Is the convenience of buying Euros in advance vs. an ATM in Europe worth it?

The cost for the Euros through AAA is: 1 USD = 0.6828 EUR. Can anyone inform me with current exchange rate, how this compares to using an ATM in Europe, excluding bank fees that may vary from bank to bank?

So, as I write this, $1000 will yield me 683 euros. Is this within reason considering the convenience?

ATM rates are usually far superior to AAA rates. Last time we did AAA, with fees and exchange rate, AAA cost us around 8%. An ATM will cost you 1-3%.

As discussed regularly on Cruise Critic, the best way to get Euros is via in country ATMs, preferably located within a bank, for best security.

While this is a personal choice, I find the convenience of exiting our flight, walking up to an ATM that is either before or after baggage claim/immigration and having say...€500 in less than a minute to be easier than driving to order/pickup the same from a location at home. AND the transaction is done at market rates for that day.

OTOH, AAA performs a great service for those who want to use it.

The cost for the Euros through AAA is: 1 USD = 0.6828 EUR. Can anyone inform me with current exchange rate, how this compares to using an ATM in Europe, excluding bank fees that may vary from bank to bank?

So, as I write this, $1000 will yield me 683 euros. Is this within reason considering the convenience?

.7251 Euros for one US$. That is the trading rate. ATM probably give a slightly less favorable rate about .72 or .715. So you are looking at about 30 or 35 extra Euros for $1000.

• 4 weeks later...

I live in the Bahamas and anytime I am travelling I start collecting small amounts of the currency of the place I am going over the months before I go especially when I see the exchange rates look good. I find that I have lots more extra money this way that I had not intended on having any. Just an idea.:)