New internet packages on Independence of the Seas

Daghis

Question - suppose you had 4 friends - in different cabins - could you all use the service - one at a time. You could agree on times you could use it and it would be affordable for those who wanted to check email or send picture messages a couple times a day. Say $190/4 or about $47.50 each to have internet for the whole cruise. Or is this against the rules?

Question - suppose you had 4 friends - in different cabins - could you all use the service - one at a time. You could agree on times you could use it and it would be affordable for those who wanted to check email or send picture messages a couple times a day. Say $190/4 or about $47.50 each to have internet for the whole cruise. Or is this against the rules?

All four would simply use the same username and password to connect. This is not different really than one person using a smartphone, a tablet and a laptop at different times.

Worth noting that if you try to log on from a second device while another one is still active, I would expect to be prevented from logging on or having the other connection disconnected.

I don't believe the network will allow concurrent connections by the same user.

As for the cost sharing, an equal split sounds good so long as you know that everyone will use their equitable share of the minutes. Not the kind of thing that I would lose a friend over but …

Posted from my iPad Air.

Need some help with iOS or Mac OS X, I have 35 years of Apple experience. Twitter @medelegant

Worth noting that if you try to log on from a second device while another one is still active, I would expect to be prevented from logging on or having the other connection disconnected.

I don't believe the network will allow concurrent connections by the same user.

We found out that if a second concurrent user logs in with the same username/password, the system disconnects the first user.

An update on the coupons...

The (electronic) coupons for internet that I have are:

(2511) FREE 1 hour of Internet usage or $29.95 off any Internet Package.

This coupon is valid and is the one that Diamond members get.

(2505) Buy an internet package and receive 20% OFF.

(Discount will automatically be applied to your SeaPass account within 48 hours of purchase)

This one was listed on the sheet in error and Guest Services is denying that I should get 20% off the unlimited package after I used the first coupon above for a free hour to try the internet service out.

The Guest Services person did offer that she'd give me 60 minutes of extra internet time, but I reminded her that I had already purchased an unlimited package. She then offered 60 minutes more again. Sigh...

Darn... I should have tried that. I didn't think to test the speed.

Unlike previous cruises, they shut off the purchased wi-fi service already, so I can't try it now. (I'm in the Pyramid Lounge waiting for disembarkation.)

Questions:

If you have an unlimited package for 2 devices does it matter if you only have 2 devices and don't logoff? Won't the price just be the same because it is unlimited? Does it effect others on the ship by not logging off and using up data?

When in port does the cruise ship wifi turn off? And if so can you pick up in-port wifi from the port hotspots while still on the ship?

Questions:

If you have an unlimited package for 2 devices does it matter if you only have 2 devices and don't logoff? Won't the price just be the same because it is unlimited? Does it effect others on the ship by not logging off and using up data?

When in port does the cruise ship wifi turn off? And if so can you pick up in-port wifi from the port hotspots while still on the ship?

Unlimited? How does one get that?

The WiFi services aren't turned off when in port. You may be able to pick up and connect to hotspots from the port while on board the ship but the range (30-150 M.) of hot spots is limited. The further you are from a hotspot, the slower the connection. The steel hull of the ship will also degrade reception if you are not on an outside deck. You can switch connection from the ship's wifi to another wifi network just as you might do when going from one hotspot to another on land.

Posted from my iPad Air.

Need some help with iOS or Mac OS X, I have 35 years of Apple experience. Twitter @medelegant

Questions:

I just used the unlimited internet package for two devices last week on the Independence. If you had only two devices, yes, both could be on at the same time and you could be on continuously. You have a user name and a password. Now whether that access had any effect on your fellow passengers using the internet, I have no idea. I spent $206.95 for the package, with my C&A 10% off. Since we had the unlimited package, we didn't use any port wifi.

If you are logged on with two devices and you try to connect with yet another one, you will get a warning that two devices are on your account and you can't connect.

Leslie

I just used the unlimited internet package for two devices last week on the Independence. If you had only two devices, yes, both could be on at the same time and you could be on continuously. You have a user name and a password. Now whether that access had any effect on your fellow passengers using the internet, I have no idea. I spent $206.95 for the package, with my C&A 10% off. Since we had the unlimited package, we didn't use any port wifi.

If you are logged on with two devices and you try to connect with yet another one, you will get a warning that two devices are on your account and you can't connect.

Leslie

:):):(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on Indy this week. I did 2 speed tests, .10 mps download, and .15 mps upload on the first test, .15 mps download and .25 upload on the second. That is correct, the point is in front of the numbers, not a misprint. Maybe not as slow as dial up, but not much better. This was on Indy this week. I did the speed tests from the pool deck, which seemed considerably faster than my aft balcony room. From the balcony, I was lucky if I could even connect. No way you can skype or face time. Putting your phone in airplane mode may or may not log you off, and logging on does not kick someone else off. The best way to log off is to use the URL logoff.com and then put your device in airplane mode. This will disconnect you within a few minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just departed the Allure today. We had the unlimited internet for one device plan ($160 after platinum discount). We used it with a couple iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks. Never had to logoff with the unlimited plan - just sign on using a new device and it disconnected the current one.

Speeds on the Allure were .25 upload and download.

Could not FaceTime audio or video chat but iMessage worked for texting back home. If texting photos, it took a while to upload/send. Looking forward to the new high speed internet coming soon.

Anyone know if the unlimited price changes with the length of cruise? I'm on the TA 13 nights may 4 and just wondered if the package would jump up. Seems likely, but would be nice if it doesn't....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Surely "UNLIMITED" doesn't depend on how much data you use. But yep, will have to see what the cost of the Unlimited package for the TA Cruise is and see if its worth it over the hourly price. :)

Surely "UNLIMITED" doesn't depend on how much data you use. But yep, will have to see what the cost of the Unlimited package for the TA Cruise is and see if its worth it over the hourly price. :)

Correct, no keeping track of data, with either the unlimited package or the old per minute package. They won't do that because it would be a money loser for them, because of how slow the internet speed is.

• 1 year later...