Allure; Ft. Lauderdale car rental

jules815

We normally sail from Port Canaveral. Fly into MCO the day before we cruise, rent a car and then do the return the morning we sail.

Ft. Lauderdale is a new port for us. We plan on flying in the day before and renting a car. (my husband really wants to drive to Little Havana and eat dinner at a restaurant there that one of his co-workers raves about.)

Is one car rental company better located near the cruise port? We would want to cab or shuttle from car rental place the morning we sail. We typically book with Hertz.

Edited by jules815

Virtually all the car rentals have a location that services Port Everglades with free shuttles. National/Alamo do so from FLL airport maybe three miles away; the rest (including Hertz) have even closer locations. Look for "Port Everglades" or "Cruise Port"under Fort Lauderdale locations for car rentals. If you are renting for a day you should be able to pick up at FLL and return to the Port Everglades location (necessary to get a free shuttle to the ship) with no drop fee.

Thom

We used Hertz last year when sailing on Allure. The Hertz rental location we used was located at the Crowne Plaza hotel 455 State Road 84, Fort Lauderdale.

We'd driven down from Orlando and stayed overnight at another hotel. We filled up with gas at a BP station close by and returned the car to the Hertz depot. I didn't know it, but there was a free shuttle to the cruise port and terminal 18 for Allure.

When we disembarked I asked someone in the parking lot who was obviously directing the car rental shuttles for Hertz. She told me where to wait and called the shuttle over. 5 mins and we were back that the car rental to pick up another car for the remainder of our stay in Florida.

I'd use them again as it saves going to the car rental at Fort Lauderdale airport.

FLL airport is less than 4 miles from the port. The airport has a joint car rental area. - a bus runs between airport terminals to the rental terminal.

You can drop off your rental car at FLL and take a taxi from FLL to the ship very easily.

There's a Hertz at FLL and another on the way to the port. FLL also has independent shuttles to other off site car rentals.

I see no real advantage of going "offsite" other than price. I did an offsite rental once and it was a slight hassle.

Remember to bring your personal proof of car insurance. All of these rental agencies will force you to pay extra for insurance. Some require proof.

Have fun!!

Where are you staying? We generally stay at the Holiday Inn Express that is about a mile from the pier. Across the street is a Budget Car Rental. We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel and then picked up our car. It was cheaper to pick up and return to the same location and a little more convenient than going back and forth to the airport. We walked to the pier, but Budget does provide a shuttle.

Jane (from the duo Dick and Jane)

Chicago, Illinois

• 1 month later...

Are the car rental receipts required for the free shuttles, that's how it was when we cruised from Miami last year, the first time about 5 years ago they didn't ask for receipts. We're cruising from Fort Lauderdale next year, the information here is so helpful.

We just sailed on Oasis last week. We flew into Tampa and drove down to Ft. Lauderdale. It was a bit hard to find the Budget location (it's actually in a strip mall) but once we got there, it was easy to deal with. They came out to the car and ran the receipt right there, and we waited for the shuttle to the port.

On return, we waited for the shuttle to the location (finding the waiting spot was a bit of a challenge, as the signs point you in one direction, but you actually have to cross behind some of the waiting busses and go to an island 1/2 way between...one of the port police directed us) and we took the shuttle back to the car location.

We paid no drop off fees. I usually go wherever I get the best deal. I have never been asked for proof of insurance when I have rented.

Where are you staying? We generally stay at the Holiday Inn Express that is about a mile from the pier. Across the street is a Budget Car Rental. We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel and then picked up our car. It was cheaper to pick up and return to the same location and a little more convenient than going back and forth to the airport. We walked to the pier, but Budget does provide a shuttle.

Chicago, Illinois

How far of a walk was it?

Sorry I just saw that is was a mile. Were there sidewalks?

Edited by irishgal432

Used Thrifty a couple times. Picked up at airport and returned near the port where a free shuttle to the ship was provided. Use mouse code 004M001010 in corporate box for better rate

Pretty nuts to return to the airport and pay for a taxi to port

Budget has a location on 17th street that has a free shuttle to the pier.

I have used it multiple times, and it is quite convenient.

Just rent the car at the airport, and when renting choose the 17th street location as the return location. There are no drop-off fees at all.

Budget has a location on 17th street that has a free shuttle to the pier.

I have used it multiple times, and it is quite convenient.

Just rent the car at the airport, and when renting choose the 17th street location as the return location. There are no drop-off fees at all.

I seem to recall that there was an additional charge if you did not return it to the same location where you picked up the car. Maybe that has changed. As I said in a previous post, we walked to the pier. It was about a mile from 17th St. to the pier, and there were sidewalks.

Chicago, Illinois

I seem to recall that there was an additional charge if you did not return it to the same location where you picked up the car. Maybe that has changed. As I said in a previous post, we walked to the pier. It was about a mile from 17th St. to the pier, and there were sidewalks.

Chicago, Illinois

For newbies to Port Everglades - please do not assume that all piers are within walking distance of 17th street! Only terminals 2 (Princess) and 4 are pleasantly walkable. Port Everglades is very large industrial port that lacks sidewalks in some places and has lots of truck traffic. Check out the Port Everglades map (http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/MEDIA/PEG410_Map.pdf) and Google Earth (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Port+Everglades/@26.0940972,-80.1212307,2290m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x88d9006eb9c72e23:0x17714a5f043362d6) for more info.

For newbies to Port Everglades - please do not assume that all piers are within walking distance of 17th street! Only terminals 2 (Princess) and 4 are pleasantly walkable. Port Everglades is very large industrial port that lacks sidewalks in some places and has lots of truck traffic. Check out the Port Everglades map (http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/MEDIA/PEG410_Map.pdf) and Google Earth (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Port+Everglades/@26.0940972,-80.1212307,2290m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x88d9006eb9c72e23:0x17714a5f043362d6) for more info.

We have walked to many different piers in Port Everglades. In some cases, we had to cross the street to remain on a sidewalk. We do a ton of walking, so even the remote piers are within walking distance for us.

Chicago, Illinois

Chicago, Illinois

I'm an Emerald Club Member with National Car, it can be done. I've done it plenty of times using my free rental rewards. It may depend on the company.

T.

We always use Alamo at the Fort Lauderdale Airport. We complete the online check in with Alamo before we go so we can go directly to pick out our car... bypassing the front office. When you return your car to the airport you can take a free Alamo/National bus to Port Everglades. sometimes they ask to see your rental car agreement, sometimes they don't. They will take you to any ship you are sailing on. After you return from the cruise you can catch the same bus back to the airport which saves you at least $25. Just show them the receipt that you had before you left on the cruise. Ask any terminal representative where the bus picks you up, it may be different from where they dropped you off.

• 3 months later...
Used Thrifty a couple times. Picked up at airport and returned near the port where a free shuttle to the ship was provided. Use mouse code 004M001010 in corporate box for better rate

Pretty nuts to return to the airport and pay for a taxi to port

I booked my rental with this code also...Do they ever question you about how you have this code when you pick up your car?

Chicago, Illinois

I agree when I price it out with the different options the price does go up if not returning it to the pickup location..this is for our Sept 2014 cruise.