Changes to the Next Cruise Program

The terms and conditions stay the same as when they were purchased. For people like me who keep 10 to 12 on hand at all times some times it is hard to keep track of all the different rules that were in effect when they were purchased. Now I have a new rule to keep track of - any new nextcruise certificates I buy I will only use on balconies or above and keep the older ones for insides or shorter cruises. This is the same thing I did when they reduced the benefits last time - just use the ones that give the best value.

Unfortunately, the new Open Booking only gives you $25 on a 7 day cruise, regardless of stateroom type. Only booking a specific cruise gets OBC based on stateroom type.

Unfortunately, the new Open Booking only gives you $25 on a 7 day cruise, regardless of stateroom type. Only booking a specific cruise gets OBC based on stateroom type.

WHAT??!! I'm late to this thread, but really??!! :eek: Before, I was just little bummed but now I'm really disappointed with RCI. I will not be purchasing any more open bookings. :mad:

WHAT??!! I'm late to this thread, but really??!! :eek: Before, I was just little bummed but now I'm really disappointed with RCI. I will not be purchasing any more open bookings. :mad:

It is hard to believe, but it's all here:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/NextCruise/14037219_Onboard_NextCruise_Flyer_2015.pdf

To rub salt in the wound, if you book a specific cruise, later change the ship and sail date, they can drop the OBC to that of the Next Cruise. They don't want us stocking up on OBC opportunities that we can change at will.

Edited by clarea

I have two Open Booking certificates left that I purchased last October so I'm assuming those will keep the OBC offered at time of purchase...

Now the only advantage to purchasing them is for the reduced deposit which is still a good deal for us especially when booking for our extended family to cruise with us which is usually the case.

I think you can continue to see RCCL stop gap measures to cut back. Reading a stock opinion tonight stating that RCCL had a rise is passengers for 2013 and was able to raise their prices 3.2%, however they have had a rough start for 2014 after the Explorer problem......

(perhaps explaining the Free Kids special to increase the passenger load.)

We also have 4 NCC and do mostly 4 day cruises. Holding them for now as we are doing Carnival 7 days now until RCCL prices come down. We can do the 7 day for what we have to pay for the 4 day on RCCL. There will be a lot of ships staying in South Florida this summer and there will be a lot of really good deals. Of course living in South Fla we can book last minute.

We are both RCCL Diamond Plus but that is not going to get us to pay double to cruise. It is all about prices for us, we eat, sit in the sun and hot tubs. No shows, No Booze. AA members. We want good food, clean room, friendly staff away from phones.

Will not be purchasing any more NCC.

Edited by dealer9296

The major problem with this logic is no one needs to give $200 for a NCC. You only need to give $100. Make the booking for a single person allows you only needing to leave $100. When your ready to pick your ship and sail date you the can add the second person and additional deposits. There is absolutely no reason to give more then $100 at a time.

I totally agree with you. I was responding to a post asking, "Why would I spend $200 to save $25" (or something close to that) --too lazy to go back and check exact wording :rolleyes:

When you look at it from the only $100 perspective, it only emphasizes my "logic". :)

Ray in NH

• RCL allows 2 bottles of wine on board, so they lose a minimum of $60 there, and more for those who buy individual drinks
  • RCL made a no towel lounger/saving chair policy
  • RCL enforces the policy
  • RCL listens to the masses and enacts a no-card policy for towels
  • RCL again listens to the majority and enforces a non-smoking rule
  • RCL listens to the masses who want to be part of "The Club" we call C&A and makes it easier to get points, rewarding those who spend money (suites) with 2 points
  • RCL listen to the masses (whom I think were wrong btw!!) and provide solo cruisers with double points
  • RCL, again after listening to the masses, changes the points program to reflect days at seas rather than the amount of cruises... again rewarding those who spend more money much more fairly (ie. a 14 day TA vs. a 4 day Bahamas)
  • Maybe, just maybe, this Next Cruise certificate change is considered a positive and a way to handle other issues fairly..... I wonder how many calls RCL gets complaining that there prime cabins are continuously "held" for months and years, only to be changed, cancelled, upgraded, etc at the last moment.... this will put those people at bay for snagging 10 aft cabins with all their certificates and give so many more of you the opportunity to book them. It also rewards and INCREASES the value of the the Cruise booking, rewarding those C&A members who travel in suites and those who are very serious when booking early.

For those of you who haven't seen my posts, I've had a few complaint posts, especially with the single supplement issue, so I'm not a "RCL can do no wrong!" type of person. But sitting back and looking at this subjectively, even though it hurts me personally with the way I book my cruises, it just may be good for the masses. I likely won't be buying any further certificates, but I am positive those C&A'ers who purchase suites and balconies, and plan way ahead, will love this benefit and the extra $100 (suite). I do respect that this is a business and, whether we like it or not, RCL has to profit somehow. Perhaps the glass is half full... Just my .02 cents.

So RCL.... now that you've taken away my $100 future booking PLEASE give me 150% single supplement at D+ and not at 340 points...pretty please ;)

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/NextCruise/14037219_Onboard_NextCruise_Flyer_2015.pdf

To rub salt in the wound, if you book a specific cruise, later change the ship and sail date, they can drop the OBC to that of the Next Cruise. They don't want us stocking up on OBC opportunities that we can change at will.

This may slow down the practice of those that book multiple cruises in the same time-frame and wait to see which one may have a price drop before Final Payment (which they then finalize the booking on) and then move the remaining other FCC's to other cruises, for the same reason. This then leaves some number of cabins "available" for RCI to try and sell at the last minute (usually at reduced profits), on those remaining cruises.

Folks brag on Cruise Critic about how they continue to "game the system" and then howl when the corporation tries to stop them. Sounds like "thems that play with fire eventually get burned". Unfortunately, others also get "toasted".

Ray in NH

Edited by Ray in NH

• RCL allows 2 bottles of wine on board, so they lose a minimum of $60 there, and more for those who buy individual drinks
  • RCL listens to the masses who want to be part of "The Club" we call C&A and makes it easier to get points, rewarding those who spend money (suites) with 2 points
  • RCL listen to the masses (whom I think were wrong btw!!) and provide solo cruisers with double points
  • RCL, again after listening to the masses, changes the points program to reflect days at seas rather than the amount of cruises... again rewarding those who spend more money much more fairly (ie. a 14 day TA vs. a 4 day Bahamas)
  • Maybe, just maybe, this Next Cruise certificate change is considered a positive and a way to handle other issues fairly..... I wonder how many calls RCL gets complaining that there prime cabins are continuously "held" for months and years, only to be changed, cancelled, upgraded, etc at the last moment.... this will put those people at bay for snagging 10 aft cabins with all their certificates and give so many more of you the opportunity to book them. It also rewards and INCREASES the value of the the Cruise booking, rewarding those C&A members who travel in suites and those who are very serious when booking early.

For those of you who haven't seen my posts, I've had a few complaint posts, especially with the single supplement issue, so I'm not a "RCL can do no wrong!" type of person. But sitting back and looking at this subjectively, even though it hurts me personally with the way I book my cruises, it just may be good for the masses. I likely won't be buying any further certificates, but I am positive those C&A'ers who purchase suites and balconies, and plan way ahead, will love this benefit and the extra $100 (suite). I do respect that this is a business and, whether we like it or not, RCL has to profit somehow. Perhaps the glass is half full... Just my .02 cents.

So RCL.... now that you've taken away my $100 future booking PLEASE give me 150% single supplement at D+ and not at 340 points...pretty please ;)

I happen to agree here. When any perk is reduced in any walk of life, people generally overreact to the initial announcement. I still am going to love and cruise Royal. The benefits of a superior cruise vacation far outweigh this relatively minor change in the long run.

If it's to hard to "decide on your next cruise" while on the ship, put some forethought into it so all you have to do is make an appt and take advantage of the mostly ENHANCED bonuses for booking onboard.

To be clear: I would have liked it if this change wasn't made. But it's not going to end my world. Some of your posts struck me as a bit... Over Dramatic. ;-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I totally agree with you. I was responding to a post asking, "Why would I spend $200 to save $25" (or something close to that) --too lazy to go back and check exact wording :rolleyes:

When you look at it from the only $100 perspective, it only emphasizes my "logic". :)

Ray in NH

Correct. I was actually talking about the comment you had responded too.

As a first time cruiser on RCL, I'm glad I at least purchased one NC certificate, only wish I had purchased more under those terms...

Instead I'm going to focus on getting RCL stock, using Discover Card rewards certificates, and booking specific cruises while on board. One reward down, but plenty of other options to save.

I wonder if they will change the wording in the terms like we discussed earlier from change ship AND sail date to change ship and/or sail date:rolleyes:

I guess it will be a while before anyone reports back what actually happens when they change a reservation that they booked with a LA onboard

just came back from a short celebrity cruise in feb 2014 and bought one rccl and one celebrity ncc. the agent told me changes were coming but this just makes them worthless. if you book on board you better do your homework and find your cruise to benefit from the bonus.

I too am a D+ and a solo cruiser! and would love if the 150% single supplement would not be at 340 points. I am only at 194 points. Not sure if I will be alive until I reach 340 points.

Where did you see/find the effective date for the policy change?

Does this policy change only apply to the Next Cruise Credit, or does it include the Open Booking also? The flyer only states Next Cruise and is it assumed that it includes Open Booking as the obc was the same for both?

I just checked my "Cruise Documents" for next month that were just issued and it still lists the old obc rates for Next Cruise and Open Bookings on the form.

Thanks.

We are on a b2b cruise beginning next month. Our edocs for the first cruise show the old OBC benefit on our NCC form, and for the second cruise, the new OBC "benefit." I gather that it does not matter which form I use, but rather the date I were to purchase an Open Booking, which I'm no longer interested in.

No one really knows yet. In the past, Royal has always honored the terms in place at the time the NCC was purchased. However, they seem awfully eager to annoy their most loyal customers these days, so this would be a good opportunity to add to that list.

I have been expressing this same sentiment recently. RCI seems determined to turn their backs on the perks that they previously awarded to their most loyal customers, thereby turning their backs on their most loyal customers! While this might look good on paper for the short haul, I hope that they will lose enough business over this new business model to eventually rethink it. Unfortunately, airlines, specifically Delta, are also reducing benefits to their loyalty programs.

While there are some who game the system by booking dummy cruises they have no intention of taking, I don't think there are enough to bring about this major change in OBC's. Royal will tell you that their profits on cruises come from revenue ON BOARD: shore excursions, alcohol, and gambling. They are simply trying to squeeze the last $100 +/- out of us on every cruise. And I agree with the person who said the solution to overlapping bookings is to simply not allow it. JMO

Edited by travelgoddess1

Another one here who won't be buying any more future cruise certificates!

I believe that Royal will lose bookings taking this step.

Last year we did b2b Panama canal cruises on the Legend. Our second choice was to travel with NCL. As the prices were similar the deciding factor was $400 obc, $200 on each cruise. Taking obc out of my decision process may mean booking more with other lines.

Pete

This may slow down the practice of those that book multiple cruises in the same time-frame and wait to see which one may have a price drop before Final Payment (which they then finalize the booking on) and then move the remaining other FCC's to other cruises, for the same reason. This then leaves some number of cabins "available" for RCI to try and sell at the last minute (usually at reduced profits), on those remaining cruises.

Folks brag on Cruise Critic about how they continue to "game the system" and then howl when the corporation tries to stop them. Sounds like "thems that play with fire eventually get burned". Unfortunately, others also get "toasted".

Ray in NH

Well stated Ray.

Mike

If the reason for the change is to curtail those people who make multiple bookings only to change them before final payment, wouldn't they target the $100 deposit perk instead of the OBC for the Open Bookings?

Looking at this now, most of the people who will buy the open bookings from now on are the ones that are merely interested in the low deposit and not the OBC. The $100 deposit is still a great deal for those cruisers wishing to book a cruise or multiple cruises) on a whim knowing that they can change it before final payment.

If they raised the deposit, less people would book multiple cruises unless they are serious. So, IMO, RCI is not concerned about the multiple bookings but just the bottom line. They don't want to be giving out the OBC - it's all about the money.

Edited by The Sunset Glow

I'm very disappointed too. I was going to purchase my first next cruise cert on my cruise in May. Since I like interior rooms and not decided on when I'm taking my next cruise, there is no incentive for me to buy one of these now. And maybe my next cruise will now not even be on RCI?

There is an incentive - down payment of only $100! You are not tying up a larger sum for maybe months or a year - if you book early.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next shoe to drop will be that open bookings made in the future will quietly enact an expiration date as well.:(

Putting an expiration date in play, wouldn't surprise me. However, I would have done it at the same time as the other changes, so it wouldn't appear to be an "after-thought". Then again, RCI didn't consult me on the other changes, why would I think they are concerned about what my thoughts on this, or any matter.

They make/change the "Rules of the Game"; we decide to play, or not.

Ray in NH

Putting an expiration date in play, wouldn't surprise me. However, I would have done it at the same time as the other changes, so it wouldn't appear to be an "after-thought". Then again, RCI didn't consult me on the other changes, why would I think they are concerned about what my thoughts on this, or any matter.

They make/change the "Rules of the Game"; we decide to play, or not.

Ray in NH

They may have already done this. We just got our cruise docs for our May FOS cruise, and this wording was on the Open Booking form:

"Open Booking deposit is non-refundable. Please see the Loyalty & Cruise

Sales team for the expiration policy on Open Bookings."

Edited to add: the cruise docs also had the new OBC schedule as well.

Edited by orville99

CC accounts for a very small percentage of the cruising population. I would think TAs reserving blocks of cabins and releasing the unsold ones at final payment is a bigger problem.

Regardless of the reason for the change I'm also very unhappy :mad:

Edited by Finbar127