Grandeur Damaged?

It's a weld point. They will re-weld it, but it really is cosmetic in terms of the structure of the ship itself. All it means is that portion of the deck isn't usable until it's repaired. Having been onboard during this cruise, the waves were wild on Wednesday, but it was never scary except hearing the bang from that one wave. After, when we heard and saw no real reaction, we just went to lunch in the MDR. Ships handle much worse, but can come away with costmetic issues such as what we saw as well as other objects coming lose, but none impact the safety of the ship. The outer decks were closed during this time so no one should have been out except for under it on deck 9 and if anyone was out during this weather, they were nuts. It was very windy and the pools were empty. Originally the hot tubs were open, but then closed.

So funny, originally I thought the big news would be the bees in St. Thomas. A swarm landed on the pool deck under a hot tub canopy. There were hundreds of them. One of the ships engineers put on coveralls, with a towel wrapped around his neck and goggles/mask ok and vacuumed them into a shop vac where there was obviously some kind of pesticide. After letting the vacuum sit next to the hot tub for about 10 minutes, they removed the bag inside it and left. Only about 4-5 bees were left flying around looking for their swarm. Multiple people took photos and I'm surprised they haven't been posted. We were sitting about 15 feet from the hot tub at the time, but I didn't have my camera with me.

Hi Diane....I didn't hear a word about the bees. :eek: Of course, I don't spend any time on the pool deck, except walking from the Concierge Lounge to the Windjammer or the other way around. I guess you can't see it all.

Gwen :)

This is a compression fracture. The front of the ship was slowed by slamming into the wave, while the stern kept driving from the propellers. This caused the bow and stern to flex upwards, causing the upper decks to flex in compression. The weakest point let go. Can't say for the Grandeur, but sometimes these upper decks will have designed gaps in them to allow for some of this flexing back and forth.

You always explain things so well. Thanks for that perspective of what happened. Now when I try to explain what happened to my friends, I can act like I know what I'm talking about.:p I will give you the credit though.;)

You always explain things so well. Thanks for that perspective of what happened. Now when I try to explain what happened to my friends, I can act like I know what I'm talking about.:p I will give you the credit though.;)

Glad to help. The compression of the ship is also why the canvas overhead covering came down this week. The ship compresses and the hooks that hold the canvas move closer together, and it just pops off the hooks.

A tanker I work on hit a large wave (not a rogue, but what we call the "100th" wave, which is usually greater than the preceding 99), that caused the entire ceiling of the bridge to come down. Middle of the night, we're in moderate traffic, and we've got light fixtures hanging by wires, etc. Couple of hours to clean up the mess.

Hi Diane....I didn't hear a word about the bees. :eek: Of course, I don't spend any time on the pool deck, except walking from the Concierge Lounge to the Windjammer or the other way around. I guess you can't see it all.

Hi Gwen. The bees were there around 3 or so and it was only about 1/2 hour so a lot of people missed them. A woman who is allergic was in the hottub when they arrived and boy did she move fast. She was a bit panicked. But, the bees never bothered anyone fortunately. We wanted shade which is why we were out there as the Solarium was always busy. I hate they removed some of the loungers and put in tables for the Park Cafe. Of course, now the tables are all in the shade and loungers are almost all in the sun.

Been following all the reports about the wave and the damage. Either I missed it or it was not specifically mentioned. What time did the wave hit and was it on Wednesday or Thursday?

Very interesting explanations of what caused the problem.;) Thanx!

Been following all the reports about the wave and the damage. Either I missed it or it was not specifically mentioned. What time did the wave hit and was it on Wednesday or Thursday?

Very interesting explanations of what caused the problem.;) Thanx!

It hit, or rather, we hit it around noon or a little after on Wednesday. It wasn't a rogue wave, just bigger than the rest. I saw it coming, but didn't realize how hard we would hit it. It was 2 hard hits within seconds of each other. A little scary at first.

Rough weather is certainly no rare occasion. In 2006, I was on Grandeur, sailing from Baltimore toward our first scheduled port of call, Miami.

The entire eastern third of the United States was sandwiched between a massive high pressure system to the south, and low pressure system to the north, which provided constant, strong northerly winds, extending well off the coast.

Our course took is directly into those winds, and our speed was reduced to as little as 4 knots at times. We were delayed to the point that we passed by Miami just as we would have been scheduled to leave, had we been on time that morning.

Late morning of the first full day at sea, we hit one of these "much larger than the rest" kind of waves. Damage around the ship was widespread, although no broken decks like here. The Windjammer was closed and the kitchen spaces secured due to flying objects. The liquor store suffered massive damage from the bottles falling all over the place. Several areas of tile floor in the Solarium popped up and had to be re-glued into place.

Many of the crew were seasick. Musical groups around the ship were mix-and-match as the less-affected musicians volunteered to fill in for their counterparts who were too ill to perform. Several well-experienced crew members told us that they had never seen such rough weather. Several months later, on another cruise, another ship, from another port, I happened to be chatting with a line officer (a RC HR manager, not a ship officer) who had been on Grandeur for that sailing. He told me several facts that we never knew at the time, such as when we finally did arrive at our first port of call (Key West), 500 passengers packed, got off the ship and flew home!

I did manage to get a few pictures from that day at sea. No video though.

Grandeur rough weather 10/28/2006

A very adventurous ride for those not prone to seasickness, but yes, quite miserable for those who are.

Theron

People are speculating that the dark area by the windows below the walking deck (10) is a collapse of the covering on the top of Deck 9. You can also see missing portions of the wood railing both on the inside and outside railings on deck 10.
Just returned from this sailing and the wood you are referring to is not the wood railing on the inside and outside of deck 10. It is in fact the canvas covering above deck 9 with wood that is also part of the canvas covering on deck 9....:)

Just returned from this sailing and the wood you are referring to is not the wood railing on the inside and outside of deck 10. It is in fact the canvas covering above deck 9 with wood that is also part of the canvas covering on deck 9....:)

Some of the handrails on the inside and outside of deck 10 are also missing, along with some of the lights. Look at the pictures I posted. Unless you are talking about some other missing wood.

Looking at the photo a little closer, it looks like there is a bunch of Sargassum Seaweed on the deck to the left of the hot tub. As the Grandeur is at the northern portion of the Sargasso Sea, it does lend credence to the rogue wave theory.

attachment.php?attachmentid=307329&d=1395859786

Just plain old H2O...:)

When I was on Allure a few weeks ago there was one time on the pool deck when some of that canvas was taken down because they were doing some work on the structure that it covers. Maybe this was not damage at all but some maintenance being done.
Was on the sailing, and the maintenance crew actually had the canvas back up the next day and was repairing the wood also.

I think that what people are saying that is cracked is the Bolidt rubber decking that is used for running tracks and promenade decks on many ships, or the teak decking. I would be very surprised if the steel deck underneath was split.
The deck is actually not "part" of the ships structure per say when talking about engineering. Any other deck would have been an issue "structurally". It is a composite steel used for the running track, and it is indeed cracked across the entire length of the running track.......K.O.:)

The deck is actually not "part" of the ships structure per say when talking about engineering. Any other deck would have been an issue "structurally". It is a composite steel used for the running track, and it is indeed cracked across the entire length of the running track.......K.O.:)

It's aluminum.

It's not really a major thing either as in the fact the ship is completely seaworthy and no one was injured or really impacted by the damaged area. As the Captain explained, deck 10 and above are made from aluminum, as opposed to steel like the rest of the ship. The reality is, the ship did what it was supposed to do and flexed. The problem is that the weld cracked and made the railing pop off. Nothing "collapsed" onto the deck. The ship is completely structurally sound from a seaworthiness standpoint. That really is a cosmetic issue. We had a great cruise, even with the 30 foot seas. We heard when that one wave hit as we were in our cabin (8560). I think everyone was aware that something had happened. There are reasons that no one is allowed out on the decks when weather is bad and this is one of them. We were not the least bit scared during the heavy seas, but I was feeling bad enough to skip dinner on Wed night. The storms this year have been stronger than the norm.
Was in cabin 8532 and great post as was Beach Native's. I on the other hand ate to excess for dinner Wed.nite....K.O.:)

Was on the sailing, and the maintenance crew actually had the canvas back up the next day and was repairing the wood also.

Fine. But I did make that comment much earlier in the thread before much in the way of facts were being posted and looking at one very small poor quality picutre.

The Grandeur is still 688 nautical miles out from Baltimore. That monster storm off the east coast may have a had some influence in creating that wave.

Eric

Why ANYONE in their right mind would sail on a cruise out of the Northeast in WINTER is beside me .. that's just totally idiotic.

Supposed to leave on Grandeur Friday for my first ever cruise. Gotta admit this has me a little more freaked out than I already was...

you should be ... that ship really does seem cursed ! I hate to think of whats next.

Why ANYONE in their right mind would sail on a cruise out of the Northeast in WINTER is beside me .. that's just totally idiotic.

It has been SPRING since March 21st. :D:):D Not that it changes the WEATHER. ;)

Rough weather is certainly no rare occasion. In 2006, I was on Grandeur, sailing from Baltimore toward our first scheduled port of call, Miami.

The entire eastern third of the United States was sandwiched between a massive high pressure system to the south, and low pressure system to the north, which provided constant, strong northerly winds, extending well off the coast.

Our course took is directly into those winds, and our speed was reduced to as little as 4 knots at times. We were delayed to the point that we passed by Miami just as we would have been scheduled to leave, had we been on time that morning.

Late morning of the first full day at sea, we hit one of these "much larger than the rest" kind of waves. Damage around the ship was widespread, although no broken decks like here. The Windjammer was closed and the kitchen spaces secured due to flying objects. The liquor store suffered massive damage from the bottles falling all over the place. Several areas of tile floor in the Solarium popped up and had to be re-glued into place.

Many of the crew were seasick. Musical groups around the ship were mix-and-match as the less-affected musicians volunteered to fill in for their counterparts who were too ill to perform. Several well-experienced crew members told us that they had never seen such rough weather. Several months later, on another cruise, another ship, from another port, I happened to be chatting with a line officer (a RC HR manager, not a ship officer) who had been on Grandeur for that sailing. He told me several facts that we never knew at the time, such as when we finally did arrive at our first port of call (Key West), 500 passengers packed, got off the ship and flew home!

I did manage to get a few pictures from that day at sea. No video though.

Grandeur rough weather 10/28/2006

A very adventurous ride for those not prone to seasickness, but yes, quite miserable for those who are.

Theron

GREAT PICTURES! Those high seas are vey hard to capture, you did a great job. Thanks for sharing.

This is a compression fracture. The front of the ship was slowed by slamming into the wave, while the stern kept driving from the propellers. This caused the bow and stern to flex upwards, causing the upper decks to flex in compression. The weakest point let go. Can't say for the Grandeur, but sometimes these upper decks will have designed gaps in them to allow for some of this flexing back and forth.

I have noticed expansion joints on top two decks of all vision class in these same areas so agree with you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums