Do you sleep well on NCL?

kcwingwalker

We just got off the Dawn today on our first ever cruise. I would no sooner lay down on the bed and I would be out like a light. I would wake up on my own as the light would peek through our balcony curtain feeling completely refreshed. It will be interesting to see how I sleep when I finally get home tonight.

Being a ship's officer for nearly 40 years, I can tell you that my first night ashore after a work tour is horrible. While all the reasons listed above probably add to the reasons people sleep well onboard, I would say that it is the slight vibration that is ever present in any ship that is operating.

What ship(s) were you on?

Would be interesting to hear some stories!

Happy Sailing (and Sleeping)!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Is everyone sleeping so well because they are in suites & the beds are better?

On the Pearl I slept kind of ok, but the foamy mattress pads they brought to "help" looked like they were 25 years old & quite disgusting.

On the Spirit the bed was hard as a rock & I didn't sleep well at all!:(

I don't sleep as well on the ship as I do at home. I have a memory foam mattress and usually I don't wake up in the night anymore. I usually wake up once or twice when I'm not at home, and sometimes more when I'm on the ship.

BUT I really do like the rocking and typically fall back asleep pretty fast. I also kinda like those deep-night moments when I can step out onto my balcony in my nightgown and look at the stars.

Being a ship's officer for nearly 40 years, I can tell you that my first night ashore after a work tour is horrible. While all the reasons listed above probably add to the reasons people sleep well onboard, I would say that it is the slight vibration that is ever present in any ship that is operating.

Thank you! I find that interesting because I cruised mainly from the mid-80's to early 00's (when stabilizers became the norm) and always slept like a rock, despite being an insomniac in day-to-day life. Didn't matter if I was sleeping bow, aft or mid-ship, or if seas were rough or smooth.

Guess I respond well to vibration! :D :p

I'm constantly on the go when cruising and completely wear myself out. I sleep VERY well on the ship. I think it's a combination of the activities, getting up early every day (because I'm not normally a "morning" person), and the swaying of the ship...not to mention I find the beds pretty comfy. :D

Is everyone sleeping so well because they are in suites & the beds are better?

On the Pearl I slept kind of ok, but the foamy mattress pads they brought to "help" looked like they were 25 years old & quite disgusting.

On the Spirit the bed was hard as a rock & I didn't sleep well at all!:(

Nope, balcony here.

How well do you sleep when you are cruising?

I am not a great sleeper. Tossing and turning for an hour or so is my routine. Even when I'm exhausted sleep does not come easily. I follow all the recommendations such as dark room, no TV, etc. but it's been going on since I was a small child. So this is normal for me.

Now when I'm cruising on NCL (or other ships) sleep is not a problem. Sometimes I think I should make a cruise ship my full time home!:)

and I have some trouble sleeping on a ship or in a hotel. It varies from night to night. I love most of the NCL beds, it is just I don't sleep all that well.

Depends upon whether I have a comfortable pillow. I alleviate the mystery by bringing one from home.

Depends upon whether the mattress is hard. I try to lay on the bed when I first get to the cabin. If it feels too hard, I request a topper promptly from the cabin steward. It does help.

What ship(s) were you on?

Would be interesting to hear some stories!

Happy Sailing (and Sleeping)!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

I've sailed on many ships, of virtually every type; offshore drilling vessels, container ships, Roll on/Roll off ships, bulk carriers, tankers, and cruise ships. Your interest is most likely in my cruise history, which was on the Norwegian Sky/Pride of Aloha.

I generally sleep like a baby on a cruise however there was one night on our Feb. RCI cruise where the ship was rocking quite a bit and I felt like my head was getting jiggled. It lead to a slight bout of sea sickness. Other than that it usually rocks me to sleep.

Edited by fergusonvt