Changes to the Next Cruise Program

Gina, we are on the AD to get to Europe, for less than Business Class, and a fair itinerary, but our fun this year is another river cruise. This one is 15 days from Amsterdam to Budapest.

The AD is even cheaper for a JS than the QM2 for a regular cabin. Now, there is a tremendous cost difference between the JS and a GS, or OS. I'll upgrade if the price of a full suite comes down, but we don't throw parties anymore, and are very content to be in a JS.

I just got off of Princess, a b2b, where we sailed in both a mini suite, and on the next voyage, a full suite. The ammenities on Princess now far outway RCL, save for the fact that we like to have our cocktails, which is just 20 bottles of the mini's in a full suite, and you can order a .375 litre bottle of Skyy for $15.00, vs the free "cocktail hours" on Royal Caribbean. Other than that, we get free slippers, chocolates at bedtime, a wonderful selection of free beverages (non alcoholic) and the best breakfast around in Sabbatini's Restaurant.....free, and only for full suites. The internet free time is better, and the next cruise is about double of RCL.......maybe even more today.

As you can see in my sig block, we are now dividing our time between Princess and Royal Caribbean. I'm not stuck with one cruise company, nor am I stuck with one airline.

Case in point, we are flying back from Germany on Air Berlin, First Class, for about half the fare of other airlines, and they have full flat bed seats, and great service. We have flown them before, and love them.

There is a whole new group of people that are now sailing with Royal Caribbean. For those that need to feel loyal, go for it! What is Royal Caribbean doing for you?

That last question..........is what I keep asking myself, everytime Royal Caribbean makes another cut.......just to help their bottom line, even at the expense of loyal customers.

Just sayin!

Rick

Edited by rubrrick

txwildflower-You should have either an e-mail or paper confirmation with a reservation number for your open booking. Or, if you had booked the cruise you were on through a travel agent, that TA should have received notification of the reservation number.

Thank you and will have to do some tracking. I charged it to my CC that was the same as our S&s. We met with the ambassador and she had us fill out form and deposit it in receptacle.

We have a cruise coming up in less than 3 weeks, but want to book a cruise for next April now. Is there any way we could still get the next booking credit applied to the reservation once we get on the ship?

Edited by lexluthor

We have a cruise coming up in less than 3 weeks, but want to book a cruise for next April now. Is there any way we could still get the next booking credit applied to the reservation once we get on the ship?

I doubt it, you might want to book it in 3 weeks when you are on board unless there is some super sale going on.

It's time to be aware that RCCL has lowered the benefit of the future cruise credits as of March 14th. This is no way to reward those of us who are loyal to Royal. From now on, or until enough of us complain, the future cruise bookings will be worth half those purchased before March 14th. That is the end of my future bookings of these credits. This came from the highest sources at RCCL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I sent an email to C&A expressing my disappointment at the changes to the NCC open bookings.

The reduction of OBC when purchasing an Open Booking is at the point where it is now pretty much worthless to us.

We do not get a reduced deposit!! balance of full deposit must be paid when cert is transferred to an actual booking. All non refundable. OBC was the only incentive.

Why have they done this...

Our Crown & Anchor Society members are very important to us as a company, and changes to the program were driven by our quest for continuous improvement.

I would suggest that if you have a grievance at the changes to the Open Booking system you let them know via email...

We believe listening to our guests is the most effective way to create the best possible rewards program, and your additional comments and suggestions are genuinely appreciated. Please rest assured that your feedback will be brought to the attention of the proper operational teams for continued internal review.

I sent an email to C&A expressing my disappointment at the changes to the NCC open bookings.

The reduction of OBC when purchasing an Open Booking is at the point where it is now pretty much worthless to us.

We do not get a reduced deposit!! balance of full deposit must be paid when cert is transferred to an actual booking. All non refundable. OBC was the only incentive.

Our Crown & Anchor Society members are very important to us as a company, and changes to the program were driven by our quest for continuous improvement.

I would suggest that if you have a grievance at the changes to the Open Booking system you let them know via email...

We believe listening to our guests is the most effective way to create the best possible rewards program, and your additional comments and suggestions are genuinely appreciated. Please rest assured that your feedback will be brought to the attention of the proper operational teams for continued internal review.

This is not true. When assigning a specific sailing to a NCC, no additional deposit is due.

Edit: I just noticed you're from England. YMMV, but in the states, my above statement is true.

Edited by yj2cute

I sent an email, to make sure my open bookings, purchased before the new policy, would still be honored according to the OLD rules. I can't wait 2 hours on hold! I got an auto-response, saying they'd get back to me within 48 hours...but they didn't.

I sent an email, to make sure my open bookings, purchased before the new policy, would still be honored according to the OLD rules. I can't wait 2 hours on hold! I got an auto-response, saying they'd get back to me within 48 hours...but they didn't.

No need to worry...

While the structure for the onboard credit value has changed, Decide Later Open Bookings created before March 15, 2014, will continue to be honored based on the program rules in effect during their initial purchase.

This is not true. When assigning a specific sailing to a NCC, no additional deposit is due.

Edit: I just noticed you're from England. YMMV, but in the states, my above statement is true.

I'm afraid in the UK and ROI it is true...

balance of full deposit is collected when the next Cruise Open Booking is assigned to actual ship and sail date

Edited by icsys

So, I purchased 3 NCC in December. Now their value has changed? Isn't this a bait and switch?

If you already have a NCC purchased, it will be the same $100 OBC that it was when you purchased it. This is for any NEW NCC that are purchased.

I also sent an email re exact same concerns - my automatic response came through saying they hoped to get back to me with a reply within 14 DAYS!!

Guess they're pretty busy at the moment....

I also sent an email re exact same concerns - my automatic response came through saying they hoped to get back to me with a reply within 14 DAYS!!

that delay is not good enough. There is no excuse for lack of Customer Service.:(

Others have already posted that they have received a reply and that the old certificates are being honoured under the terms and conditions that were in effect at the time of purchase.

that delay is not good enough. There is no excuse for lack of Customer Service.:(

The response time on RCI's "General Information Request Site" has always been atrocious. My experience has been 14 days is rather on the "prompt" end of the spectrum.

"Sometimes" you may get a quicker response if you can direct your query to, at least, a particular department (not always that easy to discern).

It seems that "Customer Service" is a foreign concept to most of RCI.

Ray in NH

Does anyone know if, under the new rules, I can book a room for a friend using the reduced deposit?

I was able to do that this past January, but have not tried since then.

Just my luck :( Have never purchased an open booking, have always picked ship and date...but... Was going to book an RCI cruise while on X leaving on friday. The april '15 itineray hasn't been released for Galveston yet!!!!!!!!!!! Guess I'll try to wait until the end of the cruise and maybe they will be released by then. If not guess we'll have to do open booking. Or just might book something and then change it and test the "fine print".

IF I do ship and date and then change it and RCI changes the obc would it be as if I did open booking? Would deposit change? Anything else? I guess what I'm asking is..would I have anything to lose (other than obc) by taking a chance and booking and then switching?

Just my luck :( Have never purchased an open booking, have always picked ship and date...but... Was going to book an RCI cruise while on X leaving on friday. The april '15 itineray hasn't been released for Galveston yet!!!!!!!!!!! Guess I'll try to wait until the end of the cruise and maybe they will be released by then. If not guess we'll have to do open booking. Or just might book something and then change it and test the "fine print".

IF I do ship and date and then change it and RCI changes the obc would it be as if I did open booking? Would deposit change? Anything else? I guess what I'm asking is..would I have anything to lose (other than obc) by taking a chance and booking and then switching?

The deposit would not change. The wording is that they "reserve the right" to change it to the OBC for an open booking if you change ship and sail date.

It is too soon to have been tested whether or not they will enforce that clause.

I just called C and A and was told that they are only going to enforce that if you make excessive changes to a booking.

Gina, we are on the AD to get to Europe, for less than Business Class, and a fair itinerary, but our fun this year is another river cruise. This one is 15 days from Amsterdam to Budapest.

The AD is even cheaper for a JS than the QM2 for a regular cabin. Now, there is a tremendous cost difference between the JS and a GS, or OS. I'll upgrade if the price of a full suite comes down, but we don't throw parties anymore, and are very content to be in a JS.

I just got off of Princess, a b2b, where we sailed in both a mini suite, and on the next voyage, a full suite. The ammenities on Princess now far outway RCL, save for the fact that we like to have our cocktails, which is just 20 bottles of the mini's in a full suite, and you can order a .375 litre bottle of Skyy for $15.00, vs the free "cocktail hours" on Royal Caribbean. Other than that, we get free slippers, chocolates at bedtime, a wonderful selection of free beverages (non alcoholic) and the best breakfast around in Sabbatini's Restaurant.....free, and only for full suites. The internet free time is better, and the next cruise is about double of RCL.......maybe even more today.

As you can see in my sig block, we are now dividing our time between Princess and Royal Caribbean. I'm not stuck with one cruise company, nor am I stuck with one airline.

Case in point, we are flying back from Germany on Air Berlin, First Class, for about half the fare of other airlines, and they have full flat bed seats, and great service. We have flown them before, and love them.

There is a whole new group of people that are now sailing with Royal Caribbean. For those that need to feel loyal, go for it! What is Royal Caribbean doing for you?

That last question..........is what I keep asking myself, everytime Royal Caribbean makes another cut.......just to help their bottom line, even at the expense of loyal customers.

Just sayin!

Rick

Ah, Rick, I'm sorry to hear you and Bobbie aren't throwing those great suite parties anymore! My DD Ariel and I remember them fondly, as I'm sure do many others with whom you generously shared your beautiful lodgings-at-sea.

You are fortunate to be able to travel in exclusive levels, and have been so kind to introduce this to others (like me) who have not been exposed to these accommodations and amenities. I learn so much from talking with you and others who are so highly-traveled and experienced.

I was a regular Princess cruiser before I made a lot of friends who cruised RCI nearly exclusively, and I switched more for the people than the loyalty program... there were things I missed about Princess very much, but sadly, while I've been seeing the cutbacks on RCI myself, apparently the things I used to love about Princess have been cutback, too!! (i.e., the cold seafood sailaway buffet, with shrimp, crablegs, etc., etc... the wide variety of fresh tropical fruits and range of smoked fish available daily... I'm glad to hear they still have chocolates on the pillow and afternoon tea, at least...) As I recall, while staff was not as overtly "friendly" as RCI staff, they were very attentive and proper.

As a non-drinker, neither the minibar setup on Princess nor the free drinks (whether in lounge or at bars via coupon) mean much to me, but I do like the social aspects of the Diamond Lounge (I turned Diamond too late to enjoy the Concierge Lounge), Diamond Event and Diamond breakfast, where I get to meet and learn from folks like you.

I do miss a lot of the savings opportunities that RCI used to offer, with combining and layering of multiple benefits and discounts and savings certificates... affordable spa services and fitness center classes (vs. today's overpriced offerings)... the nifty gifts and giveaways (my super-diamond and now Pinnacle friends, like you, would often give me their extra frames, bags, wallets, slippers, etc., so I know you were showered with these... plus I won quite a few myself at trivia or Quest) both for loyalty, prizes, and ones you could "earn" by attending shipshape or vitality classes or events like walk-a-mile...

In other posts, I have commented that I can't believe the few pennies saved by cutting out these little extras actually save the company THAT much money... and they generate such goodwill and positive feelings from customers, I would think they'd re-institute them (or something equally charming in their place). Really, it saves that much money not having stationery and a pen in the cabins? Does it cost THAT much because someone takes a pen? Oh yeah, then you can't use it as a trivia prize!! (Yeesh, yes, the plain plastic pens have been prizes sometimes, not even the metal ballpoints. Sigh.)

I do love the live music all around the ship on RCI, the great stage shows at every ship level (plus ice, air, water shows on the bigger ships)... I enjoy the CD staff's energy and enthusiasm in leading games and interactive events... I like the fitness center equipment and beautiful sea views while working out... I'm glad that MDR service is still elegant (if not quite "white glove"), and that fixed seatings have continued alongside MTD and specialty restaurants (at least up until Quantum's new policy) and I'm never disappointed in food quality or quantity... I love the beautifully decorated and well maintained ships, the friendly staff... and meeting folks like you!!

Alas, RCI's latest misstep with drastically cutting back the value of a NextCruise Open Booking is a terrible mistake. For the first time, when I was on the Explorer last week, I did NOT buy a Next Cruise. For the past several years, I have always had one or two hanging around, and when I was ready to plan some travel, while Princess or another cruise line might have some great options, I always went with RCI because I had already put down that $100 deposit. Now, I'm "free" to go anywhere... because I don't have one in my pocket. (And it simply makes NO SENSE to give better OBC benefits for booking a specific sailing with the L.A. while onboard -- I have never been able to make an appointment with them, they're always PACKED with people who are not comfortable researching travel online, want to talk for hours with the L.A. while reviewing catalogs, looking at their travel calendar, budget, cabin type, etc., etc. -- I would just fill out a NextCruise certificate, drop it off and go, not feeling that I was losing anything by doing so. Now, I have to take hours out of my cruising time -- and take up time of the L.A. and away from other guests -- in order to receive a $100 OBC vs. the $25 offered on a 7-night cruise. And nothing for under 7 nights?!? Don't they want to promote their shorter sailings, too? I'm just confused, seems like bad business decisions to me...)

I'm only sorry I haven't cruised with you lately, and sorely wish I could join you on one of your River Cruises -- that just sounds like a great way to travel. I hope we get to do one together before you've moved on to your next adventure (maybe high-end train travel? Orient Express? That cool cross-country Canadian train trip? South America? China? There are a lot of those I'd love to try, too...)

My best to you and Bobbie, and very happy cruising to you both,