What spa services should we go for?

MollyFlyer

My grandmother and I are travelling on the Silhouette in April, Aqua class, and since we kinda live in the middle of nowhere, we can't exactly hit the spa whenever we feel like it and we both plan to take advantage of the ship's facilities.

Problem being, without having prior spa visits, we're not sure what services are best to opt for. I'm 29, she's 88 -- what would you recommend?

Keep it simple, basic facial and nails. Grandmother may have an attack with the price structure on a cruise ship as it will be 50% plus more than any small town home spa. Might I suggest a spa at one of the ports you are visiting, instead. No cash for the ship, but a real event for both of you.

we kinda live in the middle of nowhere, we can't exactly hit the spa whenever we feel like it and we both plan to take advantage of the ship's facilities.

Problem being, without having prior spa visits, we're not sure what services are best to opt for. I'm 29, she's 88 -- what would you recommend?

Have either of you ever had a spa visit before? How often? What services? What did you enjoy most? Or is this your very first visit ever to a spa?

On embarkation day they have a spa tour demonstrating the different treatments and services. If your enter their drawing besides the opportunity to win a service you will be bombarded with many offers and discounts during the cruise. Chances are you will be even if you don't enter as our mail box constantly had flyers from them.

It will also be difficult for anyone to be able to recommend anything at this time as a a new company, Ranch Canyon, will be taking over the Spa during March. Look on Celebrity's website for details and schedule.

����������

Edited by miched

This is the first visit either of us have had to a spa; our hometown doesn't have one, just a place where you can get your nails done (which we also haven't used, so). Hmm . . . I guess a trip to one of the port spas might be doable, but thought having booked Aqua class would give an edge.

Has anyone heard exactly when Canyon Ranch is taking over spa operations? Looking forward to trying their services. Years ago, Steiner drove me away from the spas onboard, with their snake oil hard-sell tactics. It will be nice to look forward to a hot stone massage at sea, once more! :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

On embarkation day they have a spa tour demonstrating the different treatments and services. ...

Great suggestion! The OP and her GM should definitely head there embarkation day afternoon to tour the area and see what interests them.

Edited by Lsimon

Has anyone heard exactly when Canyon Ranch is taking over spa operations? Looking forward to trying their services. Years ago, Steiner drove me away from the spas onboard, with their snake oil hard-sell tactics. It will be nice to look forward to a hot stone massage at sea, once more! :cool:

it is being rolled out in stages.

somewhere there is a schedule of which ships get it when. ( I only paid attention to Century. )

This is the first visit either of us have had to a spa; our hometown doesn't have one, just a place where you can get your nails done (which we also haven't used, so). Hmm . . . I guess a trip to one of the port spas might be doable, but thought having booked Aqua class would give an edge.

The only advantage of being in AQ is the access to the spa thru the spiral staircase towards the front of the ship.

The so called perk of priority or having someone making reservations for you is a joke and not really needed. From past experiences they are always begging for customers and it is probably easier to make the reservation yourself instead of going thru someone else. Chances are better on getting a discount for a treatment on a port day. During a sea day the spa may get a little busier.

Don't know about the new company but I have read many complains before about the employees cutting the treatment time short with a hard sell at the end pushing the products. It was suggested to tell them upfront that you aren't interested in purchasing any products.

🌴🌅

I would do as suggested above and go for a tour of the spa and see what is offered. My husband and I like to go for pedicures (his idea!). We do it near the end of the trip after all our walking around the ship and on land. Yes, it is probably double the price of what it would cost at home, but the Celebrity spa ladies we've met have been so lovely and do such a good job. Last time we had the "fire and ice" pedicure which was really nice. We also had facials and full massages on our first trip, but that was a special anniversary trip so we splurged. Now we just splurge on the pedicures.

Sorry to disappoint, but there is no spa-related benefit to being in AQ unless you call the extra loungers a benefit. Your grandma may like the loungers at the front of the ship--great view. But I am a grandmother of 21 and I thought it was WAY too quiet in there, lasted about 15 minutes before I wanted to be up on deck where the action is. Never went back. If I want quiet and boring I can stay home in my living room!!!! Of course, YMMV.

Sorry to disappoint, but there is no spa-related benefit to being in AQ unless you call the extra loungers a benefit. Your grandma may like the loungers at the front of the ship--great view. But I am a grandmother of 21 and I thought it was WAY too quiet in there, lasted about 15 minutes before I wanted to be up on deck where the action is. Never went back. If I want quiet and boring I can stay home in my living room!!!! Of course, YMMV.

Ah, but don't forget about Aqua's access to the Persian Gardens! That's another good reason to take a spa tour on the first day. :cool:

If offered try a combo of facial, neck and shoulder massage, etc. They sometimes have offered 3 services that you pick from out of like 5 types. Like a mini sampler to experience more variety but shorter in duration. They've also had Ladies spa nights with champagne that could be fun for you both. Dry sauna is no charge in the ladies changing room and those heated loungers are great. Hard to say what new services will be offered with upcoming change, but hot stone massage is wonderful. Hope you both enjoy your cruise and your spa experience!

What kind of edge? Aqua class won't get you a discount on spa services, and there's no "special" or "extra" menu of spa services available to Aqua class guests. The only spa "extras" that Aqua class gets you are complimentary access to the relaxation room (heated tile loungers) and a "spa concierge" to book your appointments, but you can book them yourselves just as easily.

Since you've never been to a spa, here's some info you might find helpful:

1. Spa prices on a cruise ship (and in resort hotels) tend to be significantly higher than what you will pay in an average hometown (or nearby city) day spa. Just something to keep in mind if you're thinking afterward, "well that was nice but I'd never pay those prices again." You can get similar for less expensive at a standard day spa so don't let the prices scare you away from ever getting a spa service again.

2. Every therapist will do things a little differently, so even within the same spa or on the same ship, you will get vastly different opinions on things like whether or not "the massages on such and such a ship are any good."

3. The therapist cannot read your mind. If you're getting a massage for instance and the pressure is too light or too heavy, you have to speak up and let them know. They will happily adjust, but don't endure something that isn't pleasant simply because you're afraid to speak up.

4. Typically you will be given a questionnaire to fill out prior to your service. This is one of the reasons they usually tell you to arrive 15-20 minutes early. The questionnaire serves too purposes. A) It usually has a place to note things like whether or not you've had such a service before, any preferences you have etc. This is good, because if the therapist knows you've never had a spa service, they SHOULD do a thorough job of telling you exactly what to expect throughout. B) They will often use the information you check off to try to sell you things. "Oh, I see you have a lot of stress in your life and you somethings get a headache. We have this amazing super powerful feel good potion that you really should try. You take the supplement twice a day and it will work miracles and you'll never be stressed out again." That's kind of an exaggeration but you get the point. For the most part, they don't really care what you put down, they just want something to use as a springboard to try to sell you something else. If you have a medical issue that should be taken into consideration (an allergy to something they might use on you, or you're recovering from an injury and don't want your left foot massaged or whatever,) then by all means you should share that info. But when it asks what surgeries you've had, you really don't need to tell them you had a tonsillectomy when you were 7, LOL.

5. If they do try to sell you things, (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't) a quick, "No thank you, I'm not interested in purchasing anything. I would just like my massage/facial/pedicure/whatever today." 99.999% of the time that will stop the sales pitch immediately.

6. You'll have a menu of spa services to choose from. These will generally fall into the following categories: manicures and pedicures, facials, massages, body scrubs and body wraps. Within each category there will be multiple variations from which to choose. Ask as many questions as you need to in order to book something you'll most enjoy. If you've never been to a spa, and/or are shy or modest, you may be most comfortably with things that allow you to remain dressed (manis and pedis), or things that allow you to stay covered (facials, during which you usually put on a spa robe.) Massages are best done when you are completely naked or nearly so. The therapists are professionals, and will only uncover the body part they are working on at that time, keeping the rest of you covered with a sheet. There is no reason to be anxious about being naked, (you'll be in a completely private treatment room and again- the therapists are professionals) but as a newbie you might be a little nervous and that's understandable. I've never had a body scrub or body wrap so I'm not sure if you can really stay partially covered or not during those; seems like you'd have to be completely "out there" for those.

7. Often there will be a combo offer where you can choose an abbreviated version of 2 or 3 different services from a specific list. It's sort of an intro package, that gives you a taste of a couple of different services. Since you've never been to a day spa, you might consider something like this to get an idea of what you most enjoy so that in the future you'll know, "I wasn't really comfortable with the massage but the facial was heavenly, I think I'll stick to those from now on."

I hope that helps! I love massages, facials and pedicures and wish I could afford to get them all every week, LOL.

Gonna say again -- location for us is not what you seem to think; if we wanted to go to an "average hometown" spa, it would involve driving for well over an hour, and she's not a fan of long drives. Comparable price doesn't mean that much when you consider the sheer inconvenience to go to an "average" spa.

Sounds like the best option will be to just take the spa tour and see what sounds good to us; I think my grandmother would enjoy a pedicure, at the very least.

Yep, I'd take the tour and see what you like. For what it's worth: my Mom's 80 and we went to a spa locally a few years back for a combo package. She liked the facial but found the steam/aromatherapy room too hot, and the massage not comfortable - lying on the table was tough because she's got neck trouble. So I'd probably lean towards mani/pedi or facial just based on how an older body might react to extreme heat or lying in an unusual position. Having your hair and/or makeup done on formal night is also fun. There are lots of choices, all explained on embarkation day tours. They don't tell you that treatments are cheaper while the ship's in port, so keep that in mind. If you've cruised Celebrity before, there may also be a Captain's Club coupon waiting in your cabin to bring the price down. Whatever you do, have fun and enjoy!

Kirsten

Gonna say again -- location for us is not what you seem to think; if we wanted to go to an "average hometown" spa, it would involve driving for well over an hour, and she's not a fan of long drives. Comparable price doesn't mean that much when you consider the sheer inconvenience to go to an "average" spa.

Wow, I was just trying to help you know what to expect! If you read my reply again, you'll see that I never said not to enjoy the ship's spa and to go to a local one instead. Who knows- maybe one day you'll live somewhere that DOES have a spa closer by, or you'll visit a friend who has one closer On the off chance that you did that, I simply wanted you to know that ship prices are not the prices you'll find everywhere. Again, just trying to give you as much info as possible, but you seem to have taken offense to what I said. :confused:

The spa experience has always been my favourite part of a cruise!

If you have never had a mani/pedi, that would be nice and enjoyable. Just give yourself lots of time to dry those nails! I find their polish dries slowly. (although now that it is Canyon Ranch, I guess they use a different make)

For you I would suggest a massage. It's a real treat. I have never tried a facial on a cruise, but I enjoy them here, so I imagine I would also on a cruise.

For your grandmother, I would suggest reflexology. It is gentle and done on feet only. And you know that having your feet massaged is wonderful. It's supposedly good for many body organs, but I can't relate to that!

Except for the stone massage, I would keep away from all the heat treatments they offer. I have tried a few, but only once many years ago.

Now that Canyon Ranch has taken over, it should be a special experience. Steiner had specials throughout the cruise. I don't know what CR will do.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy.

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

I second the suggestion go looking for the specials offered in the daily newsletter. The samplers ( 3 for 1) are 'reasonably' priced. I also seem to remember a women's spa night that included a scalp massage and the steam room which was nice. Since you are aqua take advantage of the heated loungers in the Persian garden, it is a nice place to relax. If you decide to get massages, make sure that you tell the masseuse to start softly as this is your first.

Theresa.

Ps have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by tn1728

I hope you have a great time with your Grandmother! Another idea is if you go to the Blu dining and maybe chat with some of the other guests there as they will be Aqua class also and may be able to tell you what they have enjoyed. There always seems to be repeat cruisers around who know the good ideas.

The only thing I would say also, and I know you are prepared to pay the price, is that there is gratuities on top of the price you are quoted and it is not always mentioned properly. That happened with my haircut a few years on Royal Caribbean, and I didn't know. If you know then you are prepared, but when they added the gratuities at the end, well, I would have preferred to have been told that when I asked how much it would be. When I pay 3 times the price I would at home, then to add gratuities did make me choke a bit. It is not legal to do that in Australia. That is false advertising in our part of the world. I know now though, and I don't have an issue if I know.

I totally know where you are coming from about living away from any spa services. We are 3/4 hour from our nearest big town, and I can just imagine how relaxed I would be after a nice treatment and then driving home. Driving that far after a nice meal out is annoying enough.

Wow, I was just trying to help you know what to expect! If you read my reply again, you'll see that I never said not to enjoy the ship's spa and to go to a local one instead. Who knows- maybe one day you'll live somewhere that DOES have a spa closer by, or you'll visit a friend who has one closer On the off chance that you did that, I simply wanted you to know that ship prices are not the prices you'll find everywhere. Again, just trying to give you as much info as possible, but you seem to have taken offense to what I said. :confused:

Terribly sorry, that one wasn't directed at you -- your post was very helpful. I need to get into the habit of quoting the message I'm replying to.