Doubletree Gallery One. They do not have an airport shuttle but I understand shops are nearby. The Fairfield Inn by the airport is $116 and they have free airport shuttle and free breakfast but I do not know if shops are nearby. If you call the toll free number on the LMT website they will take a few dollars off the price.

Edited by Marie51

I think I know why it's letting you book this rate, you have acquired the sports teams group code for the mvp rates and you're plugging it in through the main Hilton site. There is a Hilton MVP site, separate from the regular Hilton site, this is the link they give athletes to book through to get the MVP rates:

http://directconnect.hilton.com/dc/dclogin.jhtml;jsessionid=BLRKFUDSDE1AICSQA003EWQ?_pNd=6KChO3qjh2&_requestid=13927

Edited by ABC Cruisers