Chefs table--please explain

Luvsprincess

This should help:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/chefs_popup/

It costs $95, but is more on the Royal Princess.

Appetizers, champagne and a kitchen tour.

Followed by wine, courses of food, wine, intermezzo with vodka, food cooked tableside, wine, dessert, wine, then coffee and cookies.

Photos with the Executive Chef and a cookbook.

We liked it!

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Its a great experience. We have done it 5 times and still think its worth it.

I give away the cookbooks as gifts to friends. We have even had the captain join us in the galley for appetizers. Make sure you call the dine line when you get on board first thing.

If you are a foodie, or interested in the inner workings of the galley to some extent, its worth it.

It's a special menu, with impeccable presentation and personal attention by the exec chef, who will usually be happy to share some techniques (I still make risotto the way Chef Remo was happy to explain).

It IS Pricey, so you need some interest in the overall experience. If you want a great meal and a different kind of experience, an Ultimate Balcony dinner might be more economical)

Some photos here (last row on page 2 and all of page 3 are Chef's Table.)

Pineapple with Honey Roasted Pistachios

We've signed up twice, and were selected twice. The second time was canceled due to a noro scare. The point being, we liked it enough to try again, and will again.

I called the dine line as soon as we got into our cabin.

The chefs are bound by corporate menus for all regular dining but for the Chef's Table they are allowed to do anything thing they wish. The results are usually quite creative and tasty. You will not experience their special dishes in any of the regular onboard venues. I recall someone mentioning that for non wine drinkers they will discount the price but I have not confirmed this.

Our party of 4 was able to do this dinner on the second of two Chef's Dinners offered on our 14 night Hawaiian cruise. We didn't have any type of priory boarding, we just called as soon as we got to our room, after having lunch.

We had a really wonderful night - it was a fantastic meal and a great experience.

I hope you get a chance to do it - at least give it a shot.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Remember the chiefs table is real popular so be sure and call the DINE line when you first get on the ship to have your name on the list as it's limited to 10 people. As other people have mentioned you will get special food that you won't find anywhere on the ship. I did the chiefs dinner on the Grand in December and it was worth every penny plus there are drinks with every course. If you try it please post your experience.

Tom:cool:

We've done it 4 times and enjoyed every one of them. Just an added side-note on the info above, you can get a discount if you do not drink alcohol - $80 vice $95 I think. We do, and the selection (wine, Champaign, vodka’s, after-dinner liquors) is really good. But, don’t let it stop you from going if you don’t drink. Also, I believe the Chefs Table on the Royal is now about $140 per person – which is really getting a bit steep. Can anyone comment on the Royal price and quality of Chefs Table?

We paid $110 on the Royal back in November. The Royal also had what they called the Winemakers dinner which was I think $40. It was just as beautiful with special food, but no tour and no cookbook. Never the less we had 4 different wines from Mondavi.

Also on the Royal the chefs dinner is in one of the most beautiful dinning areas of the ship. You have a curtain made of glass beads surrounding you with a magnificent center piece. It's really special.

I've done the Chef's Table once before and I when I phoned in I was able to get 2 cabins into the selection pool. This cruise, there's 6 people in our group (3 cabins). Can I get all 3 cabins in with 1 call on the Dining Room line or with the Maitre D ? We would all like to go together.

You can request, but its up to the MD and EC if they want to give 6 slots to one group.

I've done the Chef's Table once before and I when I phoned in I was able to get 2 cabins into the selection pool. This cruise, there's 6 people in our group (3 cabins). Can I get all 3 cabins in with 1 call on the Dining Room line or with the Maitre D ? We would all like to go together.

We did one on our 35 day cruise. We do not drink, and another couple also did not drink. The price was $85, $10 off since we didn't drink. The other couple was Muslim and did not even want alcohol in their cooked food, so the chef did double cooking to do food with alcohol and food without, tweaking the recipe for the foods without.

It was a wonderful evening. Learning about how the galley works, how the food is prepared, was interesting. Meeting the butcher, the head pastry chef, the baker, the vegetable and ice carver, was cool. The service for the evening was impeccable.

You also get a cookbook and a photograph.

You have to try it at least once.

Linda

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but quick question-- is there an age limit? I'll be cruising (high school trip-- we home school so each kid gets their own trip with evil teacher aka Mom) with ds aged almost 16, and he's keen on doing Chef's Table because we've traveled a lot, and we eat a variety of ethnic cuisines at home. If it makes a difference-- we're doing an 11 night to Alaska from SF on the Star. His heart is sort of set on this-- so hopefully we can attempt to book.

Thanks.

Never did the Chef Table. But on Princess website I put it in the search. I saw a wonderful video of it on the Royal. Wow it is ellegant! Looks like you have to dress up formally to do it? How much is it on the Royal? Without alcohol?

What is the menu? Which nights do they offer it? Do you get to pick a night or do they choose for you? What if you celebrate a birthday?

Never did the Chef Table. But on Princess website I put it in the search. I saw a wonderful video of it on the Royal. Wow it is ellegant! Looks like you have to dress up formally to do it? How much is it on the Royal? Without alcohol?

What is the menu? Which nights do they offer it? Do you get to pick a night or do they choose for you? What if you celebrate a birthday?

I can't answer your question about pricing on the Royal as we did it several years ago. We're sailing again in June (not on Royal) and I plan to try and get us in again...it's that great!

The menu is chosen by the chef. They will have a meeting with all the participants in advance of the dinner (which is on a pre-determined date) with the maître 'd to go over the basics and ensure they've got the list of don'ts correct (i.e., shellfish allergies, religious taboos, etc.) and then they will provide the date and location of the dinner.