Premium Drink Package questions answered

grod19

I know there have been a ton of questions and not a ton of answers regarding the drink packages. Before getting into the review I will provide some background, there were 4 of us on the trip and only 2 had the premium package, one in each stateroom. This was on the explorer of the seas March 2nd 9 night sailing.

We had no problems getting drinks. We ordered almost everything on the menu and never had an issue including almost every beer on the menu at the english pub (assuming they had it in stock). Only Fosters and Chimay were excluded. The bartenders were still talkative and friendly. There didn't seem to be as many servers around the pool however I think that was a good thing. There was enough to get you a drink when you wanted one but you weren't constantly hounded with people asking you if you wanted a drink.

Normally when I ordered drinks I would order 2, one for me and one for my fiance. I told the server to charge my card for her drink and to put mine on the drink package. Never had any real issues with this either. Seemed like they get that a lot so they were used to it.

Honestly I loved the drink package. I tried a ton of drinks that I normally wouldn't and found a bunch that I really liked. There was no issues with allowing those in my group to have a sip to see if they liked a drink of mine before ordering one.

As reported by others if we wanted a drink above the determined limit we would just have to pay the difference.

If anyone has any questions fire away and when I check back in I will try and answer them

Were you able to use the drink package in vintages? I know they have a lot of wines that are over the $12 wine price limit, but they offer 2 oz pours (rather than 6 oz) which fall within the $12 limit. I've heard before that people were able to just order multiple 2 oz pours and try a number of different wines at Vintages. Wanted to see if you made it in there and found that to be the case as well. Thanks!

First off, thank you. I've pre-purchased the premium package for my wife and I for a cruise next month and have been researching the ins and outs and this will help. I do have a few questions:

What drinks did you like/dislike? Did you try some of the more different things like those with elderflower, etc? Anything not on the standard menu that you tried?

How did water work? Could you grab multiple bottle if, say, you were heading to the gym or turning in for the night and wanted more than one?

How were "neat" drinks treated? After dinner, I like a bourbon, like Bookers. neat in a brandy glass. I have seen much on drinks like this that are really not cordials like Grand Marnier, etc. Did the MDR drink waiter stop swiping the card after the 1st day, or continue throughout?

Was there anything your ordered that was refused due to package constraints (shots, coffee drinks, etc)?

I appreciate any additional info you can provide!!

First off, thank you. I've pre-purchased the premium package for my wife and I for a cruise next month and have been researching the ins and outs and this will help. I do have a few questions:

What drinks did you like/dislike? Did you try some of the more different things like those with elderflower, etc? Anything not on the standard menu that you tried?

How did water work? Could you grab multiple bottle if, say, you were heading to the gym or turning in for the night and wanted more than one?

How were "neat" drinks treated? After dinner, I like a bourbon, like Bookers. neat in a brandy glass. I have seen much on drinks like this that are really not cordials like Grand Marnier, etc. Did the MDR drink waiter stop swiping the card after the 1st day, or continue throughout?

Was there anything your ordered that was refused due to package constraints (shots, coffee drinks, etc)?

Great questions! We are also thinking about the package for our cruise in May.

At the end of the cruise was there an itemized list of what you ordered using the package? I am going to go ahead and do the Ultimate package this time and then look at consumption to see if it is worth it for me going forward. I've only done soda/water packages before.

No there wasn't. I did have to sign a receipt for each drink so if you wanted to keep track you could just hang on to all your receipts. Otherwise only the drinks purchased for my fiance showed up on the bill. Even that only said the bar and the amount.

Drinks that I liked that were a little different than normal: loved the rum runner, the goldeneye, was good too, BBC and mudslides by the pool are always tasty. I wasn't too thrilled with the mimosas/bellinis, I had never tried them before but they just used the island oasis stuff poured into champagne. We didn't have any issues getting bourbons etc. My friend had macallan almost every night after dinner. Our dinner waitress had a guinness on the table before we walked into the dining room every night. We didn't have coffee drinks but no issue with anything else. Water we were able to get without an issue. I am sure you could ask for 2 if you were hitting the gym etc. I believe my friend did this most days.

Were you able to use the drink package in vintages? I know they have a lot of wines that are over the $12 wine price limit, but they offer 2 oz pours (rather than 6 oz) which fall within the $12 limit. I've heard before that people were able to just order multiple 2 oz pours and try a number of different wines at Vintages. Wanted to see if you made it in there and found that to be the case as well. Thanks!

Sorry not a wine drinker so I didn't experiment with that part of the package

As far as "not on the standard menu", many times I just told the bartender to make me something unusual and good. Some came up with some interesting items, others just copped out and made a semi standard drink.

You can always make your own concoction. Cordials (triple sec, peach scnapps, brandies etc) are fairly interchangable to change the flavor of a drink. See the posts on here about the Peach Long Island Iced Tea.

If you know what you like sweet, sour, refreshing, etc let the bartenders know and they will normally come up with something.

Are you saying that both people in the cabin do not need to choose a package that it is ok for one person to get the premium package and the other nothing?

Yes the drink package rules have changed. The "everyone over 21 in the state room must purchase a package " rule has changed. Now if only one person wants a package, the other person doesn't have to buy one. Much better rules now.

Hello!

I haven't decided if we are going to do the drink package or not. I know I would want the soda package for sure. Does my DH have to get the soda package if I get it too? Also, if we decide after a couple of days after we have been cruising to invest in the premium package, would it go back to the beginning or just going forward? Also, would I get credit for the soda package or would I be out that money? Also, (sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question!) does anyone know if I can bring soda (I am a Dt. Mt. Dew addict) on board? It would not be a pretty scene if I have to go 8 days without my Dt. Dew fix!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No refunds on the packages (that I am aware of).

You don't have to buy it on the first day either, per the brochure (http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf) there needs to be 4 nights left in order to purchase.

Other cruisers have said that they were allowed to bring soda onboard, just understand that it will be inspected.

Hello!

I haven't decided if we are going to do the drink package or not. I know I would want the soda package for sure. Does my DH have to get the soda package if I get it too? Also, if we decide after a couple of days after we have been cruising to invest in the premium package, would it go back to the beginning or just going forward? Also, would I get credit for the soda package or would I be out that money? Also, (sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question!) does anyone know if I can bring soda (I am a Dt. Mt. Dew addict) on board? It would not be a pretty scene if I have to go 8 days without my Dt. Dew fix!

Thanks!

The package is priced per-day. If you buy it with only 4 days remaining in the trip, you will only pay for and have the benefit of the package for those 4 days. Any drinks purchased before the purchase of a package were made at menu prices.

It never has. It includes the promenade cafés which may serve Starbucks coffee (and similar speciality coffee drinks) but not the standalone Starbucks on the oasis class boats.

No other classes have standalone Starbucks, so the restriction doesn't impact them.

We have some friends on Allure and they text us saying the premium drink package DOES NOT INCLUDE Starbucks:(

Hello!

Thanks!

If you decide to "upgrade" during the cruise, within 4 days left, not only will they pro-rate for only those # of days left, they will subtract the price you paid daily for the soda package since it is included in the other packages. My dad's wife had the soda package pre-purchased before our January Allure cruise and on Day 2 decided to upgrade. They prorated and credited the different of the soda package. I hope that helps! (I can't remember if there is Dt. Dew, but if so, it would be in the Freestyle machine. You do get the Freestyle cups with the alcohol packages and i took advantage of Orange Hi-C everyday!).

My boyfriend drinks most of his drinks "on the rocks" with no mixer. His favorite, Basil Hayden's was included and they provided a true + rocks pour included in the package. Bookers was also included, but he stuck to BH instead. My dad drinks either on the rocks or "neat" as well and they were all included with no issues.

I drank nightly coffee/bailey's or irish coffee and had they were included. We also had the after dinner shots in the dining room the nights we ate there, and again, they were included. *Note: The shot glasses are not included so you have to give them back. We had a funny confusion about that as we had always purchased the shots previously before the package and my dad's wife started taking hers with. The asst. waiter provided a "look" and then we realized "duh, they probably aren't included". The next night she brought it to give back. I guess we are really good tippers because the bar waiter brought a whole set bubble wrapped for free :)

Obviously, to determine if any of the packages are "worth it" is a personal preference taking into account how much you drink. But, can you please give me an idea of how much the following costs on the Allure of the Seas: 1) a domestic beer, 2) a house wine, 3) a mixed drink (house liquor), and 4) a frozen drink? Also, do they have buckets of beer on board the Allure, and can you purchase one with the premium package? Thanks!

Edited by luvbigdogs

Does the replenish include frozen non alcoholic drinks too?

Yes

Obviously, to determine if any of the packages are "worth it" is a personal preference taking into account how much you drink. But, can you please give me an idea of how much the following costs on the Allure of the Seas: 1) a domestic beer, 2) a house wine, 3) a mixed drink (house liquor), and 4) a frozen drink? Also, do they have buckets of beer on board the Allure, and can you purchase one with the premium package? Thanks!
See the link below

http://cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink/

Also, buckets are not included, beer must be ordered one at a time, but if you bring a small cooler from home all you need to do is get the beers unopened and then place them with ice in your cooler.

If I was to get the premium package and order a cocktail and give it to my hubby who is on just the soft drinks package would I get arrested and carted off? Lol....

Has anyone just got one package and "shared" it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was to get the premium package and order a cocktail and give it to my hubby who is on just the soft drinks package would I get arrested and carted off? Lol....

Has anyone just got one package and "shared" it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharing is prohibited (buying for one and having two use it is stealing) and the cruise line may well exercise its right to 'cart you off' which is actually debarking you at the next port to make your own way home. This is part of your cruise contract.

More likely you will be stripped of your package (without refund).

Yes the drink package rules have changed. The "everyone over 21 in the state room must purchase a package " rule has changed. Now if only one person wants a package, the other person doesn't have to buy one. Much better rules now.

This is great to know. The reason we never bought the alcohol package.

I am the drinker, I love to just try different cocktails. He on the other hand, well if he has 2 drinks all cruise it is an event.

This is great to know. The reason we never bought the alcohol package.

I am the drinker, I love to just try different cocktails. He on the other hand, well if he has 2 drinks all cruise it is an event.

The everyone in a cabin has to purchase rule was eliminated a few months ago, so if you wish to get it, your DH is not required to get it as well.

Is there a limit of drinks per day with any of the drink packages. On Carnival there is a 15 drink max per day.
The only limit is the number of drinks your body can absorb before you seem to be intoxicated.