Conch Shells?

IMKTDQT810

When you are in any port and they are selling Conch Shells, can they be brought back home? It has been many years since we have sailed and I thought I read or heard someplace that you can't bring sea shells home with you. Is this not considered a sea shell? Thanks for the info we will be sailing on Carnival.

When you are in any port and they are selling Conch Shells, can they be brought back home? It has been many years since we have sailed and I thought I read or heard someplace that you can't bring sea shells home with you. Is this not considered a sea shell? Thanks for the info we will be sailing on Carnival.

I found this:

Coral and Shells: Many nations limit the collection, sale, and export of live coral and coral products. Consult local authorities before buying coral souvenirs, jewelry, or aquarium decorations. Take similar precautions if queen conch, giant clam, or other shells catch your eye. You should check country laws before beachcombing or exporting the treasures you find between tides. Import restrictions may also apply (for example, queen conch shells from a number of Caribbean countries cannot be imported into the United States).

http://www.fws.gov/le/tips-for-travelers-species-list.html

Buy your Conch Shell at a gift shop. They will be cleaned and polished. When they are polished and buffed they are beautiful. BTW I love Conch, I eat it raw, in a lime salad, or cooked. Ugly critter, but it taste so good.

Yes, when you buy them in a gift shop all cleaned and polished ... you'll be fine. :)

LuLu

~~~

On a snorkeling trip they brought up a large conch and took the conch out of the shell. It would be used for food. This was in Freeport. The conch is a food staple there. There is no season for them, they can be harvested any time of the year. A crew member washed it out with Clorox and gave it to me. It sits on our screen porch (we live on the NC Coast).

On same snorkeling company we went to an island once and I found an empty conch on the beach. I have that too, never had a problem bring those home. You NEVER take anything that is alive from the water!!!!

In some ports they sell the shells. There is a hole in the top where the conch was removed for food. Along a road in Freeport there are TONS of empty conch shells on a beach. These were food items. I couldn't believe the amount of shells maybe 2 feet high. There were so many you could not get to the beach.

However you cannot bring any coral home. There is a big fine if you do.

If you do get any shells to bring home, I suggest bring both large plastic bags and maybe even baking soda. One thing you definately do NOT want to do is just put them in your suitcase. I found this out the hard way. On our first cruise, we picked up a beautiful shell in Nassau. I didn't have any plastic bags and, being a newbie, it didn't occur to me to ask for one. So, I just carefully packed the shell in the suitcase. After we got home, all of our clothes and even the suitcase itself smelled just lovely!!:eek: I learned my lesson!

We have brought home "fresh" conch shells on 2 RC cruises from the Bahamas bought right on the dock from fishermen. Fast forward to my first Carnival cruise and they would not allow me to board with one. I wish I could remember what port it was. Perhaps the difference lies in what port you are brining it aboard from. Its really no different than saving your banana peel in St Lucia and bringing it aboard :p