Dry-cleaning

editor@cruisecritic

While river boats tend to offer laundry service, few (or none that I know) offer dry-cleaning. What do you do when you need to dry-clean something? I'm in Europe with a few days between voyages and would love your advice, beyond -- and this I could figure out for myself but forgot when packing! -- don't bring anything that needs to be dry-cleaned :)

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Good question, Carolyn but you are in Europe and a dry cleaner should not be hard to find, if you have enough time. If you are between voyages and in a hotel for a few days, then bite the bullet and turn it over to the hotel for dry cleaning. Or ask the front desk for the nearest dry cleaner who can do the job quickly. Otherwise, you are out of luck; pack that item at the bottom of your suitcase and deal with it when you get home.

Dry cleaners in Germany at least need 24 to 48 hours to get your stuff done (if not longer). You can give it a try. But I´m not sure about an express service (gee, I haven´t used a dry cleaner for years I fear).

steamboats

HI, DAVE,

Long time since the Royal Princess inaugural. I remember our Good Times together last year.

Carolyn S-B: I have not dry-cleaned anything in about 25 years (since I left Lockheed-California Company in Burbank). In the 60's, we could not wear slacks in the office unless it were a "Slack Suit" with a matching jacket. :eek:Wow! How times have changed.

When I was 18, I lived in Pirmasens, Germany (2 hours south of Frankfurt) for 2-1/2 years. My first daughter was born at the Munchweiler Army Hospital. We wore lots of wool because it was Freezing (says the California Princess). ;)

I have not yet tried it but I bought a product at the supermarket (Vons or Ralphs here in California). It is used for dry cleaning in your DRYER. Do they have dryers on river boats? I will be on my first river cruise next year. Seems like a great idea, even to try at home to see if it works before traveling. Look for it and let us know. :D

HI, DAVE,

Long time since the Royal Princess inaugural. I remember our Good Times together last year.

Carolyn S-B: I have not dry-cleaned anything in about 25 years (since I left Lockheed-California Company in Burbank). In the 60's, we could not wear slacks in the office unless it were a "Slack Suit" with a matching jacket. :eek:Wow! How times have changed.

When I was 18, I lived in Pirmasens, Germany (2 hours south of Frankfurt) for 2-1/2 years. My first daughter was born at the Munchweiler Army Hospital. We wore lots of wool because it was Freezing (says the California Princess). ;)

I have not yet tried it but I bought a product at the supermarket (Vons or Ralphs here in California). It is used for dry cleaning in your DRYER. Do they have dryers on river boats? I will be on my first river cruise next year. Seems like a great idea, even to try at home to see if it works before traveling. Look for it and let us know. :D

From what I've read, for the most part, river cruises do not have self (passenger) use laundry facilities. There are laundry services for use onboard. Many of us when traveling on longer trips that don't have laundry facilities for us to use, tend to wash out our "undies" and quick dry blouses/shirts in the sink most nights. And utilize the laundry service for those things that are just too bulky to handle ourselves.

That's what we plan to do on our 24 night river cruise.

Hey -- it's worth a try!

Carolyn

HI, DAVE,

Just off Uniworld's new SS Catherine -- didn't discover a gorgeous little laundry room until the last day, but Uniworld does. Just boarded AmaReina, no machines here, but as was said earlier, prices aren't too bad to have it done....

I don't normally worry about it for the usual trip but on this one I'm traveling for longer than usual :)

Carolyn

From what I've read, for the most part, river cruises do not have self (passenger) use laundry facilities. There are laundry services for use onboard. Many of us when traveling on longer trips that don't have laundry facilities for us to use, tend to wash out our "undies" and quick dry blouses/shirts in the sink most nights. And utilize the laundry service for those things that are just too bulky to handle ourselves.

That's what we plan to do on our 24 night river cruise.

Hello Carolyn,

Just off Uniworld's new SS Catherine -- didn't discover a gorgeous little laundry room until the last day, but Uniworld does. Just boarded AmaReina, no machines here, but as was said earlier, prices aren't too bad to have it done....

I don't normally worry about it for the usual trip but on this one I'm traveling for longer than usual :)

Carolyn

AmaReina... :cool:

I am a little envious. I would have loved to travel to the christening in Bavaria. Alas, work won't allow me to. The godmother is Heide von Hohenzollern, who resides in Namedy castle on the Rhine. Lovely place. The "collaboration" with AmaWaterways came about as the Princess opens her castle to travellers during an itinerary with a royal theme this year. Sounds great.

notamermaid