Airport after cruise

Travel luv

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out my flight options for a flight out of Venice to Atlanta after returning from a cruise with Celebrity. The only direct flight out that day leaves at 10:50 am. Is this feasible? I'm not sure how far the airport is from the terminal and what is the best transportation option.

Thanks for any recommendations in advance.

You left out an important factor ......what time does the ship dock?

Marco Polo Airport is a 20 minute drive from the pier or Piazzale Roma. We had a noon flight to JFK, so we caught the 9:20am airport express bus from PRoma which got us to the airport at 9:40. The airport was a zoo. We got in line and it crept along at a snail's pace. They don't seem to put additional employees at the counter until the last minute. By the time we got thru security and to our gate we only had 15 minutes to spare. It was quite nerve wracking.

Our previous flight was even worse .... we got there 2 hrs prior to departure and had to run to the gate in order to make the flight. And that was for a flight within Europe. I planned both flights to be mid week thinking it would be quieter.

For an 11am flight I'd plan on being at the airport by 8:30am.

Your transportation choices are dependent on whether you can easily manage your own luggage. If you can't manage it, reserve a taxi so that a ride is waiting for you at 8am (45E) or take the cruiseline transfer. If you can manage it, you could take the People Mover to PRoma (1E, 3 minutes) then catch the ATVO airport express bus at 7:50am which will have you to the airport at 8:10am.

It wouldn't be in my comfort zone to catch an early flight. What if your ship arrives later than planned? or there's a delay is disembarking? What would it cost to miss that flight?

Only the very brave and courageous fly in on the day a cruise departs, or fly out on the the day a cruise arrives .

Your flight is late in and you miss your cruise. Your cruise gets delayed in reaching the terminal port and you miss your flight . ALWAYS fly in the day before departure and out the day after scheduled arrival and save yourself unnecessary stress and potential extra costs .

You can catch your flight. Check your ships schedule. It should dock around 6am. You can self disembark and be off ship by 7:00 or 7:30. Taxis will be at port. It is about 15 min ride to airport. The airport will be very hectic on cruise days. Both for people flying in to catch your ship and people coming off ships headed home. Also depends on how many ships dock that day. When we arrived on Royal Caribbean, our delta flt was delayed coming to Venice so we took an hour delay leaving. But I believe our flight was 10:50. We left around noon. Good luck. I will be flying to Venice next year. Am doing. B2B out of Venice. Delta will be my airline of choice. Have not booked yet since it's over a year before my cruise.

Edited by AF-1

Thanks everyone. It looks like our ship gets in at 6:45 am. I agree, very risky. I will need to really think on this and explore other flight options. I hate connector flights, but I may not have a choice. We are flying in a day before, but staying a day late is not much of an option for us unfortunately.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app

We had the same concerns about making a morning flight, which was our only option. We were fortunate enough to be able to decide to stay an extra day at the end of the cruise. The cruise line recommended the earliest time to book a flight and our only option for our airline would have put us just outside the "safe" window. Missing the flight would have been too stressful, but I'm sure that there will be many people booking that morning and will make their flights. I'm just super cautious. Besides, another night in Rome? Not a big sacrifice.

You will be fine. The ships often dock early. I would definitely do it.

Last time we were at Venice airport was for a 6:30 flight. We were not coming off a cruise. We got there at 5:30..many of the check in counters were not even open. We saw a number of large groups of people who had just disembarked from cruise ships. I spoke to a few who regretting leaving the ship so early.