Would you take a suite over an aft D1 balcony on Vision class?

Here's the situation-- we booked our first Royal Caribbean cruise, a transatlantic, and have 7654, an aft D1 with an oversize balcony. Since we have many sea days, I figure we'll get much enjoyment from it, watching the wake trail behind. But DW says she'd be happy with a standard balcony, and I'm wondering if we shouldn't accept an upgrade to a junior suite for the extra room, if offered. Since we're first-timers with RCI and since the D1's would appear to be in demand, I'm thinking we might be prime candidates for the Upgrade Fairy. Another consideration might be if we'd get a port side cabin-- north side eastbound, so not as much sun, might get a bit chilly in April, might not be worth the risk.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!

I think your chances of an upgrade to a suite on a transatlantic are slim to none. My experience with transatlantics is that the suites sell out very fast, and generally go up in price.

What is more important for you; the balcony or the interior space? I'd keep the aft balcony personally (what ship?). Some report occasional soot (though on a TA the ship should be moving fast enough that this isn't an issue) and vibration issues. What's the cost difference between the two? This is very subjective...

I wouldn't trade in a large aft balcony for a JS on a transatlantic in case I was allocated a JS on the shady side of the ship.

We have a corner aft on Serenade for a cruise in May and will be putting no upgrade because we chose the cabin specifically and love the aft.

Edited to say I just noticed it's your first RC cruise in which case your chances of an upgrade are slim to none I'm afraid.

Edited by Bobal

Here's the situation-- we booked our first Royal Caribbean cruise, a transatlantic, and have 7654, an aft D1 with an oversize balcony. Since we have many sea days, I figure we'll get much enjoyment from it, watching the wake trail behind. But DW says she'd be happy with a standard balcony, and I'm wondering if we shouldn't accept an upgrade to a junior suite for the extra room, if offered. Since we're first-timers with RCI and since the D1's would appear to be in demand, I'm thinking we might be prime candidates for the Upgrade Fairy. Another consideration might be if we'd get a port side cabin-- north side eastbound, so not as much sun, might get a bit chilly in April, might not be worth the risk.

What ship are you on in the Vision class? BOTH Grandeur and Vision 7654 are JS. We were in 7654 on Grandeur last year and LOVED the balcony.

IF the price isn't too much more a JS would get you double points but the balcony would be smaller than 7654. Only you can decide which you want more the points or the balcony! :)

I find the JS has plenty of space on the balcony, not as large as some afts but.... I'd take the JS every time for the extra cabin room.

I've not done a transatlantic, but I think with few ports and days and days at sea, I'd be happy with the reasonable sized balcony and the extra room in the JS.

Thanks, everybody, for your comments!

What is more important for you; the balcony or the interior space? I'd keep the aft balcony personally (what ship?). Some report occasional soot (though on a TA the ship should be moving fast enough that this isn't an issue) and vibration issues. What's the cost difference between the two? This is very subjective...

It is Vision of the Seas. I didn't realize there were variations in the class. I'm not looking to pay more for a JS; we'd be happy with the aft cabin. We've mostly sailed on Celebrity, and the M-class ships have an oversize aft balcony that we once turned down an upgrade to a suite-- had the reservation marked "No Upgrades", they upgraded us anyway, caught it before they could give away "our" room.

What ship are you on in the Vision class? BOTH Grandeur and Vision 7654 are JS. We were in 7654 on Grandeur last year and LOVED the balcony.

IF the price isn't too much more a JS would get you double points but the balcony would be smaller than 7654. Only you can decide which you want more the points or the balcony! :)

7654 on the Vision is a D1, happily, we booked it for next year.

This is all conjecture - 'what who you do if' the 'upgrade fair visited. I hope you have booked the cabin you want -- NOT hoping for an upgrade.

I would always appreciate a little additional room, which a JS gives you. If I was booking a cruise and the difference between an Aft Balcony and a JS was not very much, I wouldn't mind splurging....but usually a JS is considerably more than I want to spend.

I wouldn't book a room for what you think you might get but what you will get. If the prices were close I would go for the suite for the double points.

Shak

We'll be Diamond by sailing with Celebrity long before we'd get to that level (or even Emerald) by sailing with RCI, and I doubt we'd ever make it to Diamond Plus, so points aren't a factor for us. Besides, I think the points are based on what you booked, not what they might upgrade you to. I'm only looking at it from the standpoint if they offered a free upgrade as we once almost got from Celebrity, as I noted above.

We'll be Diamond by sailing with Celebrity long before we'd get to that level (or even Emerald) by sailing with RCI, and I doubt we'd ever make it to Diamond Plus, so points aren't a factor for us. Besides, I think the points are based on what you booked, not what they might upgrade you to. I'm only looking at it from the standpoint if they offered a free upgrade as we once almost got from Celebrity, as I noted above.

I gathered from your original post that a bigger balcony wasn't all that important to her. If a Jr suite is close in price I would take it for the points and if the upgrade fairy was to visit you in a Jr Suite you would still get double points but better yet you would get a gold card.

Shak

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't trade in a large aft balcony for a JS on a transatlantic in case I was allocated a JS on the shady side of the ship.

We have a corner aft on Serenade for a cruise in May and will be putting no upgrade because we chose the cabin specifically and love the aft.

Edited to say I just noticed it's your first RC cruise in which case your chances of an upgrade are slim to none I'm afraid.

With X, you can make specific conditions on an upgrade, such as "Starboard side only." I wouldn't want to be port side eastbound.

So our chances for an upgrade are less if it's our first cruise? That's too bad. X has a reputation for giving new cruisers an upgrade as a means of encouraging repeat business.

This is all conjecture - 'what who you do if' the 'upgrade fair visited. I hope you have booked the cabin you want -- NOT hoping for an upgrade.

Not so much "what do we do if we are offered an upgrade" but "should we request No Upgrades". We did book what we want and will be happy if that's where we stay, but wanted input as to whether we would be pleased or disappointed if we said we'd accept an upgrade and got one.

I gathered from your original post that a bigger balcony wasn't all that important to her. If a Jr suite is close in price I would take it for the points and if the upgrade fairy was to visit you in a Jr Suite you would still get double points but better yet you would get a gold card.

Well, now this RCI newbie is going to have to look into the benefits of getting a gold card. I'm assuming it's the color of the Seapass (or whatever RCI calls it) card that gives you extra perks because you're in a suite?

I'm not willing to pay extra for the JS but it's nice to know we'd get double points if we did get a free upgrade, even though it wouldn't make a difference for us for a long, long, time, if ever.

I would not give up an aft balcony. I always mark my preferences to "no upgrades" when I'm sailing in an aft balcony. Regular or even most JS balconies do not have loungers on them, and I prefer a lounge chair on my balcony and those oversized aft balconies often do have them. You get the sun moving across your balcony during the day more than a side balcony. And if you are headed east, you will get some amazing sunsets! Yes, there will be more motion and the dreaded "walking" the length of the ship, but to me the view and balcony space is worth it.

ETA: you know TAs attract a boat load (literally ) of upper tier crown and anchor members; the chances of someone brand new getting an upgrade is almost nil (unless you gamble a lot and they've been made aware of it before you sail.)

Edited by Familygoboston

Good luck with getting a free upgrade. I've been on 16 Royal Caribbean Cruises and never been given a free upgrade.

I've heard so many great things about aft balcony cabins that I'd stick with that. I'm hoping to book my first aft cabin in the very near future.

Have fun on your cruise!

Yes, there will be more motion and the dreaded "walking" the length of the ship, but to me the view and balcony space is worth it.

DW looks at this as a plus-- says the walking will do us good. She seldom uses elevators. She'll purposely park on the far side of the parking lot at a mall. I told her once, "Well, we're young and healthy, we can walk. Well, we're healthy, we can walk. Oh, hell, let's just walk.":rolleyes::D;)

Good luck with getting a free upgrade. I've been on 16 Royal Caribbean Cruises and never been given a free upgrade.

I've heard so many great things about aft balcony cabins that I'd stick with that. I'm hoping to book my first aft cabin in the very near future.

Have fun on your cruise!

I like the aft cabins, but would like to sample a suite if I can do it for no more money:o. We received free upgrades on our first two cruises (not with RCI) and thought that was the norm. It was our third cruise that we turned one down. If we get lucky, we get lucky.