Name on BC doesnt match name?

JdoggCruiser

My friends are going on there first cruise in 2 weeks. They have guardianship of a 13 yo girl. They have all the papers for that and a notorized paper saying its ok to leave the country. Here is the dilemma. They applied for a passport 2 weeks ago and had it returned for more info. They resubmitted and now the wait.

The girls last name on the BC is different than her now last name. They have an embossed birth certificate and the court papers for the name change. In your opinion if her passport doesnt arrive will she be allowed to board ship? Thank you in advance.

My friends are going on there first cruise in 2 weeks. They have guardianship of a 13 yo girl. They have all the papers for that and a notorized paper saying its ok to leave the country. Here is the dilemma. They applied for a passport 2 weeks ago and had it returned for more info. They resubmitted and now the wait.

The girls last name on the BC is different than her now last name. They have an embossed birth certificate and the court papers for the name change. In your opinion if her passport doesnt arrive will she be allowed to board ship? Thank you in advance.

I'd say you may have a concern as the government doesn't do anything in 2 weeks.

Not sure if I caught all the details correctly but what if you just changed the booking for the girl to match the birth certificate ? This way you at least have a matching name and documentation to get her on the ship

My husband booked our cruise under my married name. My passport still has my maiden name. I emailed Carnival to have the reservation changed and it wasn't an issue. Very quick and easy. The only concern I would have if I were you is the additional documentation you have. Which name are they in or is there a paper trail of the name change?

It is possible to get the passport. Anything is possible. :)

If I understand, they have the BC, and proper papers showing the name change. They should be fine. Any married woman who has her BC as part of her Id and has taken her husbands name has a different name than her BC. One thing they can do is get her a state issued ID with the new name, in our state you can go in and get them at the time of application, not every state is like that. This would be a state Id, not a drivers license of course. Another is to check with someone at the courthouse to see if they would be available to verify info by fax at the time of boarding if needed. Extreme maybe, but better than not getting on. I hope and pray the passport comes, if not have all the i's dotted and t's crossed.

Im not completely certain the details of name change. He said he has the papers showing it. It would be so much easier if the passport would arrive.

I'm assuming due to the travelling with a BC thing that you are in the States. I am not, but I know there are always rush options for passports. I'd be looking into that as well.

Did you expedite the passport?

Last year I didn't realize my boys passports had elapsed....guess I forgot children's passports aren't good for as long as adults....it was 10 days before our cruise.

I almost had a heart attack because one of my son's in adopted internationally and does NOT have a US birth certificate (so we couldn't even try to travel with a birth certificate instead of a passport) - RAN to the post office and expedited the passports...got them both back in a couple days.....maybe 3-4 days.

The guy at the post office who did the passports was very calm and assured us it was no problem he did it all the time and it would be just fine and it was.

With the embossed BC and the court papers granting the name change you should be ok.

In a situation of a married woman that took her husband's name she must show her BC along with marriage certificate which is also considered a court document for progression of name.

With the documentation you have you should be ok.

But didn't they have to send in the BC with the passport application? If the passport doesn't come, neither will the BC. Unless they have another copy...EM

Must people have multiple certified copies of their kids bc's. Someone is always needing it for something....school, sports leagues, etc.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

My DD had a name change and all I did was go to the local Health Dept, were you get certified copies of BCs, and got the one with her current last name on it. No big deal. Maybe that's an option. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Forums mobile app

If your petition for a name change has been approved and signed

By a judge there won't be an issue. Just bring a signed certified

Copy of the court order along with the birth certificate. Been there done

that. HAPPY SAILING

I was in the exact same situation you are talking about. On February 28th I sent my passport off expedited with overnight shipping paid for both ways. On the morning of March 11th I received an email from the passport agency needing more info because my last name on birth certificate did not match my assumed last name growing up. I overnighted school records, military records, shot record and tax records that same day. Called on March 18th and they said my passport was accepted and completed and would be overnighted that same day. I had it in my hands March 19th at noon. Less than 3 weeks door to door. I hope you'll receive it back in time for your cruise. Mine is departing on the 7th so I understand the time crunch. Make sure to call everyday and get updates. Good luck!

If I was them I would bring all the identification for the girl that they have.

I would think that there would be no problem, but I would rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it.

Does she possibly have a state issued id card with her correct name?

You know, the ones that are issued by the drivers license agency for non-drivers.

I would want one.

My daughter had one when she sailed with her grandmother.

She felt really cool and grown up with it. :)

It seems like it was around twenty to thirty dollars.

It would make me feel a lot more confident if I was in their place.

I would also get to the port as early in the day as they can.

Edited by mzloolue