Live from Beijing to Bangkok: Internet policy change

shorton

We are headed to Shanghai today. A surprising policy change by Oceania regarding free Internet. In the past both passengers in the cabin could sign up for an Internet account, which made access very easy. No more. When I tried to sign my wife up, I received a message that said the cabin limit had already been reached. I ask the internet manager about the issue and he explained the new one-per-cabin account policy, which started on our cruise. I then went to the concierge, who was very surprised there had been a change in policy. After consulting with the internet guy, he called Miami. Policy change confirmed. It was originally supposed to start on the Bangkok to Rome cruise but they moved it up. An annoyance to an otherwise great voyage so far. Puzzled that Oceania did not publicize the new policy beforehand. I don't enjoy being surprised. It was so easy when we both could read e-mail at the same time.

I have to say it wouldn't be a problem for me but that is ONLY because DH is computer illiterate. So if anyone is online in our cabin it is me. So for me, this isn't a problem.

That doesn't mean I think it's a good change! Not at all.

I just today received a Regent offer that had free internet for certain cruises. Now that free internet is limited, and I'm not sure how valuable it is. For example, they give you free minutes but it is tied to the length of the cruise. I don't recall exactly but my recollection is that it was something like 200 minutes for a 10 day cruise. That might be satisfactory for many people, but probably not for me.

On the other hand, I wouldn't object to paying extra for extra minutes. But I DO object to calling it "free internet" -- and that's only on certain cruises, as I recall.

Mura

I just today received a Regent offer that had free internet for certain cruises. Now that free internet is limited, and I'm not sure how valuable it is. For example, they give you free minutes but it is tied to the length of the cruise. I don't recall exactly but my recollection is that it was something like 200 minutes for a 10 day cruise.

Mura

I got the offer as well

Number of Free Minutes Based on Length of Voyage

1-7 Nights: 200 Minutes

8-10 Nights: 300 Minutes

11-15 Nights: 400 Minutes

16 + Nights: 500 Minutes

Login per suite, accessed on one device at a time.

May be shared across a variety of devices.

it is like anything else... once the free offers are abused all suffer

Like the free incoming emails to the @ sea account ..now gone

Next you will not be allowed to bring alcohol for your cabin use or wine without paying a corkage fee upfront (like NCL) no matter where your drink it

JMO

Edited by LHT28

Hi

I have never used the internet on board in all cruises with different companies.

I do my e-mails and work and store them on the I-pad, go ashore and see where the crew are getting their wifi links and sit with them using a global micro SIM card in my iPad that transfers data up and down at the local rates of the country you are in.

Also use a App that provides all wifi sites in the port/town we Are in.

I also Skype, face to face, Instagram, send postcards and photos from my device using a local wifi or local provider that accepts my Microsim.

So I have always wanted to ask the question

Why is the internet so important when one is at sea if it is not an urgent matter.

I know from a previous experience with friends when a medical issue occurred at their place of residence Oceania provided a satellite phone and internet access etc. With no charge.

I am sorry for this but it has always intrigued me when cruising the seas.

I know land based trips which we take one has access to providers constantly so it easy and cheap

So I have always wanted to ask the question

Why is the internet so important when one is at sea if it is not an urgent matter.

Because there seems to be an increasing number of people who will just lose it if they can't check their emails every 5 minutes, across a half dozen devices. Further you now have people that don't know how to have a proper vacation and bring their work (and its always super critical life or death type stuff too:rolleyes: ) with them (never mind if the the work was truly that critical you wouldn't be in a ship which has the slowest least reliable internet connection around).

Edited by baychilla

My absolute favorite is when people freak out because they can't use the Internet to connect with the the very people whom they have just spent multiple thousands of dollars to travel away from. :D It seems that they can NEVER see the irony...

Please feel free to insert your self serving comments, justifying your need to be in constant contact with your loved ones, while at the same time eating Eggs Benedict eight thousand miles away, below:

"Ruin the cruise" if both people cannot be on the internet at the same time?

You gotta be kidding.

We did not know both of us could log on at the same time and we have always alternated. i go on to check email and when I am off my husband goes on to check email. This is NOT a big deal.

When taking a cruise meant a journey of adventure to far away places ?

That playing on a silly machine would be first and foremost in their enjoyment of not only a trip but in life its self.... Why even go?

That in and of itself is rather sad...

"Ruin the cruise" if both people cannot be on the internet at the same time?

You gotta be kidding.

We did not know both of us could log on at the same time and we have always alternated. i go on to check email and when I am off my husband goes on to check email. This is NOT a big deal.

This thread (in case this nuance has escaped you) refers to those cruises where Free Internet was being offered.

Because "no good deed EVER goes unpunished", Passengers on those Cruises started demanding TWO sign on Codes per Cabin so that BOTH passengers could be Online at the same time.

Given the HUGE new Internet Capacity that Oceania installed, even this new system might have worked, but of course, everybody leaves everything signed on 24/7, just like at home, so the demand quickly outpaced even the new WILDLY EXPENSIVE Internet Capacity (If I told you what it cost, you would call me a liar), so they had to revamp the Rules back to one Code per Cabin.

1320808869411.jpg

I understood thAt

We get free unlimited internet on every cruise. Free or we pay.

We never believed we could log on at the same time nor would we need to

IMO this is much ado about nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

about it ruining her cruise!

I do have to say though, that for what O charges for Internet, I was shocked that they would ever have let there be one account per passenger when it was offered free.

Surely, an account per cabin should be considered an excellent perk, and be all that is required, when it is $21-$28 per day for the people who DON"t happen to be on a cruise where it is free!

Think of it like an OBC -- per cabin not per person

Unless two people are traveling together and have businesses that require them both to have continual access to email, I cannot imagine why sharing an access code is important.

about it ruining her cruise!

I do have to say though, that for what O charges for Internet, I was shocked that they would ever have let there be one account per passenger when it was offered free.

Surely, an account per cabin should be considered an excellent perk, and be all that is required, when it is $21-$28 per day for the people who DON"t happen to be on a cruise where it is free!

I have paid for unlimited internet twice on very long cruises.

I do not think sharing the access code is a big deal at all

I just learned we did not have to -- LOL -- now that is changed.

There are 24 hours in a day. My husband and I have plenty of time each day to share access to the internet to check email or even to post on CC (which I sometimes do). How long does anyone think we would be on the computer??

I don't know. I just checked my 2015 World Cruise invoice and it specifies Free Unlimited Internet for 2 passengers. If there is some fine print saying, no we meant one access at a time per cabin, that is not spelled out anywhere for me. I would have expected that we would each be able to use our own distinct logon and in different parts of the ship and possibly even at the same time.

Agree that it is not a big deal to share one internet account per cabin. However, disagree with some usually very polite and helpful posters to this board who are expressing judgements about whether a vacation is "proper" if one remains in contact with loved ones via the web. We all determine for ourselves the degree of detachment from home or work we want on while on a cruise. If we enjoy remaining in touch with our children and grandchildren while on vacation and feel good about providing support to friends and family members going through some rough times, that is certainly our choice. We feel that (in moderation) it enhances our trip and makes us more comfortable being away from home.

Edited by edgee

Seriously people....how long does it take to read your emails that you cannot share one account

I have heard of spending time together but checking your emails at the same time does not seem like quality time together :D

If you are paying for each account then no problem you should be able to sign up for as many accounts as you want but when it is free ...NO

JMO

Last cruise I used the per minute rate...my internet bill was about $25 that included the $3.95 hook up fee & printing off my boarding passes

I usually buy the 200 min package for longer cruises if DH want to read his email he uses the netbook when I am done ...not a biggie

BTW Larraine I was being facetious :rolleyes:

Lyn

Would this "ruin my cruise"? No.

That said, I would be pretty upset. I am traveling with a girl friend--not a spouse. Neither of us is retired. Both of us have jobs that happen to require that we check in regularly. You can mock us for not escaping from work, but I prefer to do what's expected and stay employed. Frankly, the ability to take two consecutive weeks off from an US employer these days is rare.

Separately, I surf the web to plan things I want to do or see while traveling. Is that really unusual?

My docs say free internet for two passengers. I will absolutely make someone's life miserable (if only for a few moments) if I do not get what the documents specify.

My docs say free internet for two passengers. I will absolutely make someone's life miserable (if only for a few moments) if I do not get what the documents specify.

My invoice states

LIMITED TIME OFFER/ UNLIMITED INTERNET

If yours has for 2 people then that loophole will be closed quickly

as all the T & C state SUBJECT TO CHANGE

My invoice states

LIMITED TIME OFFER/ UNLIMITED INTERNET

If yours has for 2 people then that loophole will be closed quickly

as all the T & C state SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Promotional Amenities Guests Per Person Total

YOUR WORLD OFFER FREE UNLIMITED INTERNET MINUTES 1, 2

I have asked my TA to confirm. My doc says for Guests 1 & 2. If they take away the second access then I expect them to provide an amenity of equal value.

Promotional Amenities

Guests Per Person Total

YOUR WORLD OFFER FREE UNLIMITED INTERNET MINUTES 1, 2

I have asked my TA to confirm. My doc says for Guests 1 & 2. If they take away the second access then I expect them to provide an amenity of equal value.

TA just confirmed with Oceania that we both get free internet. I asked her to send me the name of who she spoke to so that I can print it out and have it with me on board. :cool:

I agree, when on a trip why? However on our travel docs it states "FREE UNLIMITED INTERNET MINUTES" FOR GUEST 1. 2. So I think they have to keep what they stated and can't change once "O" gives you the contract.

We won't use the internet much, but a deal is a deal.

Rick

I don't know. I just checked my 2015 World Cruise invoice and it specifies Free Unlimited Internet for 2 passengers. If there is some fine print saying, no we meant one access at a time per cabin, that is not spelled out anywhere for me. I would have expected that we would each be able to use our own distinct logon and in different parts of the ship and possibly even at the same time.

I would assume that the amenities for the World Cruise are different.

I agree, when on a trip why? However on our travel docs it states "FREE UNLIMITED INTERNET MINUTES" FOR GUEST 1. 2. So I think they have to keep what they stated and can't change once "O" gives you the contract.

We won't use the internet much, but a deal is a deal.

Rick

They can change anything they want -- the ports, the lobster in the Terrace, which brands of alcohol they offer, price of alcohol -- anything. You can likely cancel without penalty if you can demonstrate that you RELIED on that amenity in booking the cruise and that you would not have booked otherwise.

No such thing as "a deal is a deal" when the fine print says everything is subject to change. Sorry -- that's the attorney in me talking,