Do you disinfect your cabin upon arrival?

Kobayashi

So folks, you see the problem. We just do not live in a sterile world and wiping down a few surfaces might be good for your psyche but will likely have no appreciable positive effect.Hank

Exactly!

Funny you should ask...I use hand sanitizer or better yet wash my hands with soap and water after touching a menu IF I touch a menu at all. I normally do NOT touch under the chairs, arm rests on chairs or even the backs of chairs. I use my foot to gently coax the chair out and when I slide my chair in, if I have a coat on, I pull my sleeves over my hands and slide myself in.

Trust me, this is no fun way to live, but I have to protect myself the best I can. Trying to avoid germs is now second nature, having been diagnosed 15 years ago. I was trying to avoid germs long before it became the "thing to do". I know there are all kinds of germs that I still pick up anyway, including airborne. Having a fear of touching things is no picnic. Fear of whooping cough (been there done that), or even the fear of a common cold is much worse. And then add Noro to that and I'm even more cautious.

Not for everyone (or most people), but a way of life for me. :(

We do the exact same things. We fold Bounty Select a Size paper towels in thirds. Three or four of these go into a sandwich ziplock baggies. We then wet the paper towels with rubbing alcohol. After sitting down at the table and using the menu, we take a towel out and wipe our hands well. It might not kill the germs, but we feel better. We never to anywhere without these in my pocket and the DW's purse.

We noticed the post from the person with an autoimmune disorder that gets prophylactic antibiotics from their physician. We though it good to mention that there is no antibiotic known to man that will prevent Noro or other viruses (like influenza).

Hank

We noticed the post from the person with an autoimmune disorder that gets prophylactic antibiotics from their physician. We though it good to mention that there is no antibiotic known to man that will prevent Noro or other viruses (like influenza).

Hank

Bingo!!!!! Antibiotics only work on bacteria......and the way antibiotics are dispensed these days "Super Bugs" are developing which resist most if not all the antibiotics we have developed today......but like most things on these boards "it's all about ME!!!!!"........"Prophylactic antibiotics" cause more physical health problems outside of possible exposures they might "prevent"......;)

Hank

I should have been more specific. I am well aware of that. The antibiotics are for the severe bronchitis that I usually pick up when away from home, NOT for Noro.

Thanks for the snarky help.

I should have been more specific. I am well aware of that. The antibiotics are for the severe bronchitis that I usually pick up when away from home, NOT for Noro.

Thanks for the snarky help.

LOL....Sorry you interpreted my post as "snarky." As a long time poster on CC (and elsewhere) we understand that many folks (some not as knowledgeable as you) read the threads and do not always understand issues like Noro (a popular CC topic) having no known pharmaceutical treatment.

Hank

LOL....Sorry you interpreted my post as "snarky." As a long time poster on CC (and elsewhere) we understand that many folks (some not as knowledgeable as you) read the threads and do not always understand issues like Noro (a popular CC topic) having no known pharmaceutical treatment.

Hank

Thank you, Hank, for your clarification! I do realize that when reading posts, we really have no idea of the "tone" in which a reply or comment is made. I'm sorry that I misinterpreted it. :)

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Funny you should ask...I use hand sanitizer or better yet wash my hands with soap and water after touching a menu IF I touch a menu at all. I normally do NOT touch under the chairs, arm rests on chairs or even the backs of chairs. I use my foot to gently coax the chair out and when I slide my chair in, if I have a coat on, I pull my sleeves over my hands and slide myself in.

Trust me, this is no fun way to live, but I have to protect myself the best I can. Trying to avoid germs is now second nature, having been diagnosed 15 years ago. I was trying to avoid germs long before it became the "thing to do". I know there are all kinds of germs that I still pick up anyway, including airborne. Having a fear of touching things is no picnic. Fear of whooping cough (been there done that), or even the fear of a common cold is much worse. And then add Noro to that and I'm even more cautious.

Not for everyone (or most people), but a way of life for me. :(

Oh I completely understand people who have special needs and/or medical reasons for being extra careful - it would be foolish if you didn't take extra precautions.

As an example my In Laws are very particular about coming into contact with dirty surfaces, large crowds where viruses can be spread about, etc etc. Always wiping down, cleaning and making sure their personal environment is clean. They always seem to be coming down with some flu, cold or stomach bug.

Now my DH and I don't worry over much, wash our hands regularly, constantly in contact with people with colds etc at work and to top it off, as per my CC name, I work in the waste industry. We are hardly ever sick, can't remember the last time I had a cold.

My daughter is a school teacher and for the first few years of teaching she was coming down with every virus known to man because as we all know kids are little factories of germs (the healthy ones anyway) but her body has adapted and now she doesn't catch nearly as many as she used to. A case of her body's immune system working well.

So you could be doing yourself a disservice by over sanitising your environment, you could be setting yourself up to catch the next bug to come your way, the opposite to want you want.

I love the travel sized Lysol sprays. I spray the entire room then have to leave because I can't breath! Especially the remote and the inside of the pillowcase.....the bathroom.....and I do it more than once during the cruise.

I usually don't get sick, working in a pharmacy I'm in contact with sick people all day constantly washing my hands, lysoling and alcoholing things people touch.... It may not always help but it does make me feel (mentally) better. :)

:cool:......hurry contact my patent lawyers......."Lysol Bombs".....set them off like termite house bombs in your cabin, leave and return in a few hours...just be careful not to trip over the dead room attendant.......

Either this is really funny or that green apple martini my husband made me for St Patrick's Day is kicking in.

Fyi: NO CLOROX PRODUCT IS CDC APPROVED TO KILL NORO VIRUS. CLOROX "healthcare" series or products is EPA approved for norovirus. They are 32.00 a pack at walmart. I have a feeling you all have the germ killing versions with lemon scent.. In otherwords, according to chlorox, you're not doing anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm not wiping my cabin to get rid of norovirus. I pretty much think that is a rogue virus no store-shelf product can deal with. If I get on a ship where Noro is running around, I accept my fate.

No, I'm more interested in cleaning up the cooties left behind in my cabin by the person who had a sneezing mucous cold or a gastro green-apple-quick-step, and laid in bed using the remote and the light switch. And put their hands on all the handles, chair arms, switches, and so on. I think the wipes can clean these bacterial deposits up somewhat, and I don't count on my steward to catch it all.

......who sits in their cabin and watches T.V. on a cruise?......you pay all that money for the cruise experience and you then re-create your family room atmosphere, scratch your butt laying in a pool of potato chips while slurping beer....I don't get it?.................

......who sits in their cabin and watches T.V. on a cruise?......you pay all that money for the cruise experience and you then re-create your family room atmosphere, scratch your butt laying in a pool of potato chips while slurping beer....I don't get it?.................

Seriously? Some people do goto their cabins within 7+ days. Turn on the tv while getting ready, before going to bed.....I don't get your ignorance.

I wipe down the door handles and the light switched and tv remote when i first get there other than that no.. And no I dont watch tv either just have it on while going to sleep like I do when i am at home

I dont do this anywhere else I just have so much money invested in my trips if i have to spend a few mintues wiping down my cabin then do be it call it extra insurance

Edited by trev71

Seriously? Some people do goto their cabins within 7+ days. Turn on the tv while getting ready, before going to bed.....I don't get your ignorance.

I agree. It still never ceases to amaze me at how snarky people can be on these boards. When the OP started this thread, I didn't see anywhere where he/she asked the masses to put other people down for their choices.

Quite the assumptions....smh...:confused:

We agree with you, but have seen quite a few of those kind of passengers. On our longer HAL cruises we have met passengers that spend most of their sea days, and after dinner hours, in their cabins. We have had discussions with such folks and their favorite topic is often the "free DVD movies" available on the ship. We were once on the Prinsendam for 62 days, and towards the end of the cruise met a couple that were "shocked" when we told them we had never even used our cabin's DVD player. This couple retired to their cabin every night (after their early dinner) and just watched movies on TV. On another cruise we met a couple cruising with their teenager who only left their cabin to eat.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We have watched TV exactly once. Missed 2 ports and had the 3rd ruined by weather. Rainy, windy and high seas. Staff added activities but it just wasn't enough. We rented a movie. I fell asleep during it due to high seas I guess :p . Otherwise we just use it for looking at our accounts.