table of 6-8 wine service

plumeria

I eat seafood whenever I have the chance and prefer a white wine such as a Reisling but only 1 glass per day. I take from this thread that we can order a bottle of Merlot and take what's left to our cabin!? I prefer to try a glass of different white wine each night. Can I buy wine by the glass in the dining room? Is there much of a selection?

Thanks

First, to the Merlot. I've not seen anyone taking wine from the table, so I can't say if this is done or not. They'll keep the leftovers cool for you, however, and serve it to you on a subsequent night at dinner.

If you like good Rieslings, you're likely to be VERY disappointed. They have the infamous Deinhard QBA (total plonk, as my British friends would say), a Chateau St. Michelle from Washington State (at least not from some overly hot climate in California, but nothing special, and without the finesse of a good German Riesling), and a Kreusch Spatlese that is about average for a Mosel Riesling. None are available by the glass. Several other whites are available by the glass, however. Drop me a line at earl dot anderson at comcast dot net and I'll send you a PDF file of a fairly recent copy of the Celebrity wine list for the main dining room.

If you order the Kreusch, and understand that a Spatlese is a little on the sweet side (this is NOT a "troken" Spaltese), it's OK. As I recall, I ordered it with some sort of pork loin. Just watch out that your sommelier doesn't chill it down so much that you can't taste it. It's cold enough from storage, and a bucket of 32.1 (0.05 degrees for those of you who are metrified) degree ice is overkill.

Due to the above, If I'm thinking Riesling on a cruise, it comes along in the carry-on. As to my comment above regarding temperature -- Mind the fridges in the cabins, though. They're barely cold enough to keep a red at the right temp! Might actually need a little ice bucket action if you plan to drink it in your room.

Hi:) I am not a Wine Connoisseur but they do have a wonderful Sauvingon

Blanc from New Zealand that goes fantastically well with seafood.

I have had it on my last 2 cruises and plan on at least one bottle in October.

It is called Nobilo and I really recommend it to you. I think it is in the 30.00

range.

It is excellent and thought I would tell you about it since you like seafood:D

Hi:) I am not a Wine Connoisseur but they do have a wonderful Sauvingon

Blanc from New Zealand that goes fantastically well with seafood.

I have had it on my last 2 cruises and plan on at least one bottle in October.

It is called Nobilo and I really recommend it to you. I think it is in the 30.00

range.

Great stuff from NZ. We had some on our 4/05 cruise. $29, and well worth it. For another $10, the Cakebread is really nice, too, but I think I'd seriously consider taking the Nobilo and pocketing the $10!

For anyone with a sweet tooth -- something special. You'll only get this on one of the M-Class ships. The specialty restaurant list includes Vin de Constance. It's a very nice dessert wine from South Africa... said to be a favorite of Napolean while he was in the clink. If asked, your sommelier can bring one up from the other restaurant, but it'd be nice to provide a day's notice in order to avoid an extra trip down there. It's not an arm and a leg like some of the high end Sauterne, either.

Yeah, yeah. I see you all saying that. We don't have any trouble, either. My wife drinks a glass and a half, and I'm 'stuck' with the rest.

Hic...

Gee, looks like you are a wino just like me!! 12_13_11.gif 7_4_13.gif

Hi Lois, nice to see you!

You can get wine by the glass in the diningroom, but the selection is limited. If you buy a bottle, but don't finish it, the wine steward will keep it for you for the next night(s), but I don't think you can take rest of the bottle to your cabin. You are allowed to bring wines onboard for use in your cabin, though, and your cabin steward will bring wine glasses for you.

Friends of ours had an open bottle of wine from the dining room sent to their stateroom. This was 2 years ago on Millennium.

They won't let you walk out of the dining room with it, but they will have it delivered to your stateroom.

Anne Maria

After all this time on X, it's nice to know that this is being done. A tip for those who bring their own -- the reverse procedure is also considered appropriate. Give your bottle to your cabin steward before dinner (give him some time, as it's a special trip down) to have it delivered to your wine steward, and later to your dinner table. They frown on "brown bagging" it yourself ;)

We usually sit at a table of 8, and don't share wine. A bottle doesn't serve 8 anyway.....maybe 3.5 so it's not going to work. We do tend to bring our own wine as well and sharing a $150 bottle that has been brought from the wine rack with strangers, who may or may not even like it, would be a waste.

On our last cruise, we had a table of 10, all were selected prior to sailing as a group that met on "roll call". We all got along great, but no one shared wine, for all the obivous reasons. Selection, taste, dinner selection, didn't drink wine and preferered cocktails etc. It really isn't a problem, nor does it need to be discussed.

I desperately would love to find a wine to drink that would not be frowned upon by others (I order white zinfandel now :rolleyes: ). I get headaches from red so I'm looking for a white wine probably very sweet. My drink of choice right now is asti or actually a Mike's Hard Lemonade (I know, I know...)

Can any of you suggest a few wines for me to try?

I too can only have maybe one glass of red wine and then get a headache if I drink more. I also was a white zifandel person for many years but I did get tired of it.

Celebrity has this Piesporter Reisling Dinehard white wine that is delicious. Only problem is I can't get it here at home. I anxiously await my cruises so I can order that wine with my dinner.

I also like the Sauvignon Blanc too. You might want to try these.

As for Red I can drink the St. Francis merlot, one or maybe two at the most glasses and I will be okay.

Anne Maria

I desperately would love to find a wine to drink that would not be frowned upon by others (I order white zinfandel now :rolleyes: ). I get headaches from red so I'm looking for a white wine probably very sweet. My drink of choice right now is asti or actually a Mike's Hard Lemonade (I know, I know...)

Can any of you suggest a few wines for me to try?

Celebrity carries one passable German Riesling by Kreusch. It is a "Spatlese", meaning that the grapes are picked later in the season, and have more sugar. That said, it also has decent acidity, so it doesn't come off like grape syrup! Avoid the other (I believe it's a Deinhard, as CrusingChick suggests -- sorry CC) German wine in their selection as it is a pitiful example of a German Riesling wine. There are so many better choices in German wines than Deinhard, Bishop and the like.

Over time, if you're willing to shop for the better German wines, you may well discover yourself preferring them to the white zins, but do expect to pay a bit more for them.

I desperately would love to find a wine to drink that would not be frowned upon by others (I order white zinfandel now)
Order what you want to drink. Don't worry about impressing other folks. There's a Beringer white zinfandel on the wine list I found here on page 5.

Celebrity has this Piesporter Reisling Dinehard white wine that is delicious. Only problem is I can't get it here at home. I anxiously await my cruises so I can order that wine with my dinner.

Wine, like anything, is a matter of preference, and I didn't mean to knock yours too hard in the message above. You should have no problem finding Deinhard wines -- they produce rivers of it and it's one of the more commonly distributed "low end" (sorry) German wines here in the U.S. I forgot to check your state, so don't know if you happen to be in one of the few states with the heavily controlled lists (e.g., New Hampshire), but if not, you really should be able to find this at any of the larger wine shops that have some breadth in their stock.

Hi,:) I agree, it is all a matter of personal taste.

We had a wonderful table on Century. 2 couples were from England and one of them could not get enough of Kendall Jackson. They would order it all the time and always offered to share.....if the rest of us declined it was no problem for them.....they drank it all themselves.;)

Nothing is wrong with Kendall Jackson mind you, but if you are not a red drinker you would not have enjoyed it.

canderson,

While usually I prefer things that cost more....clothes, jewlery, etc. when it comes to wine, my tastes usually prefer the less expensive stuff. Don't know why. Maybe because I grew up on the wine my grandfather made in the basement. Who knows. A really expensive bottle of wine would be lost on me.

I tend to like Robert Mondavi and also his Woodbridge brand and I like Bollini (sp?) and then the Piesporter I had on the cruise.

I have found some reislings here in CT, but I don't think any of them were the Dinehard 2000 that I had on Celebrity.

Anne Maria

Archived