The wifi question

Beachmartini55

Realize this is probably a dumb topic- but I haven't been on a cruise ship for several years. Now- with going on the Reflection in a couple of weeks / with all the iPhones & iPads etc... How worthwhile is it to purchase an internet package for the cabin. I know it's slow- but never had internet in anyplace on ship other than the awful Internet cafe. Is it worthwhile to purchase internet for the cabin? Or do we automatically pick up wifi signals when in port ?

It's nowhere close to land based speeds. Thats when its working. Think ISDN speeds on a good day. In the meantime you're being charged from the second you log into your account (LAN) not when you actually establish an internet connection.

I usually get a package - but generally only to copy/paste stuff up (eg: a Live From... review) - that way I minimize my time online. I generally don't bother checking my email or other social stuff - no one will die if I don't.

We can easily get through a 14 day cruise with the $49.95 package unless I'm doing a "live from" blog here. I carry both a netbook and an ipad (among other things). I use the netbook for internet access on the ship and carry the ipad when going ashore. We check the mail twice a day (gmail) and update quicken once a day. I start both outlook and quicken before I log on to the ship's internet, I run quicken in parallel with outlook send/receive or I just run outlook send/receive and sign off. We read the mail and respond while offline so it's sent the next time we sign on. We download both my DW's mail and a special mail account set up just for the cruise for family and close friends....I do not try to download my mail which is mostly excessive (but sometimes useful) junk...that's for when we're at an internet cafe.

On our last 14 day cruise we used up one $99 package (free because we're elite plus) because I had a "live from..." thread going here...and since we actually had two $99 packages, we sometimes did some other on-line stuff from the cabin...but only because it was free.

I think I'll probably downsize to an ipad mini for the next trip...easier to take ashore and still useful for reading on-board (wife has a kindle).

So...yes, the internet on the ship is slow and expensive if you sit there and try to read your mail online. If you sign up for wireless (doesn't cost any extra) and plan your use of the network time it's really nice to have at an affordable cost.

We can easily get through a 14 day cruise with the $49.95 package unless I'm doing a "live from" blog here. I carry both a netbook and an ipad (among other things). I use the netbook for internet access on the ship and carry the ipad when going ashore. We check the mail twice a day (gmail) and update quicken once a day. I start both outlook and quicken before I log on to the ship's internet, I run quicken in parallel with outlook send/receive or I just run outlook send/receive and sign off. We read the mail and respond while offline so it's sent the next time we sign on. We download both my DW's mail and a special mail account set up just for the cruise for family and close friends....I do not try to download my mail which is mostly excessive (but sometimes useful) junk...that's for when we're at an internet cafe.

On our last 14 day cruise we used up one $99 package (free because we're elite plus) because I had a "live from..." thread going here...and since we actually had two $99 packages, we sometimes did some other on-line stuff from the cabin...but only because it was free.

I think I'll probably downsize to an ipad mini for the next trip...easier to take ashore and still useful for reading on-board (wife has a kindle).

So...yes, the internet on the ship is slow and expensive if you sit there and try to read your mail online. If you sign up for wireless (doesn't cost any extra) and plan your use of the network time it's really nice to have at an affordable cost.

Is the internet access available in our cabin or do we need to go to the internet lounge to get a signal, we take our iPads and like to check our email at night before we retire for the night, on our last cruise on the Norwegian Epic, the signal was available all over the ship, I'm hoping it's the same on the Constellation, appreciate any insight on this.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

On Reflection, there are plenty of WiFi APs (access points). There are fewer on other ships. On Equinox, I found that it was iffy in the room, but great at the Cafe al Bacio and in the buffet.

I can't say about the others, but they will likely tell you that you'll have best results in public areas.

I was foolish to purchase it on the Summit last year. We had terrible service in port and at sea on both our cell phones and in the internet cafe. You couldn't log in but it ate your minutes while trying to log in. We had to keep getting credited. The internet manager was not helpful at all. Depending where you are traveling you can find places that have free WiFi service for the cost of a meal or cocktail. We had excellent service on St John's Island in the Caribbean and an excellent Margarita. We posted pictures on Facebook which sometimes is a challenge even at home depending on the area we are in.

On Reflection, there are plenty of WiFi APs (access points). There are fewer on other ships. On Equinox, I found that it was iffy in the room, but great at the Cafe al Bacio and in the buffet.

I can't say about the others, but they will likely tell you that you'll have best results in public areas.

I've always been able to access wi-fi in my cabin. I think a lot depends on the location of your stateroom. Have never sailed forward of the last set of elevators.

Didn't see anyone note this. Be advised to turn off your cell phone capability, such as put in Airplane Mode. There is cell service on the ship but rates are VERY HIGH and data rates are even higher. If not you may wind up with a huge bill when you get home. You ,may not even know the phone is running up a bill, for example if it is doing auto email downloads.

I've always been able to access wi-fi in my cabin. I think a lot depends on the location of your stateroom. Have never sailed forward of the last set of elevators.

Too improve stateroom connections, bring an Ethernet cable to make connection seamless.

Didn't see anyone note this. Be advised to turn off your cell phone capability, such as put in Airplane Mode. There is cell service on the ship but rates are VERY HIGH and data rates are even higher. If not you may wind up with a huge bill when you get home. You ,may not even know the phone is running up a bill, for example if it is doing auto email downloads.

I was advised by our provider to turn OFF ROAMING. It isn't needed at home and you certainly don't want to be paying £5 per minute when abroad!!:eek:

Edited by upwarduk