Unsuccessful Cabin Upgrade - Independence 04/06/2014

Hi all! I am booked on Independence departing April 6th in a Promenade level room. I called last night to inquire about paying for an upgrade to a D2 Balcony. The agent quoted me only $20 to upgrade, great! I was then on hold for 40 mins and when she came back, she said that unfortunately I could not get that rate (it was a different special or something) and that it was actually $200 to upgrade... The price on the RCI website at the time I was on the phone with her was in fact only $20 more than what I paid.

I understand that I am close to departure date, and I am not looking for a free upgrade. But has anybody had any success in upgrading their room to the current pricing on the RCI's website? Any tips? This will be my 6th cruise with RCI if that at all helps in the "negotiations."

Hi all! I am booked on Independence departing April 6th in a Promenade level room. I called last night to inquire about paying for an upgrade to a D2 Balcony. The agent quoted me only $20 to upgrade, great! I was then on hold for 40 mins and when she came back, she said that unfortunately I could not get that rate (it was a different special or something) and that it was actually $200 to upgrade... The price on the RCI website at the time I was on the phone with her was in fact only $20 more than what I paid.

I understand that I am close to departure date, and I am not looking for a free upgrade. But has anybody had any success in upgrading their room to the current pricing on the RCI's website? Any tips? This will be my 6th cruise with RCI if that at all helps in the "negotiations."

If the price is still the same on the site, I'd

call right back and get someone else. I'd just say you want to change cabins and ask how much. You should be able to get it

Edited by SeaUs

That sailing was listed as part of this weeks Going, Going Gone sale which is a 2 day sale...Tuesday and Wednesday and is for new bookings only. If the price is still there today you should be able to get the upgrade. Call back and try again. Good luck.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Where do you live? I am getting a residency discount on that cruise.

That sailing was listed as part of this weeks Going, Going Gone sale which is a 2 day sale...Tuesday and Wednesday and is for new bookings only. If the price is still there today you should be able to get the upgrade. Call back and try again. Good luck.

That is a great idea and makes sense. I will certainly check what the current pricing is.

I agree with SeaUs. If you don't like the answer, call back and try again with a different person.

And call 800-526-9723, not the regular customer service number.

I concur.

I did a successful upgrade from a PR cabin to an E2 for $33 total. It involved a residency rate, for which we qualify, and it did take a couple back-and-forths with the Crown & Anchor representative to confirm the rate (plus my balcony discount) that led to the cheap upgrade.

I'm sitting in my balcony cabin now. I highly recommend upgrading! :D

Well, I called the Crown and Anchor society and got nowhere. The current pricing on the website for a D2 Balcony is $100 less than what we paid for our PR room. I called to inquire about upgrading to a D2, and she quoted me an additional $400 due. Wow, very disappointing.

Well, I called the Crown and Anchor society and got nowhere. The current pricing on the website for a D2 Balcony is $100 less than what we paid for our PR room. I called to inquire about upgrading to a D2, and she quoted me an additional $400 due. Wow, very disappointing.

I'd call back and try again. Doesn't have to be the crown and anchor line. Tell them you are seeing a price on a D2 for less than you've paid and would like to upgrade. If they say no then why? What are options then?

Edited by SeaUs

I understand that you see a rate below your current PR price, but you got nowhere. that rate is probably for new bookings, and they may not be willing to give it to you.

Is this a solo cabin, a double, a triple, or a quad? Pricing can be different for solos because of varying single supplement deals. third and fourth passenger pricing can also vary over time.

Still, try, try again... perhaps you should try to pick a category with a price that will cause you to pay a bit more than your current price (including your crown and anchor discount, if applicable)...even finding a pricing category where you pay a dollar more may enhance your odds of moving to a balcony.

Thanks all for the advice. I hated calling and calling again asking the same question... but I called right back again and asked to speak to a Supervisor.

I explained that it was very concerning that the price for me to upgrade keeps going UP (first was told $20, then $200, and today was told $400!) while the price on the website keeps going DOWN. Which is a logical argument, I feel.

After much persistence, she finally agreed to upgrade my room. If at first you don't succeed, try again! Thanks again everyone, and happy sailing!

Thanks all for the advice. I hated calling and calling again asking the same question... but I called right back again and asked to speak to a Supervisor.

I explained that it was very concerning that the price for me to upgrade keeps going UP (first was told $20, then $200, and today was told $400!) while the price on the website keeps going DOWN. Which is a logical argument, I feel.

After much persistence, she finally agreed to upgrade my room. If at first you don't succeed, try again! Thanks again everyone, and happy sailing!

Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you in the US?? If not rules may be different where you live.

You should be able to do what you are trying to do.

LOL. I'm sorry I don't mean to laugh but you probably did what I've done in the past and not read all the previous post . Yes, the OP is in the U.S, PA (see post #8).

And I do mean this in the fun way I'm posting it.

Edited by lady_cruiser

R

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you upgraded staterooms, what about the difference in price? I know you're way past final payment. Did you receive any OBC?

So you upgraded staterooms, what about the difference in price? I know you're way past final payment. Did you receive any OBC?

No onboard credit was offered for the difference. But honestly, I was happy just to upgrade at no additional cost. After getting the Supervisor to upgrade me, I didn't want to push my luck and ask for anything more. We are actually bringing friends along who are new to cruising, but I didn't ask to have their room upgraded as well. I don't want to be too greedy.

No onboard credit was offered for the difference. But honestly, I was happy just to upgrade at no additional cost. After getting the Supervisor to upgrade me, I didn't want to push my luck and ask for anything more. We are actually bringing friends along who are new to cruising, but I didn't ask to have their room upgraded as well. I don't want to be too greedy.

Good for you; I've sailed in PR, they're not bad.

We have an E1 booked for our cruise next Sunday; they are running sales to sell cabins. D3's are $150 less than what we paid. I'm not willing to give up our location for just moving to a "bigger" cabin. We have an aft booked. If we could get some OBC (which I know they don't do anymore :mad:) I would really consider losing that prime room!

Good for you; I've sailed in PR, they're not bad.

We have an E1 booked for our cruise next Sunday; they are running sales to sell cabins. D3's are $150 less than what we paid. I'm not willing to give up our location for just moving to a "bigger" cabin. We have an aft booked. If we could get some OBC (which I know they don't do anymore :mad:) I would really consider losing that prime room!

Yeah, I understand the location. We are right across the hall from our friends in a PR room. I would've preferred an aft (love being near the Windjammer hahaha). But this is their first cruise, and since I couldn't upgrade both our rooms, I opted to take an upgrade near them.

I recently read somebody was given OBC for upgrading their room when the new total was less than what they paid. But they were Platinum members, so I guess that's what makes the difference?

Congrats!!! Way to go!!!