Clean before you cruise?

runner2013

I usually clean my house before we leave, but not to have a clean house when we come home, rather because my MIL and FIL come to stay with our daughter. The last time they came, (and I mean the last) my MIL rearranged my kitchen, went through DD's drawers and threw away clothing she (MIL) didn't care for, and apparently, my potato drawer was not clean enough, so she cleaned it and told me about it. She also broke my vacuum, a pair of tongs, and she put one of my favorite frying pans in the dishwasher and ruined it. SMH.

On our last cruise, my sister came to stay with DD, and it was so much better. I cleaned, but I didn't need to MIL clean for my sister. YAY.

Well, I fly out this evening to Ft. Lauderdale for Liberty tomorrow.

Everything has been swept, washed, emptied, remade, put away and made arrangements for.

My packing is rolled and ready. All I have to do is leave work, put my dresses in the suitcase and zip it up. If I don't have it I don't need it.

Here's to a great vacation:D

I clean the toilets and change the sheets the morning we leave, even if they were just done a day prior. Everything else is the normal cleaning I do every day/week.

When I came home from my last cruise, my son's girlfriend had cleaned my whole house, it was spotless! (No, they hadn't had a party, fortunately they are past that point, and my neighbors would have told me if there were more than her car and his best friends car at the house while I was gone.) She's a keeper. :)

We had a problem. When we still had our very old cats, we could not make up our bed before we left on a cruise because that's where they liked to sleep at night.

Always had to tell out cat sitter to please not try to do something nice for us and make the bed.

Otherwise, we want to return to a clean house so leave it that way.

LuLu

~~~

Okay, I'll be the one to go against the grain here....

I used to try to clean my house before leaving for a major trip. But I was running myself ragged. (SNIP)

Now, if I have to come home to a less than sparkling house I can deal with it, because I was able to fully enjoy my vacation. My motto these days is: I can always change the sheets when I get home, but I can't always enjoy walking around Rome. So save the energy for what's important.

I am with cruisemom42. I clean some but my house is about as clean when I leave as any other day of the year. I live our house with 3 cats and 6 birds. If time permits, I change the sheets but beyond that it is 'the usual'. And being 'inland', we must fly. If I rise at 4 am to get the cheap flight that works, I am not about to worry then about the sheets. I tire myself on the cruise and then have that long flight home too. When we get home, we could sleep on straw. Clean sheets are nice but we will sleep anyway.

I usually clean everything before we leave for vacation, hate coming home to a dirty house! Do all the laundry, clean the bathroom and kitchen, clean sheets, vacuum, take out the trash, and don't forget the bills!

This time will be different and it is making me crazy! We just moved from Nebraska to Minnesota a week ago for my DH job promotion. It was very last minute we only had a 10 day notice to get here! Been living in a hotel with two dogs (50 pounds each) for over a week and will still be here for another week!

We finally found a place to rent that will allow the dogs but we can't move in until March 31, the movers will hopefully be bringing our stuff that afternoon. Then I have 1-2 days to get things unpacked...I hope...and clean everything up. Take the dogs to the kennel April 2 and then head up to Minneapolis that night after DH gets out of work to fly out April 3rd for the cruise on April 5th!

My house will probably be a mess and partially unpacked when we get back. I'm sure the dogs will not be happy with us after all the sudden changes.

But I can not wait for that first DOD and probably gonna need a massage! 5 DAYS!!!!!!!

Edited by horsegal

I usually clean everything before we leave for vacation, hate coming home to a dirty house! Do all the laundry, clean the bathroom and kitchen, clean sheets, vacuum, take out the trash, and don't forget the bills!

This time will be different and it is making me crazy! We just moved from Nebraska to Minnesota a week ago for my DH job promotion. It was very last minute we only had a 10 day notice to get here! Been living in a hotel with two dogs (50 pounds each) for over a week and will still be here for another week!

We finally found a place to rent that will allow the dogs but we can't move in until March 31, the movers will hopefully be bringing our stuff that afternoon. Then I have 1-2 days to get things unpacked...I hope...and clean everything up. Take the dogs to the kennel April 2 and then head up to Minneapolis that night after DH gets out of work to fly out April 3rd for the cruise on April 5th!

My house will probably be a mess and partially unpacked when we get back. I'm sure the dogs will not be happy with us after all the sudden changes.

But I can not wait for that first DOD and probably gonna need a massage! 5 DAYS!!!!!!!

We have had very quick promotion moves also. One of our last ones was DH got the promotion of a Thurs. He was gone on the next Monday, and I followed 2 weeks later. And that was between Thanksgiving and Christmas. You will definitely need a massage. Don't let the unpacking worries get in the way of your vacation. Have a great time.

I do some - 1.) dishes except a couple of glasses used for iced water to hydrate for the coming plane trip. 2.) Laundry except for the towels we used that morning.

Usually I'm running behind time due to being a last-minute packer and too busy trying to stuff everything but the kitchen sink in my bags!!! :eek:

You betcha! Especially since my mother in law will be checking in on our cats while we're gone! :eek:

Honestly though, I just don't want to come home to a messy house when we get back. I take the day off work before we fly to make sure the house is in order before we go.

And to get my nails done of course!