oosterdam

esimon

Oosterdam is a wonderful ship. I'm sure you know she is the second of the four Vista sisters. We sailed Oosterdam to Alaska June 2012 and had a great cruise..... we rate it high among our best out of more than 80 HAL cruises. :) We loved every moment of that cruise and I went 'under protest'. :) I never really wanted to sail Alaska but DH did and I agreed to go. Am I ever glad we went.

The Oosterdam has spent the northern winter Down Under, so there aren't as many posters from this site as, say, the Caribbean. That explains the lack of posts about her the last few months.

The ship will be heading back for the Alaska runs in about a month, and reports will pick up when she gets back.

I don't see lots of references to this ship - Just curious about insights from those of you who have sailed on her. We are doing Alaska in May and would like any input about the ship itself

Oosterdam is a wonderful ship.

I couldn't agree more. We have sailed on the Oosterdam to Alaska and to Hawaii and although totally different destinations, the ship handled the trips without any problems, at least to our knowledge. We had the privilege of having Captain Arjen van de loo as our Captain both times. He is a wonderful captain and very personable man, easily approachable, and a great story teller. Oh I forgot also a great pancake chef. His cooking demos are something to see if your cruise allows. I have never seen the Oosterdam in poor repair. Her crew appears to take pride in their vessel and the cleaning and polishing is endless. I am sure you will enjoy your Oosterdam cruise and wish I could join you.

One last thing, the front deck will be open for passenger access during the time you are in the glacier fields and hot soup, sandwiches, and hot chocolate will be available.

Our Captain last May was Henk Draper. Honestly he seemed a bit grumpy- at least his announcements. the only time we saw him was at the cocktail party in the Crows Nest

I heard a guest ask a crew member if they could have visitors aboard in port and the reply was "not with this captain- no visitors for anyone".

Morale didn't seem as high as I am used to on HAL.

I've had two cruises on the "O". No problems. Friendly crew. I did find the interior decor a tad gaudy. Will see soon what she is like now.

We will be sailing on Oosterdam in June. We are used to cruising on Carnival so the gaudy decor won't bother us. :D

we were on the big O from Sydney Aus. to Auckland NZ from 2/2 to 2/16 covering over 3,400 nm.

loved the ship and the crew. we were in cabin 8079 (SS cabin starboard side)just aft of mid ships elevator. a little worn here and there but not bad.

I think you will enjoy Alaska on the big O

Thanks for all the various comments / replys to the OP.

We've avoided the Vista's class HAL ships due to sizing considerations.

The Big 'O' sounds like a well run ship with the cruise staffing 'second to none'.

I look forward to a forthcoming cruise on 'her'.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Be well.

Bob

We've sailed on the "O" three times: Alaska 2x and Mexican Riviera once. Enjoyed all three cruises. Really enjoyed the last one to Alaska this past July. HAL does a great job of keeping her ship shape.

DH and I sailed on the 'O' in November / December 2013. We certainly didn't see any problems with the décor and general up-keep, but then again, we weren't looking for any either. We had Open Dining and there was the odd problem early on in the Dining Room (wine waiters were in short supply and we sent a couple of dishes back) but we got a that sorted out in the first 2 days with a set time and table so got to know the waiters well and had no problems for the rest of the cruise.

We found the crew very friendly and there were always smiles and hello's.

Anne-Marie

Our Captain last May was Henk Draper. Honestly he seemed a bit grumpy- at least his announcements. the only time we saw him was at the cocktail party in the Crows Nest

I heard a guest ask a crew member if they could have visitors aboard in port and the reply was "not with this captain- no visitors for anyone".

Morale didn't seem as high as I am used to on HAL.

That explains why our request for our Travel Agent to visit on board the Oosterdam was denied, during a Christmas Cruise around New Zealand.

We had been permitted to have relatives visit us on board during a previous cruise around NZ on the Volendam.