Grandeur Damaged?

That crack may be "cosmetic" as in the ship won't sink because of it, but it certainly is more than a minor little thing.

It's not really a major thing either as in the fact the ship is completely seaworthy and no one was injured or really impacted by the damaged area. As the Captain explained, deck 10 and above are made from aluminum, as opposed to steel like the rest of the ship. The reality is, the ship did what it was supposed to do and flexed. The problem is that the weld cracked and made the railing pop off. Nothing "collapsed" onto the deck. The ship is completely structurally sound from a seaworthiness standpoint. That really is a cosmetic issue. We had a great cruise, even with the 30 foot seas. We heard when that one wave hit as we were in our cabin (8560). I think everyone was aware that something had happened. There are reasons that no one is allowed out on the decks when weather is bad and this is one of them. We were not the least bit scared during the heavy seas, but I was feeling bad enough to skip dinner on Wed night. The storms this year have been stronger than the norm.

Just off the Grandeur

To clarify a few things:

- Definitely more than cosmetic damage - but nothing affecting the sailing capability

- No one was injured BUT there were people out on the deck who witnessed this. Not many due to the rough seas but I know of two folks who were sitting outside and saw the crack in deck 10 which then resulted in a bunch of broken lamp bulbs, cracked open an air pipe (which created a bunch of hissing til the air was shut off) and collapse of the ceiling panels under the area on deck 9.

- I happened to be sitting in the Centrum, deck 6 and the wave hit one side of the ship, behind me (my wife said high enough up to splash those deck 6 windows) . Everyone heard the bang and I saw the railing flying down past the windows of the Centrum. Basically the ship flexed but the beam on Deck 10 did not

- As noted, the Captain reported the ship is completely seaworthy as deck 10 and above were added on and are made from aluminum, as opposed to being part of the steel structure of the ship

- It wasn't a rogue wave but a higher than normal one in quite rough seas and high winds. Waves were averaging 30 ft per the Captain

- They expect to have a team assess the damage more today while docked in Baltimore and make repairs in May while in Bermuda. Should not impact any sailings except that area will be off limits

Edited by berryberry

Just off the Grandeur

To clarify a few things:

- Definitely more than cosmetic damage - but nothing affecting the sailing capability

- No one was injured BUT there were people out on the deck who witnessed this. Not many due to the rough seas but I know of two folks who were sitting outside and saw the crack in deck 10 which then resulted in a bunch of broken lamp bulbs, cracked open an air pipe (which created a bunch of hissing til the air was shut off) and collapse of the ceiling panels under the area on deck 9.

- I happened to be sitting in the Centrum, deck 6 and the wave hit one side of the ship, behind me (my wife said high enough up to splash those deck 6 windows) . Everyone heard the bang and I saw the railing flying down past the windows of the Centrum. Basically the ship flexed but Deck 10 did not

- As noted, the Captain reported the ship is completely seaworthy as deck 10 and above were added on and are made from aluminum, as opposed to being part of the steel structure of the ship

- It wasn't a rogue wave but a higher than normal one in quite rough seas and high winds

- They expect to have a team assess the damage more today while docked in Baltimore and make repairs in May while in Bermuda. Should not impact any sailings except that area will be off limits

Thanks for the update. :( about the timing of the repairs. Its a small thing, but I was looking forward to running up on deck. The Garmin data is so cool seeing circles in the middle of the ocean and moving with the ship. I have similar circles from Freedom & Jewel.

Just off the Grandeur

To clarify a few things:

- I happened to be sitting in the Centrum, deck 6 and the wave hit one side of the ship, behind me (my wife said high enough up to splash those deck 6 windows) . Everyone heard the bang and I saw the railing flying down past the windows of the Centrum. Basically the ship flexed but the beam on Deck 10 did not

- It wasn't a rogue wave but a higher than normal one in quite rough seas and high winds. Waves were averaging 30 ft per the Captain

Darn, I guess it won't be fixed by 5/2 then. I'm not a runner, but had still hoped to take a walk around the track with that nice ocean view. Thanks for the info. Glad to know there isn't serious damage and apparently no injuries with what happened.

Edited by fluffysue

Just off the Grandeur

To clarify a few things:

We were coming out of our cabin (8560) when we heard the bang at the same time the wave hit. DH is a retired US Navy Captain and he wasn't concerned, but he has been in heavier seas and wind on a much smaller ship (8000 tons) and has seen different types of damage (usually antennas, or other lose small objects). There were already broken lamp bulbs from the damage a couple of weeks ago that were covered with tape and now there's more. I know engineers were supposed to come onboard today to assess the damage. I wonder what they'll say. It's an experience I never want to have again. This was our 15th cruise and even going out of NJ and MD before, we've never had more than about 20 foot seas. This winter has been terrible. It's windy here now and I'm wondering how today's cruise will be impacted by this storm that's moving through this weekend. They could easily be in for a rocky ride the next 24 hours or so.

Edited by BND

Darn, I guess it won't be fixed by 5/2 then. I'm not a runner, but had still hoped to take a walk around the track with that nice ocean view. Thanks for the info. Glad to know there isn't serious damage and apparently no injuries with what happened.

The first Bermuda sailing is 4/26, so maybe it will be okay by your 5/2 sailing.

From the areas shown on that YouTube video, it looks like they have been patching holes with duct tape for awhile!

The first Bermuda sailing is 4/26, so maybe it will be okay by your 5/2 sailing.

From the areas shown on that YouTube video, it looks like they have been patching holes with duct tape for awhile!

Actually, the first split happened a couple of weeks ago during another big low pressure system.

Actually, the first split happened a couple of weeks ago during another big low pressure system.

Well, Grandeur is getting some age on her, I believe she is about 18 years old. Maybe RCCL should consider sending her down to Miami to make the easy float across to the Bahamas, and get her out of the rough north Atlantic weather? I'd love to see a Radiance class ship sail from Baltimore!

Edited by Mystaken

This makes a lot of sense. They are getting 48 hours in Bermuda on each of these cruises. It would take a bit to stage the materials (structural aluminum is not really off the shelf), and to get the TIG welding equipment staged. They can probably crop off the damage, and weld in the new deck and structure in one port stay, but getting the track surface installed would probably take another Bermuda stay. They could make a temporary surface to keep folks from tripping, so you may be able to walk up there.

My family is booked for the 5/2 sailing so I'm very interested in this. What exactly will be off limits? Thank you!

My family is booked for the 5/2 sailing so I'm very interested in this. What exactly will be off limits? Thank you!

Well, that is hard to say. A lot can change as they assess it more and perhaps do some temporary fix in the interim. I just know what the Captain noted yesterday which is it would not affect the ship from sailing but they would keep that area off limits. To me it sounded like just that section of deck 10 would be closed and most of deck 10 would be open. But again, things can change so I would see what cruisers on the cruise starting today report when they are back

Edited by berryberry

Be interesting to see it in person, we sail next week on the 5th, hope it's just a small area off limits and not a big area of the 2 decks.

Please come back and tell us?! I have B2B in May. Will be more of a problem with getting a chair at the pool until the damage is repaired.

Be interesting to see it in person, we sail next week on the 5th, hope it's just a small area off limits and not a big area of the 2 decks.

I agree if u can please post back a update if u dont mind when u return.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2- Please excuse any errors.

Hello SSVacation,

I am also sailing on the 5th, it will very interesting to see.

Wendy

Did anyone happen to get video of the wave action in the Windjammer during lunch on Wed or Thursday?(I forget which day it was) I was in there, but didn't have a camera. I do have a pic of the damage to Deck 10, but I would love to see some video of the Windjammer. What a ride!!

2014-03-27171309.jpg

2014-03-27171035.jpg

Just got off the Grandeur and here are a couple pictures of the "crack" that we experienced on our cruise. The second picture is through a dirtier window.

Cruise was great and the Captain said the crack was just cosmetic. Had a great time even with all the "rockin' and rollin'.

Beachnative is right. We spent a lot of time in the same venues and all was good. :D

Gwen :)

Ok... It may not affect seaworthiness, but that looks more than cosmetic. That's terrible. I hope they fix it right and not just do 'patch job' until it's next dry dock.

Did anyone happen to get video of the wave action in the Windjammer during lunch on Wed or Thursday?(I forget which day it was) I was in there, but didn't have a camera. I do have a pic of the damage to Deck 10, but I would love to see some video of the Windjammer. What a ride!!

I was in there too. I saw the wave coming, but couldn't get a video of it. It happened so fast. I didn't see anyone filming it. It was tough enough to stay in place. We were on in November and had some serious rocking and rolling and some were filming then. In that case the water came up over the front of the ship and onto the windows facing forward. Looked like we were in a car wash. This time was different and more violent. I just remember the looks on everyone's face. Wondering what would happen next. I know that had to have been the wave that did the damage, just by the loud cracking sound. If you find someone posted a video, come back and let us know.

Gwen :)

Ok... It may not affect seaworthiness, but that looks more than cosmetic. That's terrible. I hope they fix it right and not just do 'patch job' until it's next dry dock.

It's a weld point. They will re-weld it, but it really is cosmetic in terms of the structure of the ship itself. All it means is that portion of the deck isn't usable until it's repaired. Having been onboard during this cruise, the waves were wild on Wednesday, but it was never scary except hearing the bang from that one wave. After, when we heard and saw no real reaction, we just went to lunch in the MDR. Ships handle much worse, but can come away with costmetic issues such as what we saw as well as other objects coming lose, but none impact the safety of the ship. The outer decks were closed during this time so no one should have been out except for under it on deck 9 and if anyone was out during this weather, they were nuts. It was very windy and the pools were empty. Originally the hot tubs were open, but then closed.

So funny, originally I thought the big news would be the bees in St. Thomas. A swarm landed on the pool deck under a hot tub canopy. There were hundreds of them. One of the ships engineers put on coveralls, with a towel wrapped around his neck and goggles/mask ok and vacuumed them into a shop vac where there was obviously some kind of pesticide. After letting the vacuum sit next to the hot tub for about 10 minutes, they removed the bag inside it and left. Only about 4-5 bees were left flying around looking for their swarm. Multiple people took photos and I'm surprised they haven't been posted. We were sitting about 15 feet from the hot tub at the time, but I didn't have my camera with me.

Edited by BND

This is a compression fracture. The front of the ship was slowed by slamming into the wave, while the stern kept driving from the propellers. This caused the bow and stern to flex upwards, causing the upper decks to flex in compression. The weakest point let go. Can't say for the Grandeur, but sometimes these upper decks will have designed gaps in them to allow for some of this flexing back and forth.

Oh boy.

My next door neighbor and new-ish beau are going on their first cruise ever on the Grandeur the middle of April. To call her a skiddish traveler would be kind.....she was still freaked out about the fire.

Hubby and I are such happy cruisers. We want them to have fun. They are so cute together and she deserves this really nice guy finally!

I want them to have a magical time. We cruise lovers have had those cruises that were so special. Keep your fingers crossed for Bob and Margaret!