Is Celebrity's pricing policy fair?

Krazo

You are jumping to a conclusion that it was the first timer status that got the unexpected upgrade.

Unexpected upgrades also happen to long-time cruisers.

Sometimes there is some reason that the cabin they chose can't be used on that cruise -- one is that a large group, like a big family, needs several cabins in a row and the only way to get that is to move someone unexpectedly.

Another is that the cabin they chose has had continual plumbing or other problems and is tagged, so all further bookings for that cabin are moved until the problem is permanently solved.

You don't know why the passenger got the upgrade, and the passenger will also probably never know why it happened, either.

I saw that AQ was only £100 more so I rang X and was told I would lose my early booking discount and my OBC. But then read on the roll call that a first time cruiser with X was upgraded from ocean view to AQ at no extra cost! They only found out when they received their luggage tags. Obviously X would rather get a new repeat cruiser than one that only sails with them and was prepared to pay for the upgrade! Makes me think it's time to look at a new cruise line!

Karen

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Believe half of what you read from others on these boards, and realize there are probably many other factors that may seem insignificant related to the change than one may realize.

Possibilities include they needed the specify cabin for a family with children staying an a separate cabin (X rules require them to be adjacent cabins to their adult/guardians).

That PAX may have had a companion "upgrade them" as a surprise (or TA or something)

That PAX may not have stated the full story or may have had a different fare than you that allowed upgrading

Maybe PAX booked a OV Guarantee, and lucked out on all OV being sold through and got the AQ as the next best available.

Maybe PAX was in a Handicap OV and it was needed for someone else.

And it's also possible it's simply luck of the draw and someone got an automatic upgrade and others weren't as fortunate. Though I have yet to find anyone on these boards who had a multiple category upgrade just handed to them by the upgrade fairy. It's hard to find anyone with an automatic upgrade at no cost for any circumstance other than X needed particular cabin for other purposes.

I highly doubt the upgrade from OV to AQ was done as a nice and courteous thing, AQ has additional hard costs for X (BLU, spa access, afternoon snacks, bottled water, tea service, enhanced cabin amenities) as well as a required higher daily gratuity than the OV, so certainly the PAX must be aware they will pay higher grate now wight he cabin change.

After final payment, often the remaining cabins are discounted. I have booked some last minute deals and Tuesday specials. Saved lots of money. Also, an gty rate is often a good deal. If I book early, I keep checking prices. I know that I can rebook up until final payment. For the past few years, prices have kept going up. Either I book way in advance or at the last moment. I book only if the price is acceptable to me. Overall, cruise fares have increased. There are fewer deals than there were 3 years ago. Don't blame the cruise company for trying to fill the ship. Verandas are popular. It is easier to fill those cabins late than filling oceanview. I have booked oceanview cabins only when the savings is large. I often look for last minute specials. Just relax and enjoy your cruise. You may want to book another cruise while you are on your cruise. Sometimes the incentives are very good.

We booked an ocean view on Solstice over a year ago, hoping to upgrade to a veranda if the price dropped. We paid $2099pp for 18 days, April 11, 2014 from Sydney to Honolulu. After making our final payment I noticed on Celebrity's website that a veranda had gone down to $2299pp. Hey, that sounded good. We could upgrade for $200 additional per person. Well, not so fast! Called my travel agent and after checking with Celeb she told me that price was for "new bookings" only. I'm willing to give them $400 to upgrade and then they can put our ocean view back on the market for whatever price they like. It would make business sense to me.

Yes, it is fair. When you committed to the booking you agreed to the policies in effect when you booked, which always includes the possibility of price drops that you are not qualified for, especially after final payment. That YOU agreed to these policies makes them fair if they are adjusted within the agreed upon conditions. Read you cruise documents. You will see that you agreed to this policy. What is unfair here is that YOU want to change your agreement with the cruise line.

Should someone booking 30 days in advance get a better rate on that veranda than a customer booking over a year ahead? Me thinks it might pay to always book very near departure date, unless there's some cruise you just can't live without.

We always book over a year in advance. It permits up to plan all of our pre and post cruise activities and reservations, including obtaining what we hope is the best airfare. On 2/3 of the cruises, prices drop, and we take advantage of them if before final payment. On the remaining 1/3, prices actually have gone up and we end up paying less that the last minute bookings.

Anyone else run into this early booking discrimination?

It is NOT discrimination. Everyone agrees to the same policies and everyone is subject to the same results. You are not being singled out.

Edited by boogs

I'm afraid thats cruising for you, as others have said, sometimes you win. Both Celebrity and P&O have done this to us, seeing the price drop by £1000 after final payment. We no longer cruise with either!

So, you also do not fly on any airline anymore, correct? If you do, then you are being hypocritical by accepting the very same pricing policies as the cruise lines have in place. When you purchase your plane tickets you are stuck with whatever price you paid for them unless you purchased higher priced 'non restrictive" tickets. And prices will fluctuate constantly, sometimes going up, sometimes going down, especially near the flight date.

If you really believed in your stand against "unfair" pricing policies, you would never fly again.

Edited by SantaFeFan

What is a Tuesday special?

I learn so much on CC!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

Tuesday specials, as the name suggests are given and must be booked on Tuesday. They are discount prices on sailings that have a fair amount of unsold cabins. Sometimes the sale is extended to Wed and even Thursday. You can get great deals on these cruises but airfare may cost you more since they are usually short notice.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

We were in an OV cabin and a deal on the Tuesday Special came up for a Veranda. Of course, Celebrity wouldn't let us upgrade since this was for new bookings only, but on Wednesday after the Tuesday special, they did let us upgrade, using the military rate.

Thankfully it worked for you. I tried to do the same thing with a senior rate after the Tuesday special ended and it also said "new bookings only". Since I would lose my $300 OBC, and have to pay $260pp more to upgrade from a 1A to AQ, I have decided to let this go. Enjoy your balcony!

I saw that AQ was only £100 more so I rang X and was told I would lose my early booking discount and my OBC. But then read on the roll call that a first time cruiser with X was upgraded from ocean view to AQ at no extra cost! They only found out when they received their luggage tags. Obviously X would rather get a new repeat cruiser than one that only sails with them and was prepared to pay for the upgrade! Makes me think it's time to look at a new cruise line!

Karen

Really? You will walk away from a quality 7 day sailing to go where? NCL? HAL? P&O? MSC? Please come back and let us know who you choose and how the sailing was, OK?

Really? You will walk away from a quality 7 day sailing to go where? NCL? HAL? P&O? MSC? Please come back and let us know who you choose and how the sailing was, OK?

P&O! Most of our friends have already gone over to them for various reasons! Without trying them first I comment!

KRAZO, the question that is always asked but rarely answered when this debate comes up is.......had the demand been high for your cruise and the prices had gone up, would you be willing to pay the increase or be downgraded to the current cabin offered for the price you paid? If no, then why should you get the reduction or an upgrade because prices went down?

Once again, as always, none of those complaining about the "unfair" pricing policy will answer this question or even address the logic. I'd really love to hear the answer.

P&O! Most of our friends have already gone over to them for various reasons! Without trying them first I comment!

We will be very interested in how you liked it, compared to Celebrity. We sailed Ruby Princess with friends in 2012, they loved it, my wife thought it a poor sailing, ( we have sailed Princess since 1992) they sailled P&O last yr, wont go back, and are trying MSC this Sept.

We will be very interested in how you liked it, compared to Celebrity. We sailed Ruby Princess with friends in 2012, they loved it, my wife thought it a poor sailing, ( we have sailed Princess since 1992) they sailled P&O last yr, wont go back, and are trying MSC this Sept.

It will be a long wait! It's March 2016 I'm looking at... Family holiday to Orlando next year! Many reasons for trying P&O not just that they wouldn't let me upgrade without losing benefits! Friends and family as well as customers are selling it to me! Have only ever cruised with X.

Once again, as always, none of those complaining about the "unfair" pricing policy will answer this question or even address the logic. I'd really love to hear the answer.

YES it's already in the contract that if oil goes up we will the extra daily rate so essentially the cruise line has covered it's a** . After the initial pricing in which the cruise knows what it needs to cover expenses and such it's al profit to raise the price. What store adjusts it's prices daily and plays these games, none. Airlines also adjust prices as sales dictate but that doesn't mean it's fair or liked. Maybe it's one of the reasons people hate to fly among other reasons and look for cruises they can drive to the port.

Edited by cruzsnooze

YES it's already in the contract that if oil goes up we will the extra daily rate so essentially the cruise line has covered it's a** . .

Apples and oranges. We are talking supply and demand not oil prices. Has there ever been a reported instance of a cruise line falsely imposing the oil surcharge due to wanting to get more profit from a high demand itinerary?

But you are saying your answer is "YES" if the price of your cruise goes up after you book then you are willing to pay the higher rate or downgrade your cabin? Yes?

YES it's already in the contract that if oil goes up we will the extra daily rate so essentially the cruise line has covered it's a** . After the initial pricing in which the cruise knows what it needs to cover expenses and such it's al profit to raise the price. What store adjusts it's prices daily and plays these games, none. Airlines also adjust prices as sales dictate but that doesn't mean it's fair or liked. Maybe it's one of the reasons people hate to fly among other reasons and look for cruises they can drive to the port.

Are you accusing of cruise lines of adjusting their prices daily? If so, care to prove your claim? I monitor prices on all my cruises. I typically book at least a year in advance for a variety of reasons, one of which is locking in vacation time in a competitive scheduling environment.

On my last cruise, prices changed only three times in 16 months, including after final payment, and all lower than our original fare (after final, it went down a whopping $37 per person!). The cruise before that dropped four times in 20 months, again including after final payment, and all lower. The next cruise we are taking, Asia on Millennium, the prices have not budged in almost a year since the fares were first posted. We have 10 months to go, so it will be interesting to see what happens with the prices since the ship is already nearly sold out in some categories. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually go UP this time! And no, I will not be volunteering to pay more! :)

Again, are you claiming that the cruise line play daily price adjustment "games"?

Edited by boogs

I saw that AQ was only £100 more so I rang X and was told I would lose my early booking discount and my OBC.

Yes... I'm not seeing the issue.

Those offers came with the old booking, not with the new one.

It's good you're getting the option of choosing. It doesn't mean that you can combine every single offer cumulatively over time.

I posted the original question but I think I didn't make myself clear. I didn't want a refund after final payment. I was willing to pay more for an upgrade to veranda but I felt I shouldn't have to pay more than someone who was a "new booking". From a business standpoint it seems that Celebrity would want to take my money and open up my ocean view to sell to a "new booking". Why not open up all cabins to all cash ready customers? I would think they would want to get as many future bookings as possible but this policy certainly would discourage it. Love the cruising on Celeb but pricing policies are not going to help them keep loyal customers.

BTW, Krazo is my log in name but not my life style. Many decades ago I worked for Ozark Airlines and it's just the reverse spelling. Didn't want to put anyone off with the name.

Actually, anything that is time sensitive normally has its prices adjusted. It makes sense. What good is an empty cabin to the owner - or any potential occupant?

What good is an empty seat on a flight to an airline - or any potential traveller?

What good is an empty seat in a concert/show to a promoter - or to anyone with free time for entertainment?

And stores do it too. What good is a stale loaf of bread to a store, or a shopper?

It's common when the item being sold is time sensitive.

I posted the original question but I think I didn't make myself clear. I didn't want a refund after final payment. I was willing to pay more for an upgrade to veranda but I felt I shouldn't have to pay more than someone who was a "new booking". From a business standpoint it seems that Celebrity would want to take my money and open up my ocean view to sell to a "new booking". Why not open up all cabins to all cash ready customers? I would think they would want to get as many future bookings as possible but this policy certainly would discourage it. Love the cruising on Celeb but pricing policies are not going to help them keep loyal customers.

BTW, Krazo is my log in name but not my life style. Many decades ago I worked for Ozark Airlines and it's just the reverse spelling. Didn't want to put anyone off with the name.

I completely understand your frustration, and it can be a confusing situation. Celebrity wouldn't allow you to pay to upgrade your OV to a balcony after final payment. Yet I was allowed to upgrade my 2D balcony to a AQ grty. for $90 more pp. after final payment on the upcoming Equinox tranatlantic next month. Ended up with an A1 cabin, 1565. This was not a Tuesday special, and we had no special promos to lose out on.

Why it's good for the goose, but not for the gander is beyond me.

Tony

Edited by tgmtgm

Love the name and the story behind it and it probably does describe my lifestyle just a little! :p

Again, enjoy your cruise and I hope you find a resolution that works for you!:)

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting comments regarding Celebrity pricing. We're relatively new at cruising but the experiences we have had didn't prepare us for such wide differences in pricing as sail date arrived. Bottom line is it will cost us well over $1000 because we booked a couple of months out. That is not a minor fluctuation, not worth quibbling. My particular irritation with this, aside from the $1000, is during the process we were presented only a handful of rooms from which to select...giving the distinct impression there were few rooms left. Insult to that was we were "gifted" a "military rate". Thank you Celebrity. We will avoid this cruise line in the future and be more attuned to any opportunity to "game" the system before it "games" us.

We're relatively new at cruising but the experiences we have had didn't prepare us for such wide differences in pricing as sail date arrived.

Price fluctuations are not unique to celebrity, neither is displaying only a limited cabin selection. I kind of think the limited cabin selection is more of a programming limitation than being sneaky really.

Price fluctuations are a product of simple Supply and Demand

Send me an email, I have a few websites I can share with you to help research cruises, monitor fares, see FULL cabin availability, and see historical price fluctuations on individual cabins.

Very useful for a newbie (which I was a year ago myself).

Edited by cle-guy

Quite often those great prices posted after final payment are for the less desirable cabins in a particular category. For example, an inexpensive verandah cabin easily turns out to be a guarantee for an obstructed view.

I try not to look at the fares once I've made my final payment - it detracts from my happiness at going on the cruise if I obsess over not getting the "best" fare.

We do, however, keep an eye on the fares before the final payment is due. Just a couple weeks ago, we were able to upgrade from a partially obstructed verandah to a concierge class with a savings of $1400 on two fares! But now that the final payment date is past, I'm not going to be looking anymore. That's crazy-making. And I have too many other fun things to plan getting ready to visit ports.

Another point - if you booked early for the cruise, you were probably able to shop around for the best airfare. Having to wait until close to the sail date will often mean paying a higher price to get to the port.