Grandeur Damaged?

Just off the Grandeur

To clarify a few things:

- Definitely more than cosmetic damage - but nothing affecting the sailing capability

- No one was injured BUT there were people out on the deck who witnessed this. Not many due to the rough seas but I know of two folks who were sitting outside and saw the crack in deck 10 which then resulted in a bunch of broken lamp bulbs, cracked open an air pipe (which created a bunch of hissing til the air was shut off) and collapse of the ceiling panels under the area on deck 9.

- I happened to be sitting in the Centrum, deck 6 and the wave hit one side of the ship, behind me (my wife said high enough up to splash those deck 6 windows) . Everyone heard the bang and I saw the railing flying down past the windows of the Centrum. Basically the ship flexed but the beam on Deck 10 did not

- As noted, the Captain reported the ship is completely seaworthy as deck 10 and above were added on and are made from aluminum, as opposed to being part of the steel structure of the ship

- It wasn't a rogue wave but a higher than normal one in quite rough seas and high winds. Waves were averaging 30 ft per the Captain

- They expect to have a team assess the damage more today while docked in Baltimore and make repairs in May while in Bermuda. Should not impact any sailings except that area will be off limits

I am glad no one was hurt.

I'm speculating that the people outside were smokers seeing as they have cut back on smoking areas. If they were they were probably lucky that they were not out on their balconies smoking when the wave hit. Things like this always scare me because whilst they can monitor open decks, it is very hard to monitor people that chose to go out onto balconies for a quick picture or something.

I have had a few rough sailings, the worst hit really quick in sunny conditions and people were in the pool including children. The water started swishing side to side in the pool throwing those in it against the sides. The kids thought it was great at first until they realized they were in trouble and even the adults were struggling to get to the sides to haul themselves out. People literally had to lie at the edges of the pools and grab people as they got swept back over to them. The water was going everywhere, so it wasn't safe to stand at the edges. We have always been lucky no major damage.

I hope the grandeur gets fixed soon so all those with upcoming sailings can enjoy her fully

... they were probably lucky that they were not out on their balconies smoking when the wave hit. Things like this always scare me because whilst they can monitor open decks, it is very hard to monitor people that chose to go out onto balconies for a quick picture or something.

Interesting. I've only been on a couple of cruises where they closed the outer decks, but I don't recall ever hearing an announcement to stay off the balconies... is this common? Have others heard this as well? Just curious.

Theron

I'm speculating that the people outside were smokers seeing as they have cut back on smoking areas. If they were they were probably lucky that they were not out on their balconies smoking when the wave hit. Things like this always scare me because whilst they can monitor open decks, it is very hard to monitor people that chose to go out onto balconies for a quick picture or something.

I hope the grandeur gets fixed soon so all those with upcoming sailings can enjoy her fully

There's been an awful lot of speculation on this thread that had no credence and smoking is not permitted on balconies.;):) As rough as it was, people wood be foolish to go out on the balconies.

Edited by iheartbda

I see that ... Just asked again. Let's see if they delete it. I can imagine they would delete these too if they had the capability. They don't need any more bad press right now.

I must have missed some news. There are references to "bad times" for Royal, etc. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks.

Kathy

We are on the Grandeur NOW and waiting for our second half of our B2B to begin.

I just read all the speculation in this thread...interesting speculation.

Yes, we had rough seas.

Yes, we had some waves larger than others.

Yes, there is some damage to deck 10.

Yes, that is the canvas ceiling cover.

NO, that is NOT seaweed.

We spent that day both before and after the damage sitting in the Concierge Lounge, dining room, Diamond Lounge, etc. watching the beautiful rough sea. It was pretty much a normal rough day at sea for all of us both before and AFTER the OP's post's photo was taken.

We are expecting to sail on time this afternoon.

Thanks. Too bad we can't move this post to #2.

Kathy

I must have missed some news. There are references to "bad times" for Royal, etc. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks.

Kathy

They are probably referring to the half-cancelled Navigator and Adventure cruises.

Allure's recent pod trouble and Grandeur's fire probably factor in too. And though not as widely known, Allure's computer issues causing 3 and 4 hour port departure delays the first week after its pod repairs were a bit of an issue also.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Why ANYONE in their right mind would sail on a cruise out of the Northeast in WINTER is beside me .. that's just totally idiotic.
Funny because I think it's totally idiotic not to sail out of the northeast in the winter. The prices are fantastic and after 18 sailings out of the northeast have hit a total of one cruise with bad weather.....:rolleyes: Edited by Thetrail

Thanks.

Kathy

Have heard absolutely zero references regarding "bad times" for RCL, what "references " are you referring too?....:rolleyes:

Why ANYONE in their right mind would sail on a cruise out of the Northeast in WINTER is beside me .. that's just totally idiotic.

I find this post extremely funny! Baltimore is not in the Northeast, it's in the MidAtlantic. The cruise that was affected was in Spring, not Winter. Idiotic??? NorEasters blow up the east coast all year long, not just in the winter.

Have heard absolutely zero references regarding "bad times" for RCL, what "references " are you referring too?....:rolleyes:

I wrote this without the luxury of having all the references in front of me, so no doubt I used the wrong terminology. However, if you will go back, you'll see what I mean. Not worth my going back to quote them all for you, but others apparently understood my meaning and my question (and my thanks to those who responded with information).

Kathy

Edited by petesweet

The P&O Cruises ship Ventura had a similar fracture a few months before its dry dock last year. However the aluminium deck was not pushed up in any way like on Grandeur, just a few inches apart. They just covered it up and bolted some plates on to stop the two sides spreading so much. They then properly repaired it in the refit.

This won't be the case with Grandeur considering how much the deck is warped. I would imagine they will fix this during service. Cut out any deformed sections and weld new bits in, then get Bolidt in to put new deck surface down.

Balconies were fine. Deck 10 was closed. Deck 9 was not until the damage happened. The wave hit the front of the ship which is why the flexing caused the weld to crack. It actually wasn't terrible out on the balconies if you wanted to sit out there. Waves were not coming up on the balconies. There was spray of course which happens all the time, but the waves were breaking over the bow of the ship. No one was hurt and since the waves were coming bow on, there was no damage in the shops and no massive loss of dishes, etc. People are looking at the photos and immediately going way overboard in what actually occurred. As I've previously said, we were not scared and I didn't talk to anyone that was. Nauseous, yes, scared, no.

Rough weather is certainly no rare occasion. In 2006, I was on Grandeur, sailing from Baltimore toward our first scheduled port of call, Miami.

The entire eastern third of the United States was sandwiched between a massive high pressure system to the south, and low pressure system to the north, which provided constant, strong northerly winds, extending well off the coast.

Our course took is directly into those winds, and our speed was reduced to as little as 4 knots at times. We were delayed to the point that we passed by Miami just as we would have been scheduled to leave, had we been on time that morning.

Late morning of the first full day at sea, we hit one of these "much larger than the rest" kind of waves. Damage around the ship was widespread, although no broken decks like here. The Windjammer was closed and the kitchen spaces secured due to flying objects. The liquor store suffered massive damage from the bottles falling all over the place. Several areas of tile floor in the Solarium popped up and had to be re-glued into place.

Many of the crew were seasick. Musical groups around the ship were mix-and-match as the less-affected musicians volunteered to fill in for their counterparts who were too ill to perform. Several well-experienced crew members told us that they had never seen such rough weather. Several months later, on another cruise, another ship, from another port, I happened to be chatting with a line officer (a RC HR manager, not a ship officer) who had been on Grandeur for that sailing. He told me several facts that we never knew at the time, such as when we finally did arrive at our first port of call (Key West), 500 passengers packed, got off the ship and flew home!

I did manage to get a few pictures from that day at sea. No video though.

Grandeur rough weather 10/28/2006

A very adventurous ride for those not prone to seasickness, but yes, quite miserable for those who are.

Theron

That's what the seas looked like on Wed, except I didn't hear of any breakage in the shops. The seas were very mixed with rollers coming into the bow (not directly, but more from the nw). It's more common than people want to believe. And, I'd rather sail in those seas than through a hurricane. The slowest speed I saw on the tv was around 10 knots. You can always tell the seas are improving when the speeds start to increase.

Edited by BND

Balconies were fine. Deck 10 was closed. Deck 9 was not until the damage happened. The wave hit the front of the ship which is why the flexing caused the weld to crack. It actually wasn't terrible out on the balconies if you wanted to sit out there. Waves were not coming up on the balconies. There was spray of course which happens all the time, but the waves were breaking over the bow of the ship. No one was hurt and since the waves were coming bow on, there was no damage in the shops and no massive loss of dishes, etc. People are looking at the photos and immediately going way overboard in what actually occurred. As I've previously said, we were not scared and I didn't talk to anyone that was. Nauseous, yes, scared, no.

Looks like you got on the Grandeur the day we got off. We were on 3/8 until the 18th. We came back to the snowstorm. The cruise before us hit 30 to 40 foot waves and came back a few hours late due to the rough seas. I can't imagine waves that high, I was a little sea sick and we didn't have it that bad. Our waiter in the dining room had shown us video of the huge waves hitting over the front of the ship. He took the video while he was in the Windjammer. Hope you had a great cruise. Glad nobody was hurt. We really enjoyed ourselves and I hope to go on Grandeur again someday. We had an Aft Jr. Suite 7656 and it was pretty awesome.

Looks like you got on the Grandeur the day we got off. We were on 3/8 until the 18th. We came back to the snowstorm. The cruise before us hit 30 to 40 foot waves and came back a few hours late due to the rough seas. I can't imagine waves that high, I was a little sea sick and we didn't have it that bad. Our waiter in the dining room had shown us video of the huge waves hitting over the front of the ship. He took the video while he was in the Windjammer. Hope you had a great cruise. Glad nobody was hurt. We really enjoyed ourselves and I hope to go on Grandeur again someday. We had an Aft Jr. Suite 7656 and it was pretty awesome.

We were on that one.:eek: It was an adventure but thankfully, neither one of us got sick. The waves were the highest I've ever encountered. We've had a few rough rides when a hurricane was either chasing us or we were chasing one on Bermuda cruises but those didn't compare. Also, the rough seas continued for a much longer time.

Originally, the captain said we were going to be 4-5 hours late getting back. He was very good about updating us and we managed to make some time so we were only two hours late. Guest Services was very helpful, they gave me a complimentary call home to our pick up person.:)

Late morning of the first full day at sea, we hit one of these "much larger than the rest" kind of waves. Damage around the ship was widespread, although no broken decks like here. The Windjammer was closed and the kitchen spaces secured due to flying objects. The liquor store suffered massive damage from the bottles falling all over the place. Several areas of tile floor in the Solarium popped up and had to be re-glued into place.

Many of the crew were seasick. Musical groups around the ship were mix-and-match as the less-affected musicians volunteered to fill in for their counterparts who were too ill to perform. Several well-experienced crew members told us that they had never seen such rough weather. Several months later, on another cruise, another ship, from another port, I happened to be chatting with a line officer (a RC HR manager, not a ship officer) who had been on Grandeur for that sailing. He told me several facts that we never knew at the time, such as when we finally did arrive at our first port of call (Key West), 500 passengers packed, got off the ship and flew home!

I did manage to get a few pictures from that day at sea. No video though.

Grandeur rough weather 10/28/2006

A very adventurous ride for those not prone to seasickness, but yes, quite miserable for those who are.

Theron

For SURE. Wonder if any gave up on cruising?

Your stills look very familiar and I have a short video but don't know how to get it here from my phone.:o

Yeah, that's so correct LOL. It says the "top deck collapsed" Not even close. And, it wasn't a "rogue wave" either. And seas actually were 30 feet, but let's not let a few facts get in the way of a good story. If 20 foot waves were so dangerous, then we'd have been in danger on a lot of the cruises we've been on. Obviously, the woman didn't really pay attention or acb27 embellished some parts. It also happened on Wednesday, not Tuesday. Those of us that were onboard have reported what actually happened.

It doesn't say that it was a 20 foot wave that hit...it states that the captain stated the average waves they were encountering were 20 ft.

The site is pretty decent and it a good place to go and see what's going on in the cruise world. It may not be exactly right like most news sources but it keeps you in the loop of things.

Edited by Midwestgal

It doesn't say that it was a 20 foot wave that hit...it states that the captain stated the average waves they were encountering were 20 ft.

The site is pretty decent and it a good place to go and see what's going on in the cruise world. It may not be exactly right like most news sources but it keeps you in the loop of things.

And therein lies a big problem. News sources, and Cruise Junkie in particular, like to go after the sensational, in this case, rogue wave, deck collapsed.

You posted about that site AFTER other passengers, who were on the same sailing, gave more details of what actually happened.

And therein lies a big problem. News sources, and Cruise Junkie in particular, like to go after the sensational, in this case, rogue wave, deck collapsed.

You posted about that site AFTER other passengers, who were on the same sailing, gave more details of what actually happened.

I'll admit I didn't read ever page here. My point of my post was that it was just a starting point of general ship issues and then you can take it from there.

I'll admit I didn't read ever page here. My point of my post was that it was just a starting point of general ship issues and then you can take it from there.

IMHO, Cruise Junkie, who has an agenda of battling cruise lines, is about one step up from Jim Walker's Cruise Law News, and the tinfoil hat guy who claims there is a conspiracy about the Concordia because there are no underwater photos published. They're all good for my morning chuckle over coffee. Yes, you can find out when something happens from them, but discount 90% of what is "claimed".

Curious to hear from those on the current trip how much (if any) of deck 10 is closed. I watched as Grandeur pulled into PC yesterday on the Port-Cam and it sure looked as though there were people on quite a bit of deck 10, including a few runners.