deckchairs

ruby32

We are travelling on the Riviera next November in the Caribbean. I am interested in what experiences people have had with obtaining deckchairs around the pool. As well, I am wondering about the rules for saving/holding chairs and the enforcement or lack thereof of the rules.

We are travelling on the Riviera next November in the Caribbean. I am interested in what experiences people have had with obtaining deckchairs around the pool. As well, I am wondering about the rules for saving/holding chairs and the enforcement or lack thereof of the rules.

We were on the Riviera last month. While we usually could get chairs in the sun, ones in the shade were harder to get. They also have these double lounges near the pool and for some reason they were often vacant. I did not see "the lounge hog police" but have heard they do patrol.

If our experience of 28 days in the S. Pacific is any example, don't expect the staff to confront the chair hogs. We saw lots of articles on chairs at 8 am on our way to the Terrace for breakfast. On our return from breakfast, same situation. What really was funny was the stack of numbered tags for staff to use if they remove articles from loungers. The number 1 was always on the stack regardless of the time of day we passed- 8,9,11,1 or 3-always number1 was there. The CD made numerous announcements during the cruise, but obviously to no effect. Unless Mgmt empowers the staff and makes it a key part of their job, don't expect any change. Plus, you can't pi..... Off a paying passenger, can you?

We were on the Riviera last month. While we usually could get chairs in the sun, ones in the shade were harder to get. They also have these double lounges near the pool and for some reason they were often vacant. I did not see "the lounge hog police" but have heard they do patrol.

I found it very simple..If I was sitting in a chair and a lounge wasnt used for 45 minutes, I removed the item and gave it to the steward..and took the lounge..

Jancruz1

I believe that you are not supposed to save lounge chairs for more than 30 minutes. However, there absolutely was no enforcement by any of the staff of this rule on our January Riviera Caribbean Hideaways cruise; they never came back to clear anyone's stuff.

On our sea days, many hogged the chairs all day long even if using them only for a few minutes. Some even told me of people keeping chairs in both the shade and the sun and then switching at will. The most common scenario was one of a couple saving both chairs even if the second of the pair spent the entire day doing other activities. I sat down in one that was empty for more than 45 minutes after lunch and when the couple returned was shouted at very rudely by the husband. I ended up scurrying off to my cabin's veranda for next couple of hours because I really did not want any unpleasantness or confrontation while on vacation.

It depends on the time of day I found chairs in the morning in the sun are hard to come by ... in the afternoon chairs in the shade are hard to come by

Of course it also depends on the people onboard that specific cruise

Some days (on the same cruise as Pam) we could not get a chair in the sun all day so we went to one of the areas like the sanctuary where we had a chair or lounge ..we do not stay there all day like some & if we leave for lunch we take all our belongings with us

It is just common courtesy IMO

Lyn

I found it very simple..If I was sitting in a chair and a lounge wasnt used for 45 minutes, I removed the item and gave it to the steward..and took the lounge..

Jancruz1

That's what I did on our last cruise, but I carefully put the stuff on a near table. Half an hour later the "owner" came back and called me rude for touching his stuff. He tried to bully me away, but no chance there

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Forums

Of course a trash can works even better... Touch your stuff? What stuff.

Eventually they either wise up or run out of stuff to place.

Confronted? Just say you don't speak English and smile in knowing but unconcerned posture. Tantrums are a performance that require a receptive audience to succeed.

On the last cruise we took, the pool/deck crew placed a card on the lounge/chair-they came back in 30 mins. I think and removed all items. They placed these items near the pool bar for the people to get back.

Rick

I can't speak from experience since we rarely go out to the pool deck and from what I've read on various threads here, it seems to depend on the cruise as to how diligent the "Pool Police" are.

But I agree that it is MOST irritating to see objects left on a chair and then abandoned for hours!

Mura

I can't speak from experience since we rarely go out to the pool deck and from what I've read on various threads here, it seems to depend on the cruise as to how diligent the "Pool Police" are.

But I agree that it is MOST irritating to see objects left on a chair and then abandoned for hours!

Mura

We too prefer to stay on our own deck (balcony) and only walk by the pool deck.

The issue is very cruise specific. If your cruise hits many exciting ports, then on port days, the subject is rarely an issue. It then only becomes an issue on days at sea. Also the issue comes up much more with the Carribe bound snowbirds where sun searching is the major goal of the cruise. Fighting over deck lounges rarely happens on many of the northern bound cruisess.

When the pool deck is full, we often use our verranda.

Another tip! Since we book Concierge and above, we have unlimited access to the Spa on the top deck. The lounges up there, by the whirlpool, are rarely all taken and the scenary is often just as good. ;)

Another tip! Since we book Concierge and above, we have unlimited access to the Spa on the top deck. The lounges up there, by the whirlpool, are rarely all taken and the scenary is often just as good

070254.jpg

It is gorgeous up on the Spa Deck, this is the one on the Marina, but please don't send people up to the top deck to look for it. :eek:

On all of the ships, the Spa Deck is immediately forward of the Gymnasium

101722.jpgwhich is Deck 9 on the R ships (where there are 11 decks),

125516.jpgand Deck 14 on Marina & Riviera (where there are 16 decks)

One more tip: try the Retreat - you have your own assigned space with two lounges in the shade; there are also lounges in the sun' date=' as well as tables and chairs. Best of both worlds.[/quote']

What Retreat?

they do not assign spaces on Oceania & if you mean the Cabanas they will be gone soon

• 2 weeks later...

We returned recently from a trip on the Marina - Papeete to Sydney. The one criticism I have is that I could rarely find a lounge in a desirable area. eg slightly shaded out of the direct sun. Although many announcements were made by Oceania asking people not to reserve lounges by leaving their belongings, this was common practice. Oceania does not police this at all. They also ask that guests do not remove another guest's belongings. I just wish people would be more considerate to other guests.