Royal Caribbean...the "new" NCL

tx121

I am a loyal fan. Every June I do the Indy trip out of Sputhampton.

The more I am hearing about what the Anthem has to offer that's replacing Indy the more disappointed I am.

I love Formal night. Why do I want to go to all the effort of dressing up and looking the part and someone else hasn't bothered. One thing or another, that's what I say.

One disappointed RCL fan. Feels like a Celebrity cruise next year.

Edited by lovethesun22

I love Formal night. Why do I want to go to all the effort of dressing up and looking the part and someone else hasn't bothered. One thing or another, that's what I say.

If the Quantum model goes fleetwide, you won't be alone in making that jump.

Watch out for the stampede.

As a fan of both RCI and NCL, I personally don't see much of an issue with the two coming closer together (something I have noticed happening more and more, especially with each new ship each company debuts).

My big concerns and questions are more about implementation than the core concept. If it were rolled out where you could reasonably make reservations each morning for the complimentary venues and not get immediately locked out of all but the most inconvenient times or the venues were big enough to ensure only reasonable wait times, it would be a great system. If the only way one would be able to avoid long standby waits was to book each night months before the cruise, I think the concept of "choice" is lost when you had to per-determine your meals months out. I know the video and press release hinted at an on-board reservation system, but from what I hear of peoples' experiences with on-board specialty dining and MTD reservations, it can vary wildly from ship to ship and sailing to sailing in practice.

I would definitely wait to see how the concept played out in practice before getting all gung-ho about this concept. For now I am just cautiously optimistic.

Cafe Promenade and Sorrento's are both still free.

In addition to the for-a-fee Sorrento's, Cafe Promenade and Johnny Rockets, three complimentary options will include:

• Windjammer Marketplace: the line's signature buffet, which includes made-to-order specialties, an on-site bakery and a 24-hour station called The Grill;

• The Cafe @ Two70: a gourmet marketplace serving hot-pressed sandwiches, salads made to order, handmade soups and more;

• SeaPlex Dog House: a food truck at sea offering gourmet hot dogs within SeaPlex, Royal Caribbean's largest indoor activity space at sea with activities like bumper cars and roller skating.

Not according to the statement above. Sorrento's Café Promenade and JR is for a FEE and WJ, The Café @ 270 and SeaPlex dog house are FREE

You must be joking; this is the natural direction for not only royal but all cruise lines. Since I've mostly have been on mostly ncl cruises I'll tell you to be on a ship with less than 10 restaurants to me is difficult and unappealing.

A new generation of younger cruises are on these ships now they are use to having choices , not having to sit with people they don't know, what's a relation with a waiter good for? So they know you like your coffee a certain way, who cares?

I only hope this goes fleet wide, I would imagine oasis p, freedom and voyager ships could be converted the rest of the fleet will probably be gone in a few years

I like the change also . the old dress up (IE Formal nights) are way past there usefullness and should be held for the death ships like Holland America and celebrity . Cruises are for fun and sun and not for tux and tails . America is getting younger and the formal stuff is rapidly fading . Hurry casual attire .Say no to the dress .

Not according to the statement above. Sorrento's Café Promenade and JR is for a FEE and WJ, The Café @ 270 and SeaPlex dog house are FREE

Go here. Click on the drop down for Dining Style and you will see that Sorrentos, Cafe PR is Free.

Solarium Bistro is free for breakfast as well.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/restaurants/

In addition to the for-a-fee Sorrento's, Cafe Promenade and Johnny Rockets, three complimentary options will include:

• Windjammer Marketplace: the line's signature buffet, which includes made-to-order specialties, an on-site bakery and a 24-hour station called The Grill;

• The Cafe @ Two70: a gourmet marketplace serving hot-pressed sandwiches, salads made to order, handmade soups and more;

• SeaPlex Dog House: a food truck at sea offering gourmet hot dogs within SeaPlex, Royal Caribbean's largest indoor activity space at sea with activities like bumper cars and roller skating.

Weird, on the specific pages for Srrentos and Cafe Promenade for Quantum, they are both listed as Complimentary. One of the spots must be a typo... interesting to see which one. Although, I would find it odd if they charged for Cafe Promenade sandwiches, but not Cafe @ 270 sandwiches, since the latter was being billed as more upscale.

I like that Royal is trying something new. They now have to find almost a million more cruisers a year to fill up these big ships and to do that they have to find new ways to attract people who haven't cruised before. I hope this works for them.

We cruise about 3 times a year and on many different cruise lines. What I find most often is that if there is a seating option closed it is first seating traditional. This seems to happen across all cruise ines. Several times I have tried MTD or the equivalent not because I wanted to but because the traditional seating was full/closed. If this is the "way of the future" I wonder why this happens as often as it does. But in fairness there could have been times when MTD was full and I did not know because I never asked.

Each tiime I tried "MTD" I found the experience to be less enjoyable than the traditional dining, but that is just me. My wife and I prefer formal dining to casual dining and have picked cruise lines and ships (Cunard for example) that feature this.

I am glad they are expanding the options for those who don't like to do this. If I owned a large floating amusement park I wouldn't ask the customers to wear formal wear for even one night. I would want to go all casual, I think that sounds like a great idea. That will draw even more people to cruising and help spread the costs. The more the merrier.

Just keep us in separate dining rooms or even separate ships. Everyone will be happier. I think that may be the way of the future.

Directly from the website

Sorrentos

Serving a variety of antipasti, salads, desserts and pizzas by the slice or by the pie, Sorrento’s is one of Royal Caribbean’s six complimentary and casual-service restaurants onboard Quantum of the SeasSM and Anthem of the SeasSM.

Dress:Casual

Meals Served:Lunch and DINNER

Complimentary

Cafe Promenade

Serving a variety of sandwiches, pastries and desserts 24 hours a day, Café Promenade is one of Royal Caribbean’s six complimentary and casual-service restaurants onboard Quantum of the SeasSM and Anthem of the SeasSM.

Dress:CASUAL

Meals Served:Breakfast, Lunch and DINNER

Price:Complimentary

I feel like I am in the minority but I am going to be truly sad when RCL goes by way of NCL.

I liked having the choice of two very different brands (RCL and NCL). Now they are looking very similar.

Mind you at least Breakaway and Getaway have the charming 'Waterfront' feature. Quantum is looking a bit 'inward' focussed, unless they have more tricks up their sleeve.

Edited by London-Calling

Am I correct that this is a cut and paste from http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5804 ?

Has this ever been stated by RCI? I never thought I'd say this, but in this case I trust RCI more than CC.

Thom

That is definitely a mistake on Cruise Critics part and should probably be corrected now.

On the RCI website, Cafe Promenade and Sorrentos are definitely complimentary.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/restaurants/

Here is an MDR menu from NCL Epic. Count how many times you see butter, sauce, cream, gravy. Looks like food selection for class of 1957.

RCI borrowed the no set time, no set restaurant, but RCI's restaurants are significantly different from restaurant to restaurant without NCL's upcharge. RCI has eliminated the permutations of the MDR menu to save costs and provide a specialty dining type menu in 4 different dinner locations free for everyone on board.

Boring and old NCL menu

epicdinner.jpg

Have you seen the Windjammer on Allure? First glance tells you it's way too small for the number of passengers, I've never seen one so congested, with waits for tables- I just hope the same person who designed that isn't involved with the Dynamic Dining......

I agree with you on the smallness of the Windjammer on Allure. On our recent B2B there were lines all the time and you had to wait to be seated. This had nothing to do with embarkation, it happened every day of the two weeks.

I can honestly say I was one who said I'd never cruise on Oasis or Allure, and after doing a B2B on Allure (while it is a beautiful ship), I have no desire to ever cruise on one of these mega ships again. The new plans for dining on Quantum and Anthem also do not WOW me and after reviewing the menus, I am royally not impressed.

I will still cruise Royal on other ships until they choose to implement this dining on all. If and when it goes fleetwide, I will make a decision if I prefer land based vacations with many more options for eating, versus cruising with just some options.

I, as others have said, see the coming of a new dawn...FEES FOR ALL FOOD.

I'm sorry but I don't understand the concept. What's the difference between having 5 unique restaurants where the menu doesn't change and having 1 MDR that has different menus every night? Dynamic dining just seems more cumbersome. :confused::confused::confused:

Previously people whined and complained because if they wanted to go anywhere but the MDR they had to pay a fee and OMG that just wasn't fair because they didn't have any choices. Now they get to choose from 5 specialty restaurants without paying anything extra.

If the Quantum model goes fleetwide, you won't be alone in making that jump.

Watch out for the stampede.

You mean like the stampede that was predicted with Oasis and Allure debuted and people were saying they'd never go on those ships b/c they were too big and they were a huge mistake Royal would never be able to keep them booked? That stampede? The one that... oh wait... That mass exodus never actually came to pass. :rolleyes:

For the foreseeable future at least, the dining concept isn't changing on any of Royal's existing ships so why would there be a stampede away from the whole company anyway? Those who don't want the new dining concept can keep sailing on the exact same Royal ships they've been sailing on all along. No need to go anywhere. :)

For those who choose to be a martyr and boycott the whole company because they don't want to go on ONE ship (two when Anthem is ready), don't worry- there will be a whole bunch of new pax to take your place.

Previously people whined and complained because if they wanted to go anywhere but the MDR they had to pay a fee and OMG that just wasn't fair because they didn't have any choices. Now they get to choose from 5 specialty restaurants without paying anything extra.

You mean like the stampede that was predicted with Oasis and Allure debuted and people were saying they'd never go on those ships b/c they were too big and they were a huge mistake Royal would never be able to keep them booked? That stampede? The one that... oh wait... That mass exodus never actually came to pass. :rolleyes:

For the foreseeable future at least, the dining concept isn't changing on any of Royal's existing ships so why would there be a stampede away from the whole company anyway? Those who don't want the new dining concept can keep sailing on the exact same Royal ships they've been sailing on all along. No need to go anywhere. :)

For those who choose to be a martyr and boycott the whole company because they don't want to go on ONE ship (two when Anthem is ready), don't worry- there will be a whole bunch of new pax to take your place.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :D

Thank you. I was hoping that it was wrong. yes This is one time I believe RCCL and not CC. How could they charge for a small sandwich and one cookie? When I read it on CC I had to read it three times.

Options are wonderful as long as they don't take something else away. Add don't give us less. One day I might try Anthem, I live in So Florida, I am not flying to NY in the winter to go to the Bahamas or Caribbean. So I will wait and see.

Irene

I am a loyal fan. Every June I do the Indy trip out of Sputhampton.

The more I am hearing about what the Anthem has to offer that's replacing Indy the more disappointed I am.

We've just booked Britannia from Southampton for July 2015 ---- seems a better bet than Anthem after this news.