RCC's New Quantum class

We strayed this past Christmas and tried Freedom of the Seas. Had all intentions of trying everything there was to try. Ended up not using any of the "extras" such as rockwall, flo-rider, or skating rink! We did like the set-up of the ship, loved the "new" shows, liked Second City and Howl at the Moon, liked their buffet setup, and we weren't particularly thrilled over the dining room food. Service was pretty much the same as CCL. Will not try Quantum for a while, and not unless we hit a summer sailing, cause I don't want to "waste" a few days sailing down to warmer weather, and back up to NJ. The only thing on the ship that interests me is the "sky-diving!" (did it in Vegas once, and it was really fun)

Oh, but those prices! Yikes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's the other thing that's only been briefly mentioned in this conversation. Not everyone can or is willing to pay a premium to sail on a ship with premium amenities (a/k/a "bells and whistles"). There are times when certain Carnival sailings in certain markets are not appreciably more expensive than Royal sailings. However, that is not true with the Oasis Class -- it costs a premium to sail on an Oasis Class ship and so far the same is true for the Quantum Class. Personally, I can afford the premium and have found it to be well worth it on the Oasis Class ships, but price is certainly a consideration for some folks.

Edited by Dave85

That's the other thing that's only been briefly mentioned in this conversation. Not everyone can or is willing to pay a premium to sail on a ship with premium amenities (a/k/a "bells and whistles"). There are times when certain Carnival sailings in certain markets are not appreciably more expensive than Royal sailings. However, that is not true with the Oasis Class -- it costs a premium to sail on an Oasis Class ship and so far the same is true for the Quantum Class. Personally, I can afford the premium and have found it to be well worth it on the Oasis Class ships, but price is certainly a consideration for some folks.

That's the thing though. If I am paying a premium to cruise, my tastes would not be for giant ships like Oasis. My taste would be for something quieter like Celebrity.

We are all lucky to have so many options so that everybody's tastes are met.

Switched our booking from Quantum to Splendor. Do not need to pay a higher price for bumper cars, etc. that I will not be using anyway! Ports for Quantum are nothing exciting.

As with the Oasis, some passengers just want to say they sailed on the ship, no interest in the ports since they do not leave the ship.

Me, I rather wait until they get all the bugs out and the pricing comes down. With Quantum, they are being so super secret while all their competition has released more information on ships that will not debut until 2016 or 2017! Don't get it.

MARAPRINCE

Then why did you book it in the first place?

Switched our booking from Quantum to Splendor. Do not need to pay a higher price for bumper cars, etc. that I will not be using anyway! Ports for Quantum are nothing exciting.

As with the Oasis, some passengers just want to say they sailed on the ship, no interest in the ports since they do not leave the ship.

Me, I rather wait until they get all the bugs out and the pricing comes down. With Quantum, they are being so super secret while all their competition has released more information on ships that will not debut until 2016 or 2017! Don't get it.

MARAPRINCE

And some cruise lines can't tell you what updates are being done to a ship in drydock that is about a month from now.

Talk about secrecy!

Bill

we are going the end of November in a balcony for $727pp.

Of course if you can only cruise in the summer the prices won't be anywhere near that.

Bill

Kids will LOVE them (and lots of grown ups too). I've never seen anybody on CC comment that their kids only cruise for relaxation or an connection to the sea. Obviously a lot of the innovations are aimed at attracting the "theme park" crowd and will be very popular.

You are absolutely right...anybody desiring that kind of stuff is looking in the wrong place with a Carnival cruise. Bear in mind that when the "ship becomes the destination", interesting itineraries are sacrificed. The biggest and best RCCL ships basically go nowhere.

Quantum has some WONDERFUL itineraries. It's not the same situation as Oasis and Allure, that can only dock in a limited number of ports because of their size. Quantum is about the same size as Freedom class.

Was this thread started in the Carnival forum and then moved here? :confused:

Lots of unfamiliar usernames Ive not seen in this forum before.

No biggie. Just curious.

I was just thinking that, after I finished reading the entire thread so far.

That is DEFINITELY the situation, I am positive!

(nothing wrong with that, just the comments are obviously coming from Carnival cruisers, not from RC cruisers.)

the oasis class was a huge disappointment... so the quantum class would be a quantum disappointment i think..sorry for the pun :p

instead of 5 bad things, there will be 8 bad things... instead of 5 bad restaurants and shows, there will be more bad restaurants and shows.. more bad things <> make it better.

Not saying carnival is better, it isn't... (except for MDR food), but when RCI pretends to have good restaurants/shows and then so underdeliver, it's hard not to be disappointed..atleast carnival doesn't pretend to have good paid restaurants or shows.

The paid restaurants on oasis are mediocore at best..having more choices of mediocore paid restaurants isn't any better. The shows are akin to a local production of live theater and the aqua show was laughably bad and boring. the so called broadway inspired shows were half the quality of decent ones on land.

cramming more mediocre venues onto a ship, is'nt really making it any better.

When they pretend to have comparable items as on land (e.g. decent paid restaurants, shows and etc) but then can't even deliver the worst cirque show I've seen and food quality in paid restaurants I wouldn't bother to goto on land, and bumper cars in a small enviornment reminds me of those sad indoor gocart tracks I had to endure in teambuilding at work.

But I'm the atypical RCI/Carnival cruiser I guess... I'm not a sucker for novelty but for quality and I don't mind if quality is not measurable to onland, but don't try to sell me something that they can't deliver like decent restaurants, shows, entertainment.

I hope you do know you are the minority on this one lol. Both ships sails full capacity every week and another one is being made. People are sailing RCL even at the higher prices. (supply and demand )

IMO carnival = Walmart of the seas RCL = Amazon of the seas.

To me , the bigger the better. More to do than just loaf around on a smaller ship. Heck, I'm disappointed that they replaced the Serenade with the Vision on the Venice Medit. itinerary. I want to be wowed by the newest and most technological aspect in a cruise ship. Plus, being from Jersey, the Quantum is stationed a stone's throw away. I love when for the same price of a 7 nite I'm getting an 11 nite cruise. Woooheeee!

Annnnd dont forget the virtuial balconies! :D

RCCL is miles ahead of any mass marklet line in terms of ship options and technologies.

These look really interesting, like a super-plussed version of Disney's virtual portholes. Question though...will they be in every interior room? Judging by the size of the screen in the concept art, I can't imagine how expensive that would be to put in every room. It looks like a 70-80" screen turned on its side!

Annnnd dont forget the virtuial balconies! :D

RCCL is miles ahead of any mass marklet line in terms of ship options and technologies.

Actually disney started this first with their interior rooms with a virtual porthole. It's neat technology and concept but royal didn't start it.

Was this thread started in the Carnival forum and then moved here? :confused:

Lots of unfamiliar usernames Ive not seen in this forum before.

No biggie. Just curious.

Yes it was. I verified this by going to the Carnival forum and looking for the thread

Moved: RCC's New Quantum class

and there it was :rolleyes:

Can't quite figure out why people find it necessary to start a thread on a cruise line's forum, for the sole purpose of bashing another line.

I could easily start a thread here called "Carnival sucks" based on my personal experiences but don't see the point in doing so.

So, some Carnival cheerleader starts a thread to bash a ship that he's never even sailed on :confused: :rolleyes:

Edited by Cruzin-K

Yes it was. I verified this by going to the Carnival forum and looking for the thread

Moved: RCC's New Quantum class

and there it was :rolleyes:

Can't quite figure out why people find it necessary to start a thread on a cruise line's forum, for the sole purpose of bashing another line.

I could easily start a thread here called "Carnival sucks" based on my personal experiences but don't see the point in doing so.

So, some Carnival cheerleader starts a thread to bash a ship that he's never even sailed on :confused: :rolleyes:

You might want to reread the first post of this thread again. Pretty much the exact opposite of what you assumed.

Edited by Pete C

I don't know. The Quantum doesn't excite me nearly as much as the Oasis class.

The 3 headliner features of the Quantum don't resonate with me all that much. Bumper cars at sea...not very exciting, and I am a HUGE theme park/ride fan. I'll take Carnival's waterslides. The crane thing...probably interesting for a few minutes, but are you really going to see that much more than standing on the top deck of the ship? It's just water. The sky diving...okay that is cool, but I really hope there is a reservation system for it. On sea days the wait times will be horrendous.

My main gripe about the ship, however, is that there seems to be very little actual outdoor space on the Quantum's upper deck. Look at a top down view...so much of it is covered in glass. Not a big fan of that. Compare that to the Oasis and Allure which have several outdoor spaces, themed areas, and decks.

That said, I'm sure the ship is truly beautiful inside and many of the spaces are probably incredible, like the Two70.

Actually the Quantum has been designed to operate in colder climates. Less deck space, more indoor options and activities, etc...

The covered pools (a minus when sailing out of Florida) are a big plus sailing out of Cape Liberty or Southampton.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This thread has really moved around. We can't wait to book Anthem of the Seas in July 2015. Interesting post to read. My kids have never seen a bumper car. Not the reason we would book but should be fun. We sail with kids (12&15) and do enjoy the bells and whistles. When the kids are in college, DW and I will probably pick cruises for relaxation and high end food. Until then, we are very pleased with the RCCL ships and move around between classes. Currently we usually pick a ship with a flowrider as our DS(12) splits his time between that and the sports court. Just because there are so many CCL readers, I have to say that we took an Elation trip (Mon-Thurs, before Thanksgiving) and really enjoyed CCL experience and the the food was quite good. For now we are attached to the loyalty perks (will be Diamond + after this next cruise) and usually sail at Spring Break, Thanksgiving or summer when all of the other families cruise. We meet great people and the kids always make good friends. One day, DW and I will be able to enjoy a different experience but for now, all 4 of us are having a good time. Glad there is something out there for every need.

I will NEVER sail RCCL again. I had a HORRIBLE experience on Rhapsody of the Seas. Carnival is the best for me!

If you had a bad cruise on Carnival,will you say you would NEVER sail Carnival again??? Mybe Carnival is the best for you can't go any lower.

You might want to reread the first post of this thread again. Pretty much the exact opposite of what you assumed.

"Bumber cars?

The outdoor viewing thingamajig."

gee, don't know where I got the impression he was being sarcastic :p

But yet you still post in the Royal Caribbean forum. Makes sense.

The post was originally in the Carnival forum. It's been moved. Twice.

I hope you do know you are the minority on this one lol. Both ships sails full capacity every week and another one is being made. People are sailing RCL even at the higher prices. (supply and demand )

IMO carnival = Walmart of the seas RCL = Amazon of the seas.

That is probably the best analogy of the 2 lines that I've read.

Carnival being bargain city, no frills and RCCL still offering good prices with better service and better ships.

Sure, your paying more on RCCL, but your getting better service/quality.

Edited by hitaway4

That is probably the best analogy of the 2 lines that I've read.

Carnival being bargain city, no frills and RCCL still offering good prices with better service and better ships.

Sure, your paying more on RCCL, but your getting better service/quality.

The better analogy is CCL:Wal-Mart RCCL:Target

A lot of times Amazon is cheaper than Wal-Mart for the things you want. Target (RCCL), is slightly more upscale/expensive - but well worth the money! (for some people).

Even though RCCL's ships are larger with more passengers, there's more to do - therefore better crowd dispersion. I prefer Target to avoid the crowds.

Bumper cars and north star - meh for me personally - but I know some people will enjoy them. And if that gives me more time on the flow rider and the rock wall, I'm all for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums