HAL's Personal Cruise Consultant

GlennG

Thanks to all of you who posted replies to my original questions. I, very much, appreciate the feedback. It was a real eyeopener to learn that there can be such large disparities in the quotes and charges that travel agencies make. We will likely use the services of HAL's personal cruise consultant, and follow that up with accessing quotes from travel agents. Thank you, again.

Just remember that because of cruise line company rules most Internet TAs are prohibited from showing or publishing their discounted price on line. Wasn't always that way but with few exceptions you now have to call or email them for the discounted price. Makes cost comparisons a bit more difficult but for us it's worth the effort and we've saved a lot over the years and I'm not talking a Pinnacle Grill dinner, bottle of wine, or $50 OBC. Probably helps that we're very much involved in researching, planning, and managing our cruise vacations. We're not the type that just calls a TA/PCC and says "we want to go to the Med/Alaska/Caribbean/somewhere" and basically let them make all the recommendations and handle all the arrangements. I'm not saying there's something wrong with that approach, it's personal choice and it just happens not to be ours. That said if we're going to make our own flight, pre and post cruise hotel, and transfer arrangements we're not going to pay a TA/PCC for services we don't need or want.

I have, on several occasions, gone to several online agencies as well as used the service mentioned here a few times which has TAs send quotes. In each case, for the type of booking I have, the difference has been minor -- around $50 - $60.

Bookings checked -

7 - 15 Days

Outside Guarantee

Solo

I understand that the TA has little room to bargain on these types of bookings. For those that book longer cruises in suites the TA receives a lot more in commissions for essentially no more work. Therefore, they can afford to give back some of the commission.

Rich it has very little to do with commissions.. Cruise lines & Airlines sell blocked space to consortium's at a reduced rate.. Our TA belongs to a consortium of TA's which can book into that blocked space! That's why their prices are better.. There are many on-line TA's which belong to a consortium.. BTW we don't go by the prices listed on their WEB sites, as most of them will advertise the same price that HAL has.. We telephone our TA or e-mail & ask for a quote .. He always responds by phone..

Of course, if one books a 7 day cruise he may or may not save enough to make it worthwhile & then a PC makes sense.. 9% to 12% is only $9. to $12 per $100..

But for us it doesn't make sense as we book Outside cabins on cruises which are for 14 days & up plus many B2B's which is quite a saving for us..

On our last 68 day cruise our TA even gave us a reduction on our Insurance which I took into consideration when booking on the Prinsendam..

Have a nice day

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Rich it has very little to do with commissions.. Cruise lines & Airlines sell blocked space to consortium's at a reduced rate.. Our TA belongs to a consortium of TA's which can book into that blocked space! That's why their prices are better.. There are many on-line TA's which belong to a consortium.. BTW we don't go by the prices listed on their WEB sites, as most of them will advertise the same price that HAL has.. We telephone our TA or e-mail & ask for a quote .. He always responds by phone..

Of course, if one books a 7 day cruise he may or may not save enough to make it worthwhile & then a PC makes sense.. 9% $ 12% is only $90-$12 per $100..

But for us it doesn't make sense as we book Outside cabins on cruises which are for 14 days & up plus many B2B's which is quite a saving for us..

On our last 68 day cruise our TA even gave us a reduction on our Insurance which I took into consideration when booking on the Prinsendam..

Have a nice day

Betty

+1 Exactly our experience. Might add that we just don't willy-nilly shop around on the Internet. Over the years we have developed a relationship and experience with two or three agencies. We even know a few agents by name and have their direct phone numbers or emails.

Of course, if one books a 7 day cruise he may or may not save enough to make it worthwhile & then a PC makes sense.. 9% to 12% is only $9. to $12 per $100..

Have a nice day

Betty

Hi Betty -- hope everything is ok. I understand about the blocks of cabins -- I was using the term "commission" as encompassing all discounts the TAs might get.

As I mentioned, I have used the site that lets the TAs send you a quote, and I believe I did that on my 15 day east coast. The price I received that way was very close to what I paid the PCC.

I also know 3 people who are what I would call a TA in name only. They have a website hosted by some group (and I don't remember the name) and have asked me to let them book my cruises just so they get the commission. Two of them have never been on a cruise and I am not sure the third has.

My personal experience with two B&M TAs has been bad, while my experience with the whole PCC department has been extremely good.

You and RandyK have been fortunate to find one or more TAs that can, and do, give discounts. Unfortunately, due to the rules here, we can't discuss them. So until I happen upon one of them, I will continue to use my PCC.

Edited by richwmn

I completely understand what you are saying. But will a "big online agency" call HAL with my questions and get immediate answers for me? Ours does ... Will they oversee the special arrangements I need to know are in place for my cruise? Ours does ... When HAL sends out an e:mail about my booking, will the agency immediately forward it to me, or will it come the next business day? I Ours does ... do understand your comment. I'm just pointing out that sometimes it's not about the money.

There are good online TA's out there. Just find one that works for you!

I prefer to use a TA because if the price is the same, they usually offer an OBC. My favorite for Princess couldn't do anything for us for HAL. But that big box store on line agency that is located in the same city as HAL had great rates and great OBC. I am retired and spend sometime shopping around.

The one time I used a PCC, I found the service so-so, the answers so-so, and what I was promised, wasn't really delivered. This wasn't with HAL.

My personal experience with two B&M TAs has been bad, while my experience with the whole PCC department has been extremely good.

You and RandyK have been fortunate to find one or more TAs that can, and do, give discounts. Unfortunately, due to the rules here, we can't discuss them. So until I happen upon one of them, I will continue to use my PCC.

Rich you said it much better than I could. We just haven't had good experiences with TAs, from making mistakes to charging for changes, and taking forever to credit $$. I too wish we could name names, it would be so helpful. But we can't, so be it. :) What really ticks me off, is the agency we used is really well known and respected. :mad: Live and learn, check more carefully, don't assume. ;)

Yes, we did get extra OBC because of using that agency, but really, is it worth it for all the hassles we've had? No. We will stick with our HAL PCC, but look around before booking our next Celebrity cruise. We haven't built up a relationship with anyone there.

Using an independent (Independent of HAL) can have financial advantages for a cruiser such as on-board credits or a reduced cost for the cruise. I have used both. I met a HAL PC who explained to me that she gets credit for a cruise booked even if the customer later transfers to an independent agency. This is similar to booking a future cruise which on one's current cruise.

I have no doubt that HAL's PCC are very good.

We prefer to use our own TA (who happens to be on line) for a number of reasons:

-our TA gives us rebates of anywhere from 8-12 percent of the commissionable fare. This works out to one free cruise for every 10 we buy

-our TA routinely advises us of good fare opportunities on a number of cruise lines, including HAL when we are booking. On one occasion she made us aware of a much better competitive fare on an alternate cruise line. A HAL employed PCC would of course not have this capability. This is not relevant if you plan to cruise exclusively on HAL and are not interested in competitive fares or offerings.

-our TA is independent. If we have a problem (we have never had one) her or her agency can be an advocate for us. A HAL PCC is paid by HAL......his/her first loyalty will be toward the employer.

Edited by iancal

My wife and I are fairly new to cruising and Holland America Line. In the past, we have used a local travel agent to assist us in booking our cruise vacations. We have had a very good working relationship with our travel agent and we appreciate the "advocacy role" that she plays on our behalf. Unfortunately, she now must charge an additional $40.00 per cruise ticket. We would rather not pay this additional charge. Recently, we have received email communication from a Personal Cruise Consultant (Holland America Line). This personal cruise consultant promises "personal and expert assistance as you select your cruise itinerary." Here's the question; - have any of you used the service of a personal cruise consultant from Holland America Line? Is this service equal to or superior to the service provided by many private travel agencies?

We have booked directly with HAL and never had a problem, but then again, although we have been on many cruises with them, we have never received an upgrade. It seems that the people who use the TA seem to get them.

We have booked directly with HAL and never had a problem, but then again, although we have been on many cruises with them, we have never received an upgrade. It seems that the people who use the TA seem to get them.

Sorry, not true. We usually book guarantee cabins and have been upgraded all but one time. And those bookings were all with our PCC. Were your bookings guarantee cabins or just marked that you're willing to be upgraded from your specific cabin?

Sorry, not true. We usually book guarantee cabins and have been upgraded all but one time. And those bookings were all with our PCC. Were your bookings guarantee cabins or just marked that you're willing to be upgraded from your specific cabin?

I agree with Cruising-along. I generally book guarantees, but twice booked specific cabins. I book the lowest category of outside, but always get more. However, HAL's definition of upgrade might not agree with yours. If you are talking only about moving from outside to verandah (for example), that rarely happens.

The truth is, if there is any truth to upgrades, is that nobody has a surefire, absolute, no-fail, idea exactly how it works. Some people report all sorts of upgrades and upsell offers and some report none. Some swear that the best path is booking directly through HAL, some say it's their TA and the TA's relationship with HAL. About the only thing that makes sense to me is that the lower your cabin category the higher, and that's a relative term, the likelihood you will get upgraded or offered an upsell. After years and years of cruising and reading here the one consistent thing is that there is no consistency to upgrades and upsells.

My wife and I are fairly new to cruising and Holland America Line. In the past, we have used a local travel agent to assist us in booking our cruise vacations. We have had a very good working relationship with our travel agent and we appreciate the "advocacy role" that she plays on our behalf. Unfortunately, she now must charge an additional $40.00 per cruise ticket. We would rather not pay this additional charge. Recently, we have received email communication from a Personal Cruise Consultant (Holland America Line). This personal cruise consultant promises "personal and expert assistance as you select your cruise itinerary." Here's the question; - have any of you used the service of a personal cruise consultant from Holland America Line? Is this service equal to or superior to the service provided by many private travel agencies?

I always use my independent local travel agent. She has not only been in business many years (She was my parents travel agent!), but she has traveled most cruise itineraries and lines multiple times. As a single traveler of a certain age, her advice is invaluable to me whether regarding reasonable transfer times at foreign airports, cruise line or independent excursions in port, the safest, most reasonable hotel, or innumerable other questions that arise.

She also vigorously advocates for her clients when upsells are offered or prices drop after final payment, often securing generous OBC's, perks, or upgrades. If this service costs a little more, the peace of mind is well worth it.

HAL controls the inventory and upgrades, not a TA. I have received three (up-sale) offers with HAL that I took. I have never received an upgrade from a TA. My personal experience includes 50-cruises book via several cruise lines direct and a few different TA.

We'll follow the best price for all services provided for the cruise. If it is a 10 day deal, we don't even bother to shop as the price difference is slim.

When we booked our 30 day HI/SP cruise, it ended up being through our PCC.

Our local TA complete KNEW that was the cruise we were waiting on, they knew we were CHAMPING AT THAT BIT for it and the moment it was available we'd book, guess who came through with the info for when the cruise would be available and came through to book the cruise?

It was HAL's PCC and the price we ended up paying for the balcony was within $150 of the "best price" that our TA quoted. They also were going to throw in a free night at the Pinnacle, but I told them to blow.

Why? Well, our PCC was in constant contact with us prior to the fall '12 schedule being released, confirming if there was anything else we were interested in before and the day it was available she called me.

Our TA only called us 9 weeks after we booked with our PCC to let us know they "knew" it was just available that day (though it was even on HAL's site for 9 weeks). :eek:

For us to have used the TA and not our PCC (who has the BEST Eastern European accent that just purs in your ear), it would've been 15%+ as they didn't do a thing to earn the business.

FWIW we are looking to repeat that cruise next year, we're not 100% if we're going to go HAL or Princess (that is a different discussion). We'll again go with the best bang for the buck/service provided.

YMMV

Derek