Changes to the Next Cruise Program

I so agree! The bean counters are not concerned with future profits or losses. Their concern is the bottom line right now, without regard for the product's future reputation, or lack thereof. They will do their budget slashing and move on.

When I read your comment about lack of tablecloths, cheap cuts of meat, crappy food, etc, I thought you were talking about the "new" Chops, which we had the displeasure of trying on Navigator 3 weeks ago. I was taken aback when I realized you were referring to Carnival. I am disappointed to think that Royal is now mimicking Carnival's business model.

(No tablecloths in Chop's -- REALLY????:( )

The first thing I noticed when we walked into Chops to make our first night reservations was the missing tablecloths. The tables are very nice but I would have much preferred the tablecloth. Just seemed wrong! Then they added insult to injury with the food. I will say that my grandkids LOVED the mashed potatoes.

Thanks for the kind words. :) But CC is a group effort.

A group effort to be sure, but in my short time here you and Bob (clarea) seem to be each worth at least 10x most others with your combined knowledge. Great to have such well-versed resources here, thanks to both of you.

Wow. I got three open bookings in August 2013 and just pulled out the paperwork. It very clearly says "on board credit of $25-$200 per stateroom". I never even read it...just assumed it was $100 obc.

If I am reading correctly, an open booking gets you just $25 obc regardless of cabin you book a seven day cruise?

Edited by galavant3

Just a few added remarks about the old NCC (2007, which still allows combining discounts). Last May I had my travel agent book a cruise on the Freedom of the Seas (30 NOV 14 Owners Suite-Family Vacation 8 other staterooms) using one of our old NCC. There was no problem with the appropriate OBC, and balcony discount. The problems started with the savings certificate offered last July for this cruise. I advised the TA and she contacted Royal. Royal refused to apply-not combinable! I had to make a conference call with the TA and Resolutions Department. After explaining the situation and the rep went far enough back into the NCC history of the savings certificate was applied. The Resolutions Agent added a note to the booking explaining the history. Last week I applied for shareholders benefit-denied-not combinable. Another conference call to Diamond Plus desk transferred to Resolutions Department after several more minutes the benefit was applied. I can't wait if a military/law enforcement/state discount is given for the cruise. I am getting very good at setting up conference calls.

I still have 1 more 2007 NCC left.

I don't mean any offense by saying this, but is it possible that is the problem? If a business is given less money to invest, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that would result in cutbacks?

It would be equally reasonable to think that they could cut back on spending by slowing down the new builds. Dave Ramsey, Susie Orman or any other financial talking head would have a field day with any caller who took on the equivalent debt load that RCI has.

Hey Molly... I asked a rep onboard about this. They do not switch the OBC on you if you make a change to your confirmed booking. In the terms in conditions it states "they waive (I think you meant 'reserve') the right to adjust the OBC if the ship/sail date is changed" meaning people who are abusing the open booking and changing the ship/sail date every couple of days and taking advantage of the system. No worries, your OBC will be safe :)

What constitutes abuse of the system? I would say that double or overlapping bookings do, but a competent IT department could put a stop to that by tracking reservations under C&A numbers. I can't imagine that there are a lot of people who do the equivalent of day trading with their bookings.

RCI could institute a change fee after 1-2 changes rather than punishing every passenger who purchases an open booking, if it's really their intent to cut down on frequent reservation changes.

They could also release their itineraries all at once so people aren't acting like kids in a candy store. Ooh! Rhapsody is going to Istanbul - let's book that! [two months later] Wow, Jewel is coming to the Left Coast at the same time! Let's do that instead! [6 months later] Hey! Radiance has a brand new Australia route (I'm making that one up) - let's change to that! If they were all out at the same time, then I bet that there would be a lot fewer changes. just sayin.

The press release was January 21, 2008. Since that date here are some major changes.......

7/1/2008 ~~ C&A Savings Certificate eliminated from being able to be combined with other benefits.

12/31/2008 ~~ Combining Shareholder benefit is eliminated.

9/1/2009 ~~ New Pricing Policy put into place where price drops will be honored up until 72 hours prior to departure. If price drop occurred prior to final, cruise fare will be adjusted. If it happens after final payment, an OBC will be issued.

12/31/2009 ~~ Elimination of combining any benefits including balcony discount, shareholder benefits, OBC, etc.

5/17/2010 ~~ Another New Pricing Policy takes affect..... now only price drops up until final payment will now be honored. If, after final payment, a cabin category higher than what was originally booked is priced the same as or lower than, an upgrade can be requested.

6/1/2010 ~~ Combining of benefits reinstated for bookings made on board. This includes an OBC for booking plus either a balcony discount or a C&A Savings Certificate. This does not include Shareholder Benefits.

Oh, HER! Yes, she must be very proud. :rolleyes:

It would be equally reasonable to think that they could cut back on spending by slowing down the new builds. Dave Ramsey, Susie Orman or any other financial talking head would have a field day with any caller who took on the equivalent debt load that RCI has.

What constitutes abuse of the system? I would say that double or overlapping bookings do, but a competent IT department could put a stop to that by tracking reservations under C&A numbers. I can't imagine that there are a lot of people who do the equivalent of day trading with their bookings.

RCI could institute a change fee after 1-2 changes rather than punishing every passenger who purchases an open booking, if it's really their intent to cut down on frequent reservation changes.

They could also release their itineraries all at once so people aren't acting like kids in a candy store. Ooh! Rhapsody is going to Istanbul - let's book that! [two months later] Wow, Jewel is coming to the Left Coast at the same time! Let's do that instead! [6 months later] Hey! Radiance has a brand new Australia route (I'm making that one up) - let's change to that! If they were all out at the same time, then I bet that there would be a lot fewer changes. just sayin.

I agree. That is the reason for our present predicament. The ink wasn't even dry on the Allure WB transatlantic -- excuse me, Ocean Voyage -- confirmation when the Jewel West Coast sailings opened up. So,we are guilty of double booking and having to change ship and sail date, but it is the best we can do, considering what we're working with. :confused::eek:

It is a house of cards of their own making.

Edited by travelgoddess1

Didn't the major policy changes regarding disallowing combinations of perks start around the time Royal hired the marketing exec from Carnival?

The press release was January 21, 2008. Since that date here are some major changes.......

7/1/2008 ~~ C&A Savings Certificate eliminated from being able to be combined with other benefits.

12/31/2008 ~~ Combining Shareholder benefit is eliminated.

9/1/2009 ~~ New Pricing Policy put into place where price drops will be honored up until 72 hours prior to departure. If price drop occurred prior to final, cruise fare will be adjusted. If it happens after final payment, an OBC will be issued.

12/31/2009 ~~ Elimination of combining any benefits including balcony discount, shareholder benefits, OBC, etc.

5/17/2010 ~~ Another New Pricing Policy takes affect..... now only price drops up until final payment will now be honored. If, after final payment, a cabin category higher than what was originally booked is priced the same as or lower than, an upgrade can be requested.

6/1/2010 ~~ Combining of benefits reinstated for bookings made on board. This includes an OBC for booking plus either a balcony discount or a C&A Savings Certificate. This does not include Shareholder Benefits.

Pitchforks and torches for everybody. Let's go get this guy!!! ...or at least maybe send this list to Richard Fain and Adam Goldstein. :o

Have you seen the price of the stock, up $2+. I guess the debt load is not scaring investors. However, the problem in Ukraine does.

I also was on a cruise last week. I asked the LA onboard about this and great news.. your NC Certificates will be honored at the old OBC rate! I made sure of it.

Yes, can confirm this to be true. Purchased 2 NCC on our recent cruise and have activated one of them already at the old rate. Anything prior to March 15, 2014 will be honored at the old rate.

Wow. I got three open bookings in August 2013 and just pulled out the paperwork. It very clearly says "on board credit of $25-$200 per stateroom". I never even read it...just assumed it was $100 obc.

If I am reading correctly, an open booking gets you just $25 obc regardless of cabin you book a seven day cruise?

See my reply above; your NCC are redeemable at the old rate, which is higher on longer cruises, right?

Yes, can confirm this to be true. Purchased 2 NCC on our recent cruise and have activated one of them already at the old rate. Anything prior to March 15, 2014 will be honored at the old rate.

See my reply above; your NCC are redeemable at the old rate, which is higher on longer cruises, right?

That's good news, as I have 3 old NCC's.

I am really sad to hear about these changes. I always bought them on my previous cruises. Now I will not bother. We just got off Princess and i was going to buy one of theirs until I saw that you only got a $25 OBC for a 7 day cruise. didn't buy theirs. Now I can't believe RCCL is doing the same thing:(!

Well, I just got my official one from yesterday and it shows $25-$100. Not happy. Especially since the ship STILL has the forms that show $100 for a 7 day. Wonder how much I'll have to fight for that $75.

Reba, the LA, is clearly not up to speed on the new structure.

Surprise, surprise. Corporate doesn't inform everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I booked 3 NCC last week on Wed 12th March and my husband booked 3 on Fri 14th March. The 1st 3 on the 12th show obc of $25 - $200, my husband's 3 were confirmed showing date of 14th March but obc of $25-$100. When I queried this on my return home I was told it was because the Future cruise rep had only put them through after midnight which meant they were shown under the new obc amounts.

The phone calls and email exchanges have begun....

I booked 3 NCC last week on Wed 12th March and my husband booked 3 on Fri 14th March. The 1st 3 on the 12th show obc of $25 - $200, my husband's 3 were confirmed showing date of 14th March but obc of $25-$100. When I queried this on my return home I was told it was because the Future cruise rep had only put them through after midnight which meant they were shown under the new obc amounts.

The phone calls and email exchanges have begun....

Hang tough. Not your fault the LA didn't get caught up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is not that I agree with every change that royal caribbean does but this move is having my head scratching.

Do they think a person looking for an interior will book onboard to get $25? Once that person get home will compare other cruiseline or take another vacation that is not in a cruise

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have read through all of these pages and still have a question.

OK--I just got off the Grandeur yesterday [March 18] and I bought 2 Open bookings. [guess that is the new term] They were delivered March 17 and I am not sure what day I sent them in--but, it could have been March 15. :mad:

My document says--"With an Open booking, you have secured the ability to receive an onboard credit in the value of $25.00-$200 per stateroom. The actual value of the onboard credit is determined by the length of voyage and will be applied when you select a ship, sailing date, and category."

Since mine says the value is up to $200 I guess I got one of the old ones--is that so? :confused: The document looks different from the last documents I had. But, I have used all of those old ones, so I do not have any to compare it to.

I have read through all of these pages and still have a question.

OK--I just got off the Grandeur yesterday [March 18] and I bought 2 Open bookings. [guess that is the new term] They were delivered March 17 and I am not sure what day I sent them in--but, it could have been March 15. :mad:

My document says--"With an Open booking, you have secured the ability to receive an onboard credit in the value of $25.00-$200 per stateroom. The actual value of the onboard credit is determined by the length of voyage and will be applied when you select a ship, sailing date, and category."

Since mine says the value is up to $200 I guess I got one of the old ones--is that so? :confused: The document looks different from the last documents I had. But, I have used all of those old ones, so I do not have any to compare it to.

It certainly sounds like the old terminology, but I suspect Royal will go by the purchase date when they apply the OBC.

It certainly sounds like the old terminology, but I suspect Royal will go by the purchase date when they apply the OBC.

There is no purchase date on the documents at all. I think that is odd. I am sure the old documents had dates on them.

Is it possible the LA back dated these documents? :confused: I guess I will call Royal Caribbean and find out if I have the old or the new documents.

Would I call Crown and Anchor to ask about this?

There is no purchase date on the documents at all. I think that is odd. I am sure the old documents had dates on them.

Is it possible the LA back dated these documents? :confused: I guess I will call Royal Caribbean and find out if I have the old or the new documents.

Would I call Crown and Anchor to ask about this?

Did your Open Booking documents look like a generic RCI confirmation invoice with booking number on it on colored paper? If so, there is a date (month,date and year when created) in the upper right hand corner.

Here is the number to C&A 1-800-526-9723

Edited by cruisenfever