table of 6-8 wine service

plumeria

just wondering when you have big table 6-8 does everyone share wine? Do you take turns buying? how does it work ?

Plumeria

It all depends on your table mates, they may not even drink wine.

A good Idea is to ask how the wine situation sholuld be handled

It has been my expierence that by getting the issue out on the table (pardon the pun) will be your best bet.

Phil

We usually bring our own wine (pay the corkage fee), and offer it to the table...some drink, some don't. But we don't expect everyone to take turns. If you've got a great group of tablemates, then everyone takes turns.

Karyn

Hi:) I agree with Phil...why am I not surprised?;)

First, sometimes people don't drink...honest, sometimes folks don't LOL

Then there are people who drink, but don't choose to share.

Then there are those who drink and share...and then you have the rest of

and we drink like a fountain:D just kidding!

It really does depend on your tablemates. I have been very lucky and most of

my tablemates have been wonderful.

Phil, Marti and I had an awesome table on Mercury! We drank and shared

every night. And we were quite lucky and met 2 men from HQ who were sailing with us. They sent us 4 bottles of wine so we all shared them of course!

When I sailed Century in March I had another fabulous table. 8 of us and

we shared every night too.

Constellation, 2 friends and I shared....we offered at the beginning of the cruise to share with the others...this is where folks are different. They all drank different wines than we did.

We offered on more than one evening......they declined our offer...and didn't

even try to reciprocate..which I thought was a bit strange. But maybe that

is me.

Now on the last night...we all did actually share a bottle of bubbly. And this was a group from CC...so we did sort of know one another.

So, it just depends on your tablemates.

THis is just one more reason to go for a table for 2. THere's the initial awkwardness of broaching the subject, the problem of those tablemates (and you'll meet them) who give you a lecture on the "demon rum", those who consider themselves "experts" because they can tell the difference between Boone's Farm and Annie Green Springs and those who'll offer to do the ordering if everyone will chip in (and then order the most expensive plonk).

Still, don't let me stop you from ordering a nice bottle! :rolleyes:

I offer a taste to someone at the table who is a wine drinker. That may necessitate the purchase of another bottle (or not). A good sommelier is a big help here.

Usually the gesture is reciprocated. If not, its not repeated.

My experience is that the table has multiple bottles, and we all have a good time sharing.

You have to "feel your way along".

Fortunetly, I have had no lectures.

And some of us sail solo. I am always up for a big table....the % are with me

about getting a good table. I do enjoy my own company but would much

rather have a large table than to sit on my own...in the dining room anyway.

And most of my tablemates have been from these boards. And usually

everything works out just fine:)

I don't really think it's very awkward at a big table. I love being at a larger table though. I always order a bottle of wine the first night and offer it to my tablemates. If they'd like to share that's fine, and if not that's also fine, but I like to offer. I don't feel obligated though, it's just something I like to do. I've been with people who didn't share and that's fine too. I've always had good luck with dinner companions, and have met some truely wonderful people that I still keep in touch with at dinner on a cruise.

Terri

A coworker of mine was just telling me a story on her experience about this two weeks ago. It was her first cruise(7 day) and she had purchased the wine package and shared with her tablemates. She said no one at the table offered to buy wine at all. So on the last two days, she didn't offer anymore.

We had a table for 8 last time and we simply dicussed it with our mates the first night. DH and I have no problem drinking a whole bottle of wine between the two of us with dinner, and some of the other couples would drink half and then save the other half for the next evening. I think I remember offering tastes to the other table members if they were intestested. We were just really lucky that everyone wanted to do their own thing. I think it works out best if you have your own bottle each night weather you drink it all or just half. That way you get to drink what is to your taste and price range, and there is no trying to impress others with your exquisite wine taste kind of thing.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I thought the big table did lead to slower wine service.

This next cruise we have requested a table for 4 and will be with the kids, so if we get that table, then we won't even have to worry about working it out with table mates or service speed.

The times we have been at tables with strangers (meaning not traveling with family or good friends) we have never even thought about "sharing" wine. Most of the time either my husband and I split a bottle between us or he'll get his own bottle and I'll get mine since we most likely will not be eating the same entree.

No one has ever asked us to share either. I just assumed that each party would order their own wine and drink it. Especially since my husband is very picky about his wine and I also have my definite favorites.

As for wine service we have had SLOW service at tables for 6, 8 and 10. So I have no clue what the solution to that is. Especially since we tell our waiter and sommelier right from the first night that we will be having wine every night with dinner.

Anne Maria

We have had wonderful tablemates on most of our cruises, but everyone has their own wine preferences. We order our own wine or pay the corkage. The two of us usually have no problem finishing a bottle ourselves. When we've brought something special, we've asked the somelier if he'd like to taste it.

We've never been at a table where there was an expectation of sharing wine. Perhaps it's because we're usually at tables for eight. A bottle wouldn't be enough for that many. We have shared a glass with a tablemate and offered a taste a few times.

We always finish a bottle between the two of us at dinner, both on a curise and at home. We have been at tables for 4 6 & 8 but oddly enough we have never been with another couple who drank wine. If we had been we would have expected two bottles to be purchased each evening, either to share or one per couple. We have been with a group who shared the purchase of asti each night with each couple taking a turn. This was in addition to our bottle of wine which we drank. After our first cruise, we have never felt awkard ordering and drinking our own bottle of wine.

We play it by ear based on our table mates. We have done both ways but totally feel comfortable asking the question on the first night if our table mates are wine drinkers.

Here's an interesting thing we found on one cruise... One tablemate we had looked at the menu for the next night, decided what he wanted to eat and pre-ordered the next night's wine the evening ahead. The next night, the bottle he chose was waiting for him and simply needed opening. It worked out great and we now try doing that when we can. Saves time and also makes for an enjoyable evening! Give it a try.

I agree, we have no problem finishing a bottle of wine between ourselves at dinner! When we travel with others, sometimes we share & each take turns buying, but that really doesn't always seem to work so fairly, so I think from now on, we will just order & drink our own wine & then there is no confusion or people made to feel like they did or did not participate properly in the exchange. :D

I am another that prefers to bring my own wine and pay a corkage fee. I drink mostly French and Italian wines of which most lines have a fairly limited selection. I prefer to drink a wine I know I enjoy than to be limited to the ship's offerings. And frankly, I am able to drink a much better bottle for less cost.

I always offer a taste to the head waiter or sommelier and they usually accept. And, when seated with others who drink similar wines I will normally offer a glass and then make a judgement on if I will continue to share. Some folks do not drink wine at all and some consider White Zinfandel a good choice. If I see this early on, then I will choose not to offer as I know we will not be sharing.

The times we have been at tables with strangers (meaning not traveling with family or good friends) we have never even thought about "sharing" wine. Most of the time either my husband and I split a bottle between us or he'll get his own bottle and I'll get mine since we most likely will not be eating the same entree.

This is really smart! Considering that they will store any wine you don't drink for later in the week, I will definietly consider doing this. Michael and I each have very different tastes in wine and this seems a good plan to keep everyone happy.

On our last (and first) cruise, we had a table for eight and never shared...because the other six never once came to the dining room to eat. We had a prime table and so we presume they either had room service, the casual dining or some other option. Our friends say they saw us the first night and chose not to join us. We don't have great friends. :)

On our Constellation Cruise, we will likely deflect the invitation to share, but for the opposite reason as the one cited above. We are very easily pleased by most wines and are happy with what I'm sure most would consider moderate (or cheap) wines. We would not want to force our taste on others or have their budget forced on us.

My husband is not a wine drinker. We usually travel with a group of family/friends so it's not a problem. We have however, sailed as a couple only. In that case, I usually see what others at the table do on the first night. If they are interested in sharing, then the 2nd night I will buy wine and share. More recently though, people are just buying wine for themselves. I have no problem purchasing a bottle of wine and saving it for me for another night. I am not a wine afficienado so I only know what tastes good to me. It could be a $6 bottle or a very expensive one. I probably wouldn't know the difference, so probably it's best not to share with me, lol.

Katie

HI folks,

We always ask for large tables as we enjoy meeting a bunch of people and it makes for a fun cruise.

I don't drink, and my wife may only have one or two glasses over the course of a cruise. On some of our cruises tablemates have shared, etc, but we have declined to do so. We never felt awkward and it was no big deal. We always had a great time with our tablemates. However, it could have been problematic if some had pushed the idea of sharing or insisted that we try some of their wine.

Simply do what feels comfortable once you get aquainted with the folks at your table.

For the most part, though, it would seem that "sharing" ultimately means that some folks will purchase and or drink wines that they otherwise might not have chosen, so it is a very gracious but perhaps unnecessary and unwelcome gesture.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

THis is just one more reason to go for a table for 2. THere's the initial awkwardness of broaching the subject, the problem of those tablemates (and you'll meet them) who give you a lecture on the "demon rum", those who consider themselves "experts" because they can tell the difference between Boone's Farm and Annie Green Springs and those who'll offer to do the ordering if everyone will chip in (and then order the most expensive plonk).

Still, don't let me stop you from ordering a nice bottle! :rolleyes:

Our experience thus far has been quite good, and provides us with no excuse to take the table for two by the waiters' entrance;) .

As for Boone's and Annie (do they still sell both of these???), even those of us who claim some expertise couldn't tell the difference when we were young. Was there any difference?

We bring some number of bottles with us and plan to purchase others. We've either run across those that don't drink much wine, or are more than happy to reciprocate with something new from the wine list.

I agree, we have no problem finishing a bottle of wine between ourselves at dinner!
Yeah, yeah. I see you all saying that. We don't have any trouble, either. My wife drinks a glass and a half, and I'm 'stuck' with the rest.

Hic...

We were at a table for 8, and everyone ordered their own. Sometimes, we offered a taste to someone sitting next to us and at other times we did not. If we did not finish our bottle, we either took it to our room for consuming on our balcony after dinner or the wine steward saved it for the next day.

There was never an issue or problem. Some nights we brought our own wine and paid corkage. Other nights we bought the ship's wine.

We're on the Summit to Alaska in 2006. Poured through these Boards and learned a lot in preparation for our cruise but I still need help. This is a great thread!

My wife is a meat eater and a Merlot fan with a glass at dinner and a small amount before bed. I eat seafood whenever I have the chance and prefer a white wine such as a Reisling but only 1 glass per day. I take from this thread that we can order a bottle of Merlot and take what's left to our cabin!? I prefer to try a glass of different white wine each night. Can I buy wine by the glass in the dining room? Is there much of a selection?

Thanks

Archived