How soon can we Board Ship?

joeyillinois

Going on Volendam in May (Alaska). The ship leaves at 5 p.m. how soon are we allowed to get on the ship. And, if early are there any advantages to do that?

Boarding will ordinarily start around 11:30am, but it can be delayed by several things such as late arrival to port, health and safety inspections, deep cleanings (if necessary), and the like.

If you have taken at least 1 cruise on a Carnival-owned line, you can attend the Mariner's Lunch served in the MDR from noon to 1:30pm.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by 0bnxshs

You must be on board for the safety muster, and if the ship sails at 5:00 that will be around 4:15.

Even if you don't board early enough to make the Mariner Lunch, getting on earlier than necessary gives you time to explore the ship, make various reservations, probably unpack your bags, and just unwind a bit before getting ready for the evening.

Canada Place can be a zoo.

We like to get there between 10:30 and 11 -- go through customs, security and check-in as soon as possible.

Boarding usually begins around 11:30. Once on the ship, with HAL's new policy, the cabins are usually ready at that time -- we drop off our carry-ons and then do whatever we want to do. Sometimes we for lunch.

Getting on early also gives us a chance to check all pre-booked specialty restaurants and/or make more reservations.

Thank you all so much for the information!! I was trying to recall from a cruise we took on Carnival from Galvaston to Mexico about 4 (5?) years ago. Just remember lines and hectic... I guess I was thinking 2 hours ahead .. I'm so glad I asked this will work out better for us. Now I just hope my "train" gets there in time from Seattle. :)

For the Mariners Lunch -- do I have to have a "number" or some sort of proof.

For the Mariners Lunch -- do I have to have a "number" or some sort of proof.

If you're a Mariner, it will show on your key card. There will be a star over an "M" showing your status. Sometimes there are so many Mariners that the lunch is restricted to the Mariners with more stars, but not usually.

Canada Place can be a zoo.

We like to get there between 10:30 and 11 -- go through customs, security and check-in as soon as possible.

Boarding usually begins around 11:30. Once on the ship, with HAL's new policy, the cabins are usually ready at that time -- we drop off our carry-ons and then do whatever we want to do. Sometimes we for lunch.

Getting on early also gives us a chance to check all pre-booked specialty restaurants and/or make more reservations.

Now I need help. So we need to go through customs when we arrive in Vancouver and also before we get on the ship?

Now I need help. So we need to go through customs when we arrive in Vancouver and also before we get on the ship?

Yes. Your passport will be scanned and you will be on your way in about one minute. They must want to know who is coming and leaving the country.

If you're a Mariner, it will show on your key card. There will be a star over an "M" showing your status. Sometimes there are so many Mariners that the lunch is restricted to the Mariners with more stars, but not usually.

We have friends that are one star Mariners. If the lunch is restricted to higher stars will their NS status help?

When you arrive in Vancouver you will have to go through Canadian customs. When you board the ship for Alaska you have to go through American customs at the pier.

We have friends that are one star Mariners. If the lunch is restricted to higher stars will their NS status help?

I doubt it, as how could they check (plus they really do not want to get into that issue as it would take too much time and trouble for them on a busy day).

If you're flying in, Canada Borders Services Agency (CBSA) will screen/process you at YVR (Vancouver International Airport) because you are arriving in a, to you, foreign country (unless of course, you're Canadian ;)).

United States Customs and Borders Protection (U.S. CBP) has agents stationed at YVR for preclearance in returning to the U.S.

NS key card is gold instead of blue

You are right. I did not think of that, I was thinking NS stood for something else - my fault.

I would think they would just wave a Neptune Suite passenger in.

Edited by DaveOKC

If you're flying in, Canada Borders Services Agency (CBSA) will screen/process you at YVR (Vancouver International Airport) because you are arriving in a, to you, foreign country (unless of course, you're Canadian ;)).

United States Customs and Borders Protection (U.S. CBP) has agents stationed at YVR for preclearance in returning to the U.S.

Thanks...At first I did not realize it was US Customs. I thought it was Canadian customs again. Hence the confusion. Now it all makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Edited by Laminator