First time on Celebrity and in Bermuda

Eiansmomma

We just booked our first cruise on the Celebrity Summit and will be visiting Bermuda. We have cruised twice before (both times were on Carnival and both times we went to the Bahamas). We will be traveling with our 3 children (12, 8 & 5) and have booked the Family Veranda Suite #9197

I'm feeling slighting overwhelmed and I don't know where to start. This is all new to me and I'm horrible with new things :p

When we went to the Bahamas we booked/planned most of our excursions ourselves and I felt comfortable doing that. Is it safe to do the same in Bermuda? What are some of the "do not miss" things in Bermuda?

What are some "must know" things regarding Celebrity and the Summit? Anyone have thoughts/opinions on the kids program?

I'm sure I will have 1000 more questions but that should help get me started!

Thanks!! :D:D

We just booked our first cruise on the Celebrity Summit and will be visiting Bermuda. We have cruised twice before (both times were on Carnival and both times we went to the Bahamas). We will be traveling with our 3 children (12, 8 & 5) and have booked the Family Veranda Suite #9197

I'm feeling slighting overwhelmed and I don't know where to start. This is all new to me and I'm horrible with new things :p

When we went to the Bahamas we booked/planned most of our excursions ourselves and I felt comfortable doing that. Is it safe to do the same in Bermuda? What are some of the "do not miss" things in Bermuda?

What are some "must know" things regarding Celebrity and the Summit? Anyone have thoughts/opinions on the kids program?

I'm sure I will have 1000 more questions but that should help get me started!

Thanks!! :D:D

Got to the Bermuda board and they can hook you up with some great beaches. Bermuda is probably a lot safer than the Bahama's. Celebrity's kids programs are great, I assume you are going in the summer and there will be loads of kids. Our kids loved Bermuda and Celebrity. Celebrity is a little more formal in dress so you need to watch that but the food is great and Summit is a nice ship.

Got to the Bermuda board and they can hook you up with some great beaches. Bermuda is probably a lot safer than the Bahama's. Celebrity's kids programs are great, I assume you are going in the summer and there will be loads of kids. Our kids loved Bermuda and Celebrity. Celebrity is a little more formal in dress so you need to watch that but the food is great and Summit is a nice ship.

We are sailing August 24th!

We felt very safe in The Bahamas so we shouldn't have a problem at all in Bermuda.

What do you mean by it's a little more formal (hopefully it's what I think you mean and we won't be seeing people walking around in pajamas and bath robes)? Can we still wear jeans/shorts etc to walk around the ship? How many formal nights are there?

We have been to Bermuda many, many times -- in fact, it is our favorite cruise destination!!

Here is a great website: http://www.gotobermuda.com/default/. Last time we went with 2 other couples and instead of booking an excursion from the ship, we went ashore and hired a taxi (van). He took us all over the island - to all the places we wanted to see - and it only cost us $75 per couple. We even got to bring back bottles of pink sand! :)

If you have time check out Tabbaco Bay. If you can find your way to this site, try going to the Celebrity website for formal night info and dress codes.

Great cruise for kids, lots of history for them

We have been to Bermuda many, many times -- in fact, it is our favorite cruise destination!!

Here is a great website: http://www.gotobermuda.com/default/. Last time we went with 2 other couples and instead of booking an excursion from the ship, we went ashore and hired a taxi (van). He took us all over the island - to all the places we wanted to see - and it only cost us $75 per couple. We even got to bring back bottles of pink sand! :)

I've been reading/researching and I think that is pretty close to what we will do. We are in Bermuda for 2 nights and there will be 5 of us. We are thinking about getting the 3 day transportation pass and just book everything ourselves. I know we want to do the beach and probably the caves. My son wants to snorkel (and so do I).

Do you have any restaurant recommendations or "must have" food?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can do everything yourself. There is ferry that takes you over to Hamilton. From there I recommend taking a taxi to the Aquarium/Zoo. It was great- loved it. We did an island excursion through Celebrity that included a little island tour and a visit to the Crystal Caves and Zoo. It was ok but if I went back- I'd just take the ferry over like I said and go to the zoo. The other thing we enjoyed was snorkling and there are lots of tours that you can book from the ship or right on the dock. There is the dophin encounter within walking distance of the ship. We did it and the dophins were very fun and friendly but the pool they swim in is small and that made me feel really sad.

Bermuda is a lovely island and there is no one trying to sell you crap like in the Bahamas. No people trying to braid your hair.

As for the ship- we loved Bistro on Five and Qsine. Both are musts.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We are sailing August 24th!

We felt very safe in The Bahamas so we shouldn't have a problem at all in Bermuda.

What do you mean by it's a little more formal (hopefully it's what I think you mean and we won't be seeing people walking around in pajamas and bath robes)? Can we still wear jeans/shorts etc to walk around the ship? How many formal nights are there?

Just the dress code, there will be two formal nights, day 2 and day 6. Almost everyone is in shorts during the day, at night most will be dressed up. No shorts in the dining rooms except for the buffet. Jeans are fine in the dining rooms except for formal nights when jackets are required.

Just the dress code, there will be two formal nights, day 2 and day 6. Almost everyone is in shorts during the day, at night most will be dressed up. No shorts in the dining rooms except for the buffet. Jeans are fine in the dining rooms except for formal nights when jackets are required.

We will be perfectly fine then. The girls and I pretty much live in dresses. I'm ready for some sun!!

The 3 day pass lets you ride all over the island either by ferry boat or bus, it's a real bargain. the people are very friendly and will explain which buses to use to get where you want to go.

The main bus teminal is a block up the hill from where the ferry docks in Hamilton. Check out before you go the best things you want to do so you don't waste any valuable time once you arrive.

J.

Here is a question that I have always wondered but never asked (figured it didn't matter much on carnival). Flip-flops at dinner! I wear lots of flip flops in the summer (I also call them sandals). They aren't the $1, plastic ones from old navy but nice "dressy" ones that look terrific with my dresses and dressy wear (yes even some of my formal wear). Just curious....

"Dressy Flip-Flops" never heard of them. Better check with the Fashion Police

J.

All of my "dressy flip-flops" are on a high wedge and have rhinestones, colored stones or metal embellishments on the straps. They are far from looking like a flip-flop that someone would wear with a bathing suit by the pool or at the beach.

Just because they have a thong between the toe doesnt automatically make them flip-flops, I consider them a sandal.

But...I would never wear them on formal night :eek:

Bermuda is famous for its sea glass (broken bottles thrown away and sanded over the years by being tossed in the ocean against the sand. We really enjoyed picking some up and it looks lovely in vases. We just take the small bits. People even sell it on eBay!!

From Trip advisor:

This small beach, not suited for sunbathing or swimming, is over flowing with sanded sea glass. It is not in Hamilton direct though, but about a 30 minute walk from the Royal Navy Dockyard, where your ship is. It it behind the Alberts Row Apartments, and the very old, and small "Convicts Cemetery" The #7 or #8 bus will drop you off right by it. (corner of Mailbar and Cochran) Walk behind the apartments, and past the Convicts Cemetery. You will see a set of stairs leading to the beach. Wear sand shoes or something you don't mind getting wet, as you may have to walk through a little water.

You can google for other places as well

This might not be up your line at all but I thought the kids might enjoy something like this.

We loved Bermuda. Enjoy your cruise.

We loved the sea glass beach, too. The Bermuda board had an entry with directions to walk there, and it was an easy and interesting walk. Chickens run free on Bermuda, and they're fun to watch. Funny to hear a rooster crow in an unexpected place...

On our second trip to Bermuda, we did a Helmet Dive tour -- very cool and a unique twist if you already like snorkleling.

Can't wait to go back there, it's a special place! Enjoy.

We LOVE Bermuda & have been back every year for the last 5. The site I found most helpful for planning our trips was http://www.Bermuda-attractions.com. I always just get the 2 day transportation passes for our group; Day 1&2 we travel the islands, Day 3 we spend at the Dockyard & sea glass beach, shopping at the Clocktower, watching glassblowers create beautiful objects, sampling rum cakes, etc. My favorite restaurant on the island is the Swizzle Inn by the Crystal Caves. The bus stops you off at Swizzle inn but I'd do the caves first or you'll be swizzling down into the caverns, lol. After doing the caves, we went to eat/drink, then picked up the bus to ST George. One of our days (ok sometimes both days) is always reserved for Horseshoe Bay Beach... When we go back in Oct for just a matter of hours, I'm certain this is how we'll spend those precious hours... It's my happy place.

Enjoy your Bermuda cruise!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

We LOVE Bermuda & have been back every year for the last 5. The site I found most helpful for planning our trips was www.Bermuda-attractions.com. I always just get the 2 day transportation passes for our group; Day 1&2 we travel the islands, Day 3 we spend at the Dockyard & sea glass beach, shopping at the Clocktower, watching glassblowers create beautiful objects, sampling rum cakes, etc. My favorite restaurant on the island is the Swizzle Inn by the Crystal Caves. The bus stops you off at Swizzle inn but I'd do the caves first or you'll be swizzling down into the caverns, lol. After doing the caves, we went to eat/drink, then picked up the bus to ST George. One of our days (ok sometimes both days) is always reserved for Horseshoe Bay Beach... When we go back in Oct for just a matter of hours, I'm certain this is how we'll spend those precious hours... It's my happy place.

Enjoy your Bermuda cruise!!

Hi:).....I did your favorites last year!...I went to Bermuda back in

August and got the 2 day pass. First day I took the ferry over to

St George....I sail on my own and it was all so easy:D....I then

picked up the bus in St George and got off at the corner where

Swizzle Inn is located and walked down to Crystal Caves. I took

that tour and then walked back up to Swizzle Inn for lunch....it was

delicious and the that Rum Swizzle? AWESOME!....Instead of going

back to St George? I picked up the bus and took a really nice ride

to Hamilton.....then I took the ferry back to the ship from there.

2nd day I took the ferry directly to Hamilton....walked around, went

to a Museum downtown...then had lunch at the The Hog Penney:D

Delicious there too!

I loved my visit to Bermuda!:)

Hi:).....I did your favorites last year!...I went to Bermuda back in

August and got the 2 day pass. First day I took the ferry over to

St George....I sail on my own and it was all so easy:D....I then

picked up the bus in St George and got off at the corner where

Swizzle Inn is located and walked down to Crystal Caves. I took

that tour and then walked back up to Swizzle Inn for lunch....it was

delicious and the that Rum Swizzle? AWESOME!....Instead of going

back to St George? I picked up the bus and took a really nice ride

to Hamilton.....then I took the ferry back to the ship from there.

2nd day I took the ferry directly to Hamilton....walked around, went

to a Museum downtown...then had lunch at the The Hog Penney:D

Delicious there too!

I loved my visit to Bermuda!:)

Glad you approved! ;) Yes, Hog Penny is also a great place. I haven't been back there in many years, but happy to hear it's still a good place to stop. Perhaps I'll get reacquainted with it in October, though unfortunately this stop we're making in Bermuda is ridiculously short. I looked and looked for a 7 day cruise just to Bermuda in late October and couldn't find one this year. :( we were not happy. I wonder why RCI isn't doing them anymore (neither Celebrity nor Royal Caribbean)? Very disappointing.

At any rate, thanks for the reminder about Hog Penny, Lois.

Rosie

Glad you approved! ;) Yes, Hog Penny is also a great place. I haven't been back there in many years, but happy to hear it's still a good place to stop. Perhaps I'll get reacquainted with it in October, though unfortunately this stop we're making in Bermuda is ridiculously short. I looked and looked for a 7 day cruise just to Bermuda in late October and couldn't find one this year. :( we were not happy. I wonder why RCI isn't doing them anymore (neither Celebrity nor Royal Caribbean)? Very disappointing.

At any rate, thanks for the reminder about Hog Penny, Lois.

Rosie

Hi Rosie, yes, the food was delicious. I had fish chowder with sherry poured on top.....OMG....some of the best soup I have ever eaten:D

As for sailing in October? The season is for Bermuda is already finished

by then:(...that is why you can't find any sailings. They send her

down to San Juan for the Caribbean season.