Removing a plaster cast whilst cruising

Olive31

Hi. My husband and I are going on a cruise in 4 weeks and my plaster cast on my fractured wrist is due to be removed during the week of the cruise.

Is it possible to have the cast removed by the Cruise Doctor. The cruise is in the US.

If so, what is the likely cost?

My consultant assures me it's a routine procedure (famous last words) :-)

Many thanks.

No idea if they have the saw onboard to take it off.

Could your doctor replace your cast with a removable brace pre cruise? For one of DD's wrist fractures she was able to use a brace.

Hi. My husband and I are going on a cruise in 4 weeks and my plaster cast on my fractured wrist is due to be removed during the week of the cruise.

Is it possible to have the cast removed by the Cruise Doctor. The cruise is in the US.

If so, what is the likely cost?

My consultant assures me it's a routine procedure (famous last words) :-)

Many thanks.

Ask your doctor if you need an X-ray to make sure it's healed prior to the cast coming off. If that's the case you may just have to wait until you return home unless he/she thinks that xraying it before you leave and if it's healed, removing it and putting a splint on it if necessary, is an option.

All the best!:)

Of course you should check with your doctor, but it would seem that a cast which has been on for at least four weeks could probably remain on another half week (until cruise was over) without ill effect. Anything done by a doctor on board ship rather than your own at home has at least two things going against it: it will certainly cost more, and will be done by someone less familiar with the matter.

Personally, I'd opt for just leaving it on till I got home. Or, as others have suggested, see if the healing is far enough along to transition to the brace before you leave home. Although the medical staff onboard are fully qualified for most medical issues, I'd be much more comfortable with my regular Dr. or consultant. But that's just me.

You might want to contact the cruise line directly to inquire about this, they should be able to tell you if it can be done onboard.

Enjoy your trip,

Tutu

I would have it removed BEFORE I sailed....have them put a removeable cast on...if you need it.

Talk to your doctor. You don't want this done away from your physician, in case something more needs to be done.

By the way...bring some self-tanner for that pasty, white arm you'll have....you will be happy if you don't have a 2-tone body!

Another consideration - check your insurance and see if it will cover work done by the ship's doctor. Even it is covered, you will need to pay the ship's doctor (added to your onboard bill) and apply for reimbursement once you get home. Not sure it's worth the hassle for just a few day's difference.

Have you ever had a cast on before? Leave the cast on till you get back, you don't want to take it off on vacation. First the darn thing has been on your arm for over a month. Picture a area of you body that you haven't washed in over a month. It's not pleasant, the area will have skin that is flaking, peeling ect. The smell will not be very nice either. You will have some atrophy from non use of your wrist. This will cause some discomfort. You will have a much better time leaving it on till your vacation is over. Whenever I had a cast on in my younger years, I applauded the date the cast came off and also dreaded it.

Have you ever had a cast on before? Leave the cast on till you get back, you don't want to take it off on vacation. First the darn thing has been on your arm for over a month. Picture a area of you body that you haven't washed in over a month. It's not pleasant, the area will have skin that is flaking, peeling ect. The smell will not be very nice either. You will have some atrophy from non use of your wrist. This will cause some discomfort. You will have a much better time leaving it on till your vacation is over. Whenever I had a cast on in my younger years, I applauded the date the cast came off and also dreaded it.

↑↑↑ THIS ↑↑↑

Remember, the area around your wrist has been deprived of air, light and movement--it will take some time for the color, feel and flexibility to return. Let your doctor remove the cast after your cruise.

I would doubt that the ship's medical centre would have the equipment to remove a cast. It is not in any way an emergency situation. I also agree with the poster who suggested you might need an X-ray to check that it has healed correctly. Even if this could be done, it would cost you a lot of money which you might not be able to cllaim on your insurance. Have this done under the care of your own consultant.

having had several casts.. LEAVE IT ON UNTIL YOU GET BACK.

seriously. the equipment used is almost certainly not going to be on board. putting a cast on is not going to be something the ship is equipped to do , so removal will be equally impossible.

The ship's medical center will have a cast saw, and an x-ray machine (though usually a portable one, so definition is not great). The biggest reason to leave the cast on for the entire cruise, or take it off early is cost. The medical center charges are pretty steep, and are not covered by most insurance, and even if covered, they are not in network, so if you use a PPO, there will be a lot not covered. If you're bound and determined to have it off during the cruise, do it on a port day, in a port where the health care is good, in case something goes wrong.

The ship's medical center will have a cast saw, and an x-ray machine (though usually a portable one, so definition is not great). The biggest reason to leave the cast on for the entire cruise, or take it off early is cost. The medical center charges are pretty steep, and are not covered by most insurance, and even if covered, they are not in network, so if you use a PPO, there will be a lot not covered. If you're bound and determined to have it off during the cruise, do it on a port day, in a port where the health care is good, in case something goes wrong.

Cost would not be of the greatest concern to me. I think making sure that your bone has healed before removing the cast would be the number one concern to me.

Cost would not be of the greatest concern to me. I think making sure that your bone has healed before removing the cast would be the number one concern to me.

Okay, I'll state it clearer. If I had to decide whether to leave a cast on for 3-4 days longer than my doctor had recommended, or having a doctor check it on the exact day, and probably have to pay for it, or having my doctor look at it early and decide whether a plaster or removable splint was still required, I would choose the least expensive choice. I don't think I intimated that removing the cast without a doctor's inspection was an option, or recommended.

Save the money and do it your self! :rolleyes:

Stand in the cabin door opening and crack the sucker while closing the door. That should open the cast - now clean it up before heading out to the beach, but remember to apply sun screen as I am sure it will be quite tender. :cool: LOL

Save the money and do it your self! :rolleyes:

Stand in the cabin door opening and crack the sucker while closing the door. That should open the cast - now clean it up before heading out to the beach, but remember to apply sun screen as I am sure it will be quite tender. :cool: LOL

Better still, have someone else smash it in a door, and then you can get free medical center treatment, and demand an OBC for your pain and suffering.:rolleyes: