S Class Obstructed Balcony - How bad was it REALLY?

mickeysgal

For the S class ships...Just how bad of a view are the balcony cabins down on the 6th and 7th floor...how obstructed are they? Are they a "never again will you book this type of cabin" or "it wasn't all that bad"?

I've read the S class sticky but I'm very tempted by some recent price drops for a balcony guarantee for our upcoming sailing.

Edited by mickeysgal

For the S class ships...Just how bad of a view are the balcony cabins down on the 6th and 7th floor...how obstructed are they? Are they a "never again will you book this type of cabin" or "it wasn't all that bad"?

I've read the S class sticky but I'm very tempted by some recent price drops for a balcony guarantee for our upcoming sailing.

Hi We have had a couple of obstructed balconies on Silhouette, no problem to us at all. Sorry can't remember exact cabin numbers though. Sometimes at the end of a cruise I think how little time we have spent on our balcony (they are quite small on S class ships) and wonder if the are worth the extra cost, but it is nice to be able to have a blast of fresh air if you want, therefore a balcony of any sort works for us.

I would say go for it.

Jean

We were in cabin 6302 on the Eclipse last month which we booked for the larger balcony. Yes, the balcony was larger but the roof of the Quisine (I think) restaurant extended out from our balcony cutting off any view down to the water. It sounds like a small thing but very annoying if you want to you want to watch small boat travel or dock activities from your balcony while in port. We do enjoy spending time on our balcony and found this obstruction so distracting

that we'd never book this room or area again.

Our obstructed balcony on deck 6 was the most terrible, horrible, miserable thing you could ever imagine. I would never, ever, ever set foot in one again!

Here are photos, they are on page one, so scroll down. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1992004

DO follow the link before you take this comment at face value! ;-) ;-)

DO follow the link before you take this comment at face value! ;-) ;-)

Yes, especially when she had this comment with the obstructed balcony view shots.:confused:

"So, honestly, this didn't bother me at all. I thought it would. But it didn't. In fact, having just seen Captain Phillips, it was like a movie prop right outside my balcony. They should stick a Tom Hanks dummy in there and charge people more for that room!"

Yes, especially when she had this comment with the obstructed balcony view shots.:confused:

"So, honestly, this didn't bother me at all. I thought it would. But it didn't. In fact, having just seen Captain Phillips, it was like a movie prop right outside my balcony. They should stick a Tom Hanks dummy in there and charge people more for that room!"

So, apparently you missed my sarcasm when I posted how "horrible, terrible, miserable" they were.

The obstruction was NO big deal at all...if you follow the link you'll see photos...

Just off Silhouette where we were in 6206 which was an obstructed balcony. We enjoyed the balcony which was the first one my mother had ever experienced but many for me. For myself, I would not book it again as we could not see anything when we were sitting down.

This was not the first time we had a starboard room where there was not a view of the port. I missed out on seeing us docking and leaving each day.

Sue

So, apparently you missed my sarcasm when I posted how "horrible, terrible, miserable" they were.

The obstruction was NO big deal at all...if you follow the link you'll see photos...

Yes, I saw that and that's why I agreed with the post above that one had to view your thread to get the actual facts as one who didn't and missed that sarcasm wouldn't.;)

Edited by robtulipe

We are on a 2C hump cabin right now, 6156. This is a great cabin. I love the angle of the hump cabin since it acts as a wind break. We can barely see the front third of the lifeboat below our handrail. Other than that, there is no obstruction. I'll take a picture and post it when we get back. We will look for this cabin again on our next S-Class cruise.

We are on a 2C hump cabin right now, 6156. This is a great cabin. I love the angle of the hump cabin since it acts as a wind break. We can barely see the front third of the lifeboat below our handrail. Other than that, there is no obstruction. I'll take a picture and post it when we get back. We will look for this cabin again on our next S-Class cruise.

This was posted while I was double checking our last cabin number and it was 6156 too. We would book it again anytime. A big balcony with the top of a lifeboat just showing at floor level. Great value in a quiet location.

I would take those over the CC cabins on the Resort Deck with that overhang. I did a Norway cruise on the Eclipse last year and got talked into an CC Cabin there. It was really bad sailing trough the fjords with an obstruction like that. However, it was my own fault for not checking cabin location downfalls. I just figured since it was a CC cabin it would be great. Never again would I take that cabin for a scenic cruise like that. It didn't spoil the trip, it was still one of my favorite cruises.

I went in a couple Balconies on Deck 6, etc. I would have taken those over the other in a heartbeat.

Been in 6208 on Eclipse on 6240 on Equinox. They were fine to me. In fact, I booked the family into 6244, 6246, and 6248 on Equinox for this summer. All are 2C or 2D cabins. The obstruction doesn't bother me at all. Particularly after experiencing a cave, err inside.

Will I happily sail an inside again? Absolutely! A day on a cruise is better than a day at home! But I would take an obstructed balcony in a heartbeat.

We have stayed in 6210, 6243 several times. I will book then again if they are available - love central location, X-large balcony and little obstruction doesn't bother us. I've rather have larger balcony than non obstructed view w/ small balcony. But that's me......

I love your review...still reading through it. :)

I would take those over the CC cabins on the Resort Deck with that overhang. I did a Norway cruise on the Eclipse last year and got talked into an CC Cabin there. It was really bad sailing trough the fjords with an obstruction like that. However, it was my own fault for not checking cabin location downfalls. I just figured since it was a CC cabin it would be great. Never again would I take that cabin for a scenic cruise like that. It didn't spoil the trip, it was still one of my favorite cruises.

I went in a couple Balconies on Deck 6, etc. I would have taken those over the other in a heartbeat.

Oh dear, we have 2138 on Eclipse when we go to the Fjords in May, is it really that bad? I was hoping it would be an advantage as the weather probably won't be great, why would they put CC and suite cabins up there if it is obstructed, I thought they were supposed to be in the better locations :confused:

We were in 6256 on the Equinox last year. I was really worried about it but it was great, you barely notice the obstruction.

So much so we have booked 6252, a couple of doors along on the Eclipse for our November TA.

We were on deck 9 for our last TA and I figure the lower the floor, the less movement crossing the Atlantic.

One can hope :rolleyes:

This is the photo of my room 6206 on Silhouette.

IMG_1339

Hope this comes through. Well not exactly what I was hoping for but at least you can see the picture.

Sue

Edited by shofer