Royal Caribbean...the "new" NCL

tx121

Does anyone if all folks are going to have to pay the gratuities at final payment?:rolleyes:

I believe so. I have read that here on a couple of threads. Just like they do now if you pick MTD

I foresee that at some point in the future all gratuities will need to be pre-paid (that's just my guess:))

Love the Dynamic Dining idea. This is no different than using OPENTABLE at home to make a reservation on land.

RCCL is giving you the availability to make reservations at home, on the ship on the first day, or play it by ear. If you are worried about waiting, make a reservation..you can always cancel. Don't want to be strapped to a time? Then fly by the seat of your pants, but I would think it is much like walking into a busy restaurant on a Saturday night without reservation. It's your choice. Don't want to pay an upcharge? You don't have to.

Want meet new people? I can count 500 different ways to do so without it being over dinner.

I know there are so many "classic" cruisers out there, but the model is changing big time for land and sea based vacations. People want more options, more entertainment, and more innovation. If this was not the case, you would see more "Majesty of the Seas" sailing all over.

Want more proof of this? It all started a few years back when Allure and Oasis sailed full each week and continues today. :)

Ok, my "two cents." I love the idea, but wonder about execution. I also wonder about "dress code." Looks like all restaurants are either formal or smart casual. In the old days formal was tux or suit, smart casual was jacket and tie. It seems that today formal is jacket and tie and smart casual is shirt and slacks. Basically smart casual is what casual dining used to be. Is this actually the new dress code? If not, do we wear jacket or better every night? I doubt it (and hope not).

But on a plus, those who want formal will now have it, those who don't won't. Will they enforce the dress code?

I like the idea of the new cuisines, but find them a bit "lofty." Can they actually "carry them out?" Or will the actual food still be "banquet level."

If you consider a 7 night cruise that had 2 formal nights, the complimentary dining will just about cover it, except for a couple "repeats." Seems the Amercan Icon is the new MDR. will its menu vary at all for those who don't want formal or up charge dining?

I'm booked in Feb. 2015. I'm excited and looking forward to it. I like formal, etc. I love Beef Wellington. I think the menus look fantastic. If they can pull it off, seems the food will rival the ultra luxury cruise lines. Guess we'll see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One comment from massspector below suggests that there are 18 "free" restaurant...............actually there are only 5 and one of those is the Windjammer buffet.

One thing that RCI does that is very different than NCL is to "encourage" you to get reservations for dinner and the mechanics for this on the Quantum are mentioned only briefly in the article. The blurbs I read suggested that it would be best to get your reservations when you get your Set Sail pass (or whatever it is called on RCI vs. Celebrity).

One comment below pretty well sums up my opinion of that suggestion that it is not optimal to have to make decisions when and where you want to eat a few months before the meal......most of us don't do that at home so then to do it on a "relaxing" cruise??? Doesn't sound good.

I presume you will be able to show up and wait in line like RCI does on their other ship any time dining options; I found that if you try to get reservations on the current ships "My TIme Dining" is more like whatever time they feel like giving you rather than what you would really like to get as a reservation..................so we wait in the line for folks without reservations and usually not too bad.

It will be very interesting to see how this works out but the logistics even for the 5 free restaurants should be very challenging and the pay restaurants will likely fill up and not be available until either very early or more likely for late seatings..................we'll see when the Anthem sails from FL..............had our fill of Bayonne and that "cruise port" warehouse and expensive parking so Quantum will likely not be an option for us................wonder if they will still use buses at Bayonne or will get the boarding process more efficient?

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

CHOICES!!!! Why is everyone saying RCCL is going to be NCL. Looks like just the opposite. Carnival creates cookie cutter ships, with the same theme. NCL has one choice for everything. Look at RCCL. They have multiple classes of ships, each unique experience. You can go on 4 cruises and have a new experience. Each class is different, and each class will offer a new experience. What better way to keep customers coming back. If you only like small ships that is fine. You have that choice. If you want an active playground, go on Oasis class. Someplace inbetween, plenty of options. Now we have a class that is taking a culinary experience to a new level. WOW.

Has RCI posted the actual menus for the restaurants yet as some suggest?..........I only see the pictures for one item from each restaurant on the RCI website and email they sent me.

Also, the deck plans they have seem to be a significant work in progress.

Excellent points from Havingfun2010: Each ship has its good and better points, we liked Oasis and Allure but have concluded that the huge megaship concept is not really our cup of tea.............can't wait to try the Anthem and will go with an open mind...........like the idea of choosing formal vs. smart casual

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Has RCI posted the actual menus for the restaurants yet as some suggest?..........I only see the pictures for one item from each restaurant on the RCI website and email they sent me.

Also, the deck plans they have seem to be a significant work in progress.

On the page where it lists the restaurants, click on the restaurant, and on the modal that comes up click the Visit Restaurant button.

It'll take you to a page dedicated to the individual restaurant, including the menu.

I am in the "not sure where I sit" on this camp.

I like the idea of trying different restaurants throughout the Cruise, however the MDR Menu is normally pretty reasonable, with varied choices. My biggest issue in the MDR is table size - I do not ever again wish to eat alongside a windbag for 7 nights! Table for 4 or Windjammer we go.

However employing Jamie Oliver as a Celeb Chef baffles me - he is a Burger flipper at best. I would far rather see his massive wage cheque spent on training and improving RCI's own Chef's to a better standard than being wasted on this Doughboy's efforts.

We've enjoyed the MDR experience in years past, but we have found that especially on the large ships like Oasis that table mates at assigned seating are not consistently present because of all the other dining options. We too like to have a special dinner in Chops or Giovanni's, and feel that those who are at our table in the MDR are annoyed at our absence. On one shorter cruise we skipped dinner because we had a very late lunch and one night dined in the WJ. We were given a very cold shoulder from most of the table mates when we did come back to the MDR the following nights. In resent years we have found ourselves less than thrilled with the assigned table mates, not that they were offensive ( except for the non US citizens who felt that dinner was the time to tell everyone what was wrong with the US and who THEY wanted to win the presidential election..sigh.) but we had nothing at all in common and they were almost stilted in conversation. We have really enjoyed talking with most of the people we have met in the MDR for breakfast, or in DH's case sitting on a bench in port waiting for me to finish shopping :D. In fact, last cruise while in Cozumel, I noticed him chatting ( do men chat?) with another guy and I just kept shopping because he seemed to be enjoying his conversation so much.

Just saying that we are trying MTD on our next vacations, and hope that it improves the experience. I don't like dreading dinner because of the company. I think that RCI is probably noticing a change in passenger preferences and addressing the trend.

Been on 11 cruises. Not even once have I eaten "traditional" dining in the main dining room. It does not appeal to me in the least. So this is welcome news. I do not want to be told when and where to eat while on vacation.

And I am an RCCL loyal now.

I've NEVER been on NCL, and I'm thrilled with the announcement. Our last cruise we ate in the MDR exactly 1 time, and that was only because we were part of a big group and felt we should be with them the first night. A couple of prior cruises we didn't eat in the MDR at all.

Not to mention all the threads in which people ask about getting a table for two because they don't want to have to sit with strangers. And the threads complaining about how they don't want to have to pay extra to go somewhere other than the MDR. Or the threads complaining that they HAD to choose early or late seating because the anytime dining option was full when they booked their cruise.

Things change, and people seem less willing to follow rigid rules and schedules on vacation. I suspect this is the way of the future when it comes to dining on board, and in time you'll see the concept expanded to other ships and other cruise lines.

Amen! I dont understand all the complaining myself. Heres an idea, avoid the "amusement park at sea" that is the Quantum class and they will be ok. For now anyway.

Of course I came around here just as Oasis was breaking news and seems like different complaints about those ships flooded the boards. What Ive noticed is those that said they would never ever ever sail on an Oasis class ship finally gave in and now consider it their favorite :o

The same thing will happen with the Quantum class I bet and most will adapt to this new concept and embrace it. Some people just arent good with change but its inevitable. Mass market cruise lines are moving away from traditional whether people like it or not.

JMHO

Edited by ryano

I've NEVER been on NCL, and I'm thrilled with the announcement. Our last cruise we ate in the MDR exactly 1 time, and that was only because we were part of a big group and felt we should be with them the first night. A couple of prior cruises we didn't eat in the MDR at all.

Of course I'm not surprised that you are thrilled - you don't like the current MDR concept, and that is fine. Most of the posts on this thread that are positive to Quantum dining are similar to yours. I wonder is the reaction of "traditional" RC loyalists to the new concept.

One of the things I hate about land vacations is the time our family group wastes trying to decide where to eat, a problem that is eliminated with the MDR.

Even though I always request a table for two, there's something really nice about being able to walk in and go directly to your same table each night. No waiting in line, no having to be shown to your table, no having to explain your preferences to your waiter each night. Your table becomes as much your "home" as your stateroom, and it's one of the great things that sets a cruise apart from a land vacation. If I wanted to go to a restaurant (and they stress in the video that these are main restaurants, NOT main dining rooms) I could do that at home.

The MDR also has a variety of choices each night, so depending on your mood you could get American comfort food, Asian food, fancy banquet dishes, Italian food, etc. Better yet, each member of your party could get a different dish, so I could order crepes and ceviche, the person to my right could order a burger or pasta with red sauce, and the person to my left could order a curry dish. That sounds a whole lot more "dynamic" than everyone in your party having to agree months in advance to all eat Asian food or comfort food on a particular night.

And for the record, I'm not a traditionalist, I'm relatively young compared with most cruisers, and I hadn't been on a cruise before 2013 (although I loved that first one so much that I took a second one a couple of months later).

Edited by ahecht

One comment from massspector below suggests that there are 18 "free" restaurant...............actually there are only 5 and one of those is the Windjammer buffet.

One thing that RCI does that is very different than NCL is to "encourage" you to get reservations for dinner and the mechanics for this on the Quantum are mentioned only briefly in the article. The blurbs I read suggested that it would be best to get your reservations when you get your Set Sail pass (or whatever it is called on RCI vs. Celebrity).

One comment below pretty well sums up my opinion of that suggestion that it is not optimal to have to make decisions when and where you want to eat a few months before the meal......most of us don't do that at home so then to do it on a "relaxing" cruise??? Doesn't sound good.

I presume you will be able to show up and wait in line like RCI does on their other ship any time dining options; I found that if you try to get reservations on the current ships "My TIme Dining" is more like whatever time they feel like giving you rather than what you would really like to get as a reservation..................so we wait in the line for folks without reservations and usually not too bad.

It will be very interesting to see how this works out but the logistics even for the 5 free restaurants should be very challenging and the pay restaurants will likely fill up and not be available until either very early or more likely for late seatings..................we'll see when the Anthem sails from FL..............had our fill of Bayonne and that "cruise port" warehouse and expensive parking so Quantum will likely not be an option for us................wonder if they will still use buses at Bayonne or will get the boarding process more efficient?

I agree with you some great points. I do not want to make reservations or wait on line when I am on vacation... I also don't consider the wind jammer an option for dinner. We will see how it goes.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Even though I always request a table for two, there's something really nice about being able to walk in and go directly to your same table each night. No waiting in line, no having to be shown to your table, no having to explain your preferences to your waiter each night. Your table becomes as much your "home" as your stateroom, and it's one of the great things that sets a cruise apart from a land vacation. If I wanted to go to a restaurant (and they stress in the video that these are main restaurants, NOT main dining rooms) I could do that at home.

The MDR also has a variety of choices each night, so depending on your mood you could get American comfort food, Asian food, fancy banquet dishes, Italian food, etc. Better yet, each member of your party could get a different dish, so I could order crepes and ceviche, the person to my right could order a burger or pasta with red sauce, and the person to my left could order a curry dish. That sounds a whole lot more "dynamic" than everyone in your party having to agree months in advance to all eat Asian food or comfort food on a particular night.

And for the record, I'm not a traditionalist, I'm relatively young compared with most cruisers, and I hadn't been on a cruise before 2013 (although I loved that first one so much that I took a second one a couple of months later).

This!!!;)

Exactly...and I think this will make a big difference. On my last NCL cruise, we could not make reservations because we were a party of 4. Only parties of 6 or more could make reservations and even then, it had to be made on board, not pre-cruise.

This results in just about the entire ship competing for a table during peak dinner times. Wait times were 30+ minutes. Being able to make reservations ahead of time will eliminate this from happening.

On the other hand, this will likely be a big disadvantage to those making last minute bookings. Desirable dining times will likely be unavailable.

There are a lot of features that are being promoted for Quantum and Anthem are just so innovative! The sky diving simulator, the bumper cars, and the 270 Area are just super innovative. Ten years ago I had more NCL cruises than RCCL cruises. The tipping point was the anytime dining vs. the structured dining. Times change and I believe that RCCL is being responsive to more people wanting less regimentation in their vacation. Not a day goes by, on these boards, where someone is not complaining about formal nights. Some complain they don't want to dress. Some complain about the people who don't dress. Then there are the people that don't think that there is enough to do on board. It goes on and on! We live in Florida and chances are that I won't fly to New York to take a cruise to the Bahamas.They will position Anthem in Europe initially and then put her in FL. eventually. We will sail that class in Europe or out of a Florida port. Many of our friends are going on one of the first few voyages and we'll get their feedback.

I dont get the bumper car thing anymore than I get the boxing ring on the Freedom class. Waste of space if you ask me.

My question is the menus in the "free" dining rooms. Are they set or do they change daily?

Except for the Windjammer, one comment I read on the RCI announcement suggested that menus in all restaurants would be fixed.............they seem to have a plan to strongly encourage moving around to the various venues...............and of course the $$$ ones are in play here too;)

I will wait until I have been on Quantum to form an opinion of this dynamic dinning. We have always taken late seating so I don't see that as being a problem. Which dinning room to go to will take some planning. Even with the ability to make reservations ahead of departure what is to stop someone from changing their mind on any given day.

I was on the inaugural NCL Epic sailing out of Miami, where the concept of open dining (with a lot of different dining choices) was launched (at least among the mass market lines, can't speak for others). I haven't gone back to regular dining since.

I realize that we all are different, but on vacation I'm rarely ready to eat dinner at the same time. Heck I bought a dining package for my Allure cruise next week and I hated having to pick a set time for the first restaurant in the plan (required to visit it on the first or second day).

I do get why some people miss traditional dining though, as the relationship with your table mates and servers can be interesting at times. The problem is that those relationships are hit or miss. I'd rather discover someone interesting onboard and choose eat with them again, or if I find an interesting dining team ask for them to serve me again.

I like variety and flexibility above all else, so this interests me.

Edited by JasonV1

I was on the inaugural NCL Epic sailing out of Miami, where the concept of open dining was launched (at least among the mass market lines, can't speak for others). I haven't gone back to regular dining since.

Do you mean another ship? :confused: Open dining existed long before the Epic. The first time I did it was way back on the NCL Seaward.

I dont get the bumper car thing anymore than I get the boxing ring on the Freedom class. Waste of space if you ask me.

I will bet good money the bumper cars on Quantum class will be utilized MUCH more than the boxing ring on Freedom class.

Kids love bumper cars. So do some adults and its not an extra charge.