New internet packages on Independence of the Seas

Daghis

Pinnacles get 2 hrs free. We were on March 1 when they went to this new system/ pricing. If buy a package, as a Pinnacle, amount decreased by $59.95 (discount).

Awesome:) Thanks for the info. Is this system wide or just on a ship to ship basis?

They don't offer to bookmark the logoff URL anymore? That will make it much less convenient.

I think this new way of logging off is more convenient. Instead of bookmarking (or otherwise remembering) an arcane URL, you just bring up your web browser of choice and go to logoff.com. That's easier for me, especially on my iPad.

If you use a browser that allows you to open multiple tabs it a lot easier. Keep the Logoff tab open, then open a new tab to begin your browsing. The other benefit, you can open multiple tabs and while other tabs are loading you can start reading the first. You can overlap downloading as many tabs as you like. If you open one tab and then wait, you are wasting a lot of minutes.

Enjoy your cruise.

Keep the Logoff tab open, then open a new tab to begin your browsing.

I do not recommend doing this. I discovered the hard way.

After getting connected, I'd bring up Safari, and it would automatically load the last page(s) I'd visited. If one of them were logout.com, it would log me out immediately after having just signed in.

After getting connected, I'd bring up Safari, and it would automatically load the last page(s) I'd visited. If one of them were logout.com, it would log me out immediately after having just signed in.

Been there and done that too. Automatic foul language follows. :D

That makes sense (using an iPad/Safari browser).

In my case, using a Windows 8 tablet and either the Chrome or IE 11 browser...keeping a tab open would not cause a problem.

I'll be testing it out starting Sunday...

Ouch, that is a problem! Sounds like a very annoying problem when you want your homepage to load when you open your browser. If you type in logoff as your URL isn't that still the last page you visited? Can you still open multiple tabs so you can read other tabs while they are loading in the background?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3197405?tstart=0

I use Firefox and occasionally IE, but I guess that not a good option for you Apple devotees. Sorry if I misled anyone, but for windows it should work just fine.

I think this new way of logging off is more convenient. Instead of bookmarking (or otherwise remembering) an arcane URL, you just bring up your web browser of choice and go to logoff.com. That's easier for me, especially on my iPad.

Thanks for sharing this information. I actually had a problem with bookmarking the logoff page on my iPad on Indy last month, and agree this sounds easier.

How has the performance/speed been for you on this sailing? I found it to be pretty abysmal in February compared to what I experienced on Allure.

How has the performance/speed been for you on this sailing? I found it to be pretty abysmal in February compared to what I experienced on Allure.

Performance has generally been quite good, although this time when I tried to log on, it took 10 minutes to get a successful login/connection. It's working okay now, so perhaps it was merely a temporary glitch.

I was on the Independence last week and having a large family group with me, I got the unlimited two device internet. Then the reality of trying to share it among 13 people, it was no bueno.

For some reason, using the wifi with cell phones, it was hard to tell if you were logged off. We did have a few people who had to check email for work reasons and they had to hunt down all the other members of the family who were more recreational users. Plus there had to be a lag between log off and the ability for a new user to log on, because we would have two users on, properly log off and we would still get the too many users warning. Of course, those cell phone users could have snuck in. I personally didn't use my cell phone so I have no idea what the problems was. LOL, could be those unlimited alcohol packages!!

And it is slow, dial up slow. I had to get boarding passes for seven people and it took 30 minutes at the internet cafe. At least I was entertained by the other people around me, trying to do the same thing but paying for each minute.

A certain Folksinger pointed me to this thread and discussion.

WiFi rates on board ship are generally atrociously expensive - especially when you consider the download speeds.

Here are a few tips.

Do NOT use web based mail. It is far better to use POP or IMAP mail services. You can then download your mail in one live session and log off. This gives you the ability to compose response(s) and then send as a batch Lon you next connection.

All mail clients have settings to allow you to not download images. If you are on a lot of mailing lists, this can save lots of time during connections - especially because speed is an issue. Review your mail and if you need to see an image, after dealing with (deleting) the junk or spam stuff, you can get the image on your next connection.

Bookmark the log-off URL if there is one. You can then quickly access this bookmark to close off your connection.

Before quitting your web browser, close any window or tabs AFTER you log off. This will prevent browsers like Safari from immediately attempting to open the last window accessed - and ending up with an immediate log off.

Use Airplane mode on your iPad/iPhone/iPod to turn off wireless data. WiFi can be deliberately turned on when needed. extra benefit is that you will also conserve battery life.

Use Bluetooth and AirDrop to share or send files between local iOS devices (it will easily allow you to send a picture to a fellow passenger.

You can also turn off your browser's automatic downloading of images and selectively load an image if necessary.

I hope you will find this useful. Please feel free to ask me questions or clarifications.

So if I turn wifi off and put my ipad in airplane mode will it log me off?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Usually that will NOT log you off the RC network. And your minutes will

Tick away. Can be very expensive.

When you log on it will ask if you want to bookmark the log off page.

You DO want to do this.

I screen capture the log on and off pages as sometimes it doesn't

Disconnect and uses your minutes. Then you can take that to GS if

Your minutes disappear.

Raina.

When using my Ipad-I would go into settings and turn WIFI off-This worked fine. Are you saying this will NO longer work?

Put simply...

Once you log into the RCI Internet service onboard, you have to go to lougout.com to log off and end the counter for minutes.

If one never logs into the Internet service, and WIFI is already turned off...there will be no start to the counter in the first place.

So if someone wants Internet - you have to log in and the counter starts. You have to go to logoff.com to end the service and end the counter of minutes.

If someone doesn't want Internet - leave WIFI off during the cruise. No minutes will be counted.

Usually that will NOT log you off the RC network. And your minutes will

Tick away. Can be very expensive.

When you log on it will ask if you want to bookmark the log off page.

You DO want to do this.

I screen capture the log on and off pages as sometimes it doesn't

Disconnect and uses your minutes. Then you can take that to GS if

Your minutes disappear.

Raina.

Ok. Thanks

So if I turn wifi off and put my ipad in airplane mode will it log me off?

Yes you will be logged off if you turn off WiFi or put it into Airplane Mode but that log off will not necessarily be immediate. As others have said, failing to use the log off process will continue to tick off minutes until the server realizes that you are no longer connected.

Once you have connected to the ships network, you have to be aware that many apps on your iPhone/iPad/iPod may be using the data connection. These apps will be looking to refresh themselves when you are online.

You are on vacation. There may be some apps that don't need to be constantly refreshed. Go to the Settings of your device and adjust them to minimize the amount of data they will be pulling down. Some aspects of iCloud should perhaps be turned off. For example, Photo Stream looks to upload any new photos you've taken to iCloud as soon as an internet connection is made. Turn off iTunes Match service if you are subscribed to it, another net based data stream. Airplane mode does kill off these services, and they can have Cellular Data disabled individually to save on your data plan but connected to WiFi, they will immediately try to refresh.

BTW - I was an Apple Value Added Reseller (authorized dealer) for many years selling, installing, training and supporting Macintosh based electronic medical records software. Most of what I have said would also apply to Mac OS X, windows based systems and android devices. Having never owned a windows or android based device I can not provide any specific assistance.

Given how slow internet services on board can be on board ships, I think I would like to see WiFi services based on data usage rather than minutes but can understand the ships network has limits on the number of simultaneous connections allowed by their licensing and hardware.

Posted from my iPad Air.

Need some help with iOS or Mac OS X, I have 35 years of Apple experience. Twitter @medelegant

The rest of the coupons look pretty typical from what I expected to see. The wording on some of them is a bit funny. For example, the stateroom phone discount lists it as a "discount of $2.00" rather than a "discounted rate of $2.00" per minute. I did confirm at Guest Services that the stateroom phone is still $2.00/minute for Diamond members.

The rest of the coupons look pretty typical from what I expected to see. The wording on some of them is a bit funny. For example, the stateroom phone discount lists it as a "discount of $2.00" rather than a "discounted rate of $2.00" per minute. I did confirm at Guest Services that the stateroom phone is still $2.00/minute for Diamond members.

I saw the same thing and was surprised at that change. Glad you asked, since I did not.

We're probably booking Indy for 2015. It will be interesting to see if FaceTime works. The wife tried it on Allure and could never make a connection. The iPad would ring on both ends but not connect. With a new grandson, the priority for her to stay connected is pretty high. :D

We're probably booking Indy for 2015. It will be interesting to see if FaceTime works. The wife tried it on Allure and could never make a connection. The iPad would ring on both ends but not connect. With a new grandson, the priority for her to stay connected is pretty high. :D

FaceTime likely will not work. The bandwidth requirements for video calls is quite high. The ports for such a stream are likely blocked. The signaling (ring) for the invite goes over the same port as web browser traffic but the encrypted connection for the video and audio streams use different ports.

You have to remember that the connection the ship uses for communications is via satellite and the satellite feed has rather high latency and is bandwidth limited - an important limitation because it is shared with many many passengers.

Posted from my iPad Air.

Need some help with iOS or Mac OS X, I have 35 years of Apple experience. Twitter @medelegant

FaceTime likely will not work. The bandwidth requirements for video calls is quite high. The ports for such a stream are likely blocked. The signaling (ring) for the invite goes over the same port as web browser traffic but the encrypted connection for the video and audio streams use different ports.

You have to remember that the connection the ship uses for communications is via satellite and the satellite feed has rather high latency and is bandwidth limited - an important limitation because it is shared with many many passengers.

Posted from my iPad Air.

I've read posts reporting both FaceTime and Skype have worked on the Allure in the past. Is Skype handled differently?

Sent from my Bat Phone