Star Princess Secrets - good & bad

#1Nanna

We just booked the Star Princess for a 10 day Mexico cruise out of SF, Jan 2015. This will be our 2nd cruise on Princess, but I am wanting to learn anything & everything I can about the Star. Quiet spots to relax, not to miss activities , food choices, etc... All info is appreciated!

We just booked the Star Princess for a 10 day Mexico cruise out of SF, Jan 2015. This will be our 2nd cruise on Princess, but I am wanting to learn anything & everything I can about the Star. Quiet spots to relax, not to miss activities , food choices, etc... All info is appreciated!

I see you were on the Golden Princess. The Star is almost the same and activities will be similar. The Star has a larger pool seating area on around Neptune's Reef Pool. It also has a better layout in the Horizon Ct. Buffet.

Do you know if they have the "crab shack" or the "Memphis style BBQ"?
I just got off the Star Princess Hawaii cruise. The Crab Shack was held on select sea days in the back section of the Horizon Court Buffet. And the Smokehouse Grill was available most evenings from 6pm until 11pm at the Trident Grill. It wasn't what I would call Memphis style BBQ, but it was pretty good, and was something different. Edited by Jasperdo

I'll let you know after we cruise Alaska this June

I'm on the Star next year. Landtour first then sailing on July 4th. I'll be interested to hear about your experience on the Star. I was on the Coral last year in Alaska and it was wonderful.

I am on the Star out of SF from 6/14 - 6/24. I will try and remember to provide some info on my return. But thanks for asking the question as there may be other who get off the Hawaii and Coastal runs before June departure. I will be very interested to see their input.

We were on the Star for the first time in Nov to Hawaii. I loved the ship! The size is good , looked to be in very good shape and the staff was wonderful. We were on Baja deck 623. There was zero rust on the balcony. We would sail on her anytime again.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm on the Star next year. Landtour first then sailing on July 4th. I'll be interested to hear about your experience on the Star. I was on the Coral last year in Alaska and it was wonderful.

We too will be taking a land tour before boarding the Star for the Jul 4 2015 cruise. It's going to be very difficult to wait over one year for the great adventure.

Do you know if they have the "crab shack" or the "Memphis style BBQ"?

We just got off the Golden and were not impressed with the Crab Shack. For $5 a person more you can dine at Sabatini's or the Crown Grill. You will have better service and a better selection of food.

We just got off the Golden and were not impressed with the Crab Shack. For $5 a person more you can dine at Sabatini's or the Crown Grill. You will have better service and a better selection of food.

Good info to know... I have wondered about that very thing. We loved the Crown Grill & wondered if the food would come close to comparing with the price close to the same.

I was thinking the same thing. If the price were just $10 extra, maybe I'd try it. But I can get crab cakes as an appetizer and enjoy the ambiance of the Restaurants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

...the Star. The ship is in great shape! No secrets to mention, just random thoughts:

* The pool just outside the fitness center is heated. Nice. In addition, you can turn on the machine that creates a water flow for easy swimming.

* Don't miss the Pub Lunch....that includes our favorite dessert: Bread Pudding.

* The banana "smoothie" available every morning at the Horizon Court buffet. Great way to start your day.

* If you like French toast...have breakfast in the main dining room. They'll have the outrageously delicious, crisp to perfection, "James Beard" French toast.

* The Skywalker...almost always empty and a great place to relax during the day......of course, now it won't be.

* Yes, onion rings (if you like them) are available after 6pm at the Trident Grill.

* Great crew, wonderful staff, and best of all......a very clean, well maintained ship...................like Raquel Welch, getting old but still beautiful. :)