Just off Mar 23-27 Sapphire

AZJerry

Disembarked yesterday for the 2nd to last domestic cruise for the Sapphire before she leaves for Asia. A couple of thoughts on how it went.

• We had booked a rear mini-suite on deck 8 and boarded at the rear. This time they had staff actually running the elevators, taking embarking passengers to their deck. All well and good except when we then wanted to go to Lido deck for pizza. The elevator call buttons didn't bring a car to our deck. One time a car stopped to drop off some passengers and we asked to be taken up as my wife is recovering from a broken foot and shouldn't walking a lot. The staff member shrugged and hit the close door button.

• Lido deck pizza was absolutely AWFUL. Quite possibly the worst either of us has ever had. Alfredo's was good, as usual.

• WiFi was a little worse than usual. We found that it was faster to go to the internet cafe and use their PCs.

• The new TVs were weird. Every time they both turned on, they were on different channels. I think that one wasn't put into the normal "hotel mode" as it turned on to the last channel and I could go into all the settings and menus. The default color on the other set was almost unwatchable at times and couldn't be fixed.

• Saw no sign of the on-demand movie channels that others have mentioned. There were a couple of extra blank channels that the hotel mode set rotated through. The regular movie channels seemed to be showing the same one or two movies the entire time. Same two Love Boat episodes as the last trip or two. No printed TV guide as usual.

• Other than two non-working foreign currency exchange machines and, maybe, a few more Chinese servers, I saw no evidence of the ship going to Asia. No change in menus, no bilingual signs, etc.

• The wine list in the Sterling Steakhouse menu didn't reflect what was actually on-board. After we tried to order off that list the waiter gave us a separate wine list.

• This trip continued to reflect a gradual decline in friendliness and attentiveness of the crew. Fewer crew smiled and greeted us as we passed. Longer waits for drink orders in or just outside of Horizon Court. One morning I had finished eating my breakfast when my hot tea finally showed up. Another morning no one offered us coffee until we were almost done eating. Our Sterling waiter didn't stop by until after the maitre d asked us if he had been there yet.

• Again, there was no mention in the Patter of any special nights on Horizon Court. The first suit we asked there didn't know at all. The second claimed that there would be Mexican night on our Ensenada day (wrong) and Bavarian the last night (right).

• The hot tubs still weren't hot so we didn't bother going.

• Not Sapphire specific but I received 18 welcome back emails, each linking to different survey.

Not Sapphire specific but I received 18 welcome back emails, each linking to different survey.

Wow, sounds like someone had a stuck SEND key!

Think it will still be interesting to see the final changes of the Sapphire (and Diamond) once it settles into it's Asia itinerary.

Disembarked yesterday for the 2nd to last domestic cruise for the Sapphire before she leaves for Asia. A couple of thoughts on how it went.

• We had booked a rear mini-suite on deck 8 and boarded at the rear. This time they had staff actually running the elevators, taking embarking passengers to their deck. All well and good except when we then wanted to go to Lido deck for pizza. The elevator call buttons didn't bring a car to our deck. One time a car stopped to drop off some passengers and we asked to be taken up as my wife is recovering from a broken foot and shouldn't walking a lot. The staff member shrugged and hit the close door button.

• Lido deck pizza was absolutely AWFUL. Quite possibly the worst either of us has ever had. Alfredo's was good, as usual.

• WiFi was a little worse than usual. We found that it was faster to go to the internet cafe and use their PCs.

• The new TVs were weird. Every time they both turned on, they were on different channels. I think that one wasn't put into the normal "hotel mode" as it turned on to the last channel and I could go into all the settings and menus. The default color on the other set was almost unwatchable at times and couldn't be fixed.

• Saw no sign of the on-demand movie channels that others have mentioned. There were a couple of extra blank channels that the hotel mode set rotated through. The regular movie channels seemed to be showing the same one or two movies the entire time. Same two Love Boat episodes as the last trip or two. No printed TV guide as usual.

• Other than two non-working foreign currency exchange machines and, maybe, a few more Chinese servers, I saw no evidence of the ship going to Asia. No change in menus, no bilingual signs, etc.

• The wine list in the Sterling Steakhouse menu didn't reflect what was actually on-board. After we tried to order off that list the waiter gave us a separate wine list.

• This trip continued to reflect a gradual decline in friendliness and attentiveness of the crew. Fewer crew smiled and greeted us as we passed. Longer waits for drink orders in or just outside of Horizon Court. One morning I had finished eating my breakfast when my hot tea finally showed up. Another morning no one offered us coffee until we were almost done eating. Our Sterling waiter didn't stop by until after the maitre d asked us if he had been there yet.

• Again, there was no mention in the Patter of any special nights on Horizon Court. The first suit we asked there didn't know at all. The second claimed that there would be Mexican night on our Ensenada day (wrong) and Bavarian the last night (right).

• The hot tubs still weren't hot so we didn't bother going.

• Not Sapphire specific but I received 18 welcome back emails, each linking to different survey.

Sorry but I disagree with all you complained about, Service was superb from all staff we had dealings with and they always had a smile and a friendly greeting. I liked the pizza as did my wife...The last thing I want is to watch television or movies, I can do that at home and I don't need to connect to the internet. We enjoyed the 4 days and never once heard any news of the outside world.. I also received a ton of welcome back emails,,,, simple solution just delete them.

One email every half hour or so from 9:45 PM to 6:15 AM.

Our pizza was a late lunch the day we boarded. Perhaps it was better later but it was bad enough that we didn't bother trying it again. Plenty of other choices for lunch.

We generally don't worry so much about internet but this time, we were anxiously awaiting news of our new grandson's birth.

My wife, who's cruised Princess a lot longer than I have, first mentioned the decline in friendliness on our first cruise. We both agree that it's gotten a bit worse since then. That's not to say that no one smiled, plenty did. But there definitely seems to be fewer and fewer.

Overall, though, we had a great time, just like every other cruise we've taken.

Edited by AZJerry

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm going to miss the Sapphire. We were on in 2012 in Alaska. We had one of the deluxe ocean view cabins at the bow of the ship. It was the perfect place for viewing glaciers in Glacier Bay and at Hubbard Glacier.

Some of the negative comments I've read in the past couple weeks have me a little concerned about my upcoming Sapphire cruise. I guess I'll need to go into it with a very easy-going mind frame. I, for one, hope the movie channels are working on the new TVs. I rarely take the time to watch a movie at home, but on a cruise, it's a treat for me. Any cruise is better than no cruise, right?

Some of the negative comments I've read in the past couple weeks have me a little concerned about my upcoming Sapphire cruise. I guess I'll need to go into it with a very easy-going mind frame. I, for one, hope the movie channels are working on the new TVs. I rarely take the time to watch a movie at home, but on a cruise, it's a treat for me. Any cruise is better than no cruise, right?

Take it all with the proverbial grain of salt!!

I'm onboard right now and can speak to some of the OP's comments. The internet does seem to be a bit slow, but I'm sure that's from all the folks that I've seen using mobile devices. It is much better later in the evening.

We had lunch in Alfredo's yesterday on embarkation day and it was excellent. Lido deck pizza was as good as always.

As to the crew, I haven't seen any crew that were unfriendly or that didn't greet us as they went by.

We have the on-demand TV and once you get by the learning curve, it's very nice. Even the "Love Boat" episodes are very crisp and HD-ish...:)

So far, so good!!

I'm onboard right now and can speak to some of the OP's comments. The internet does seem to be a bit slow, but I'm sure that's from all the folks that I've seen using mobile devices. It is much better later in the evening.

We had lunch in Alfredo's yesterday on embarkation day and it was excellent. Lido deck pizza was as good as always.

As to the crew, I haven't seen any crew that were unfriendly or that didn't greet us as they went by.

We have the on-demand TV and once you get by the learning curve, it's very nice. Even the "Love Boat" episodes are very crisp and HD-ish...:)

So far, so good!!

Enjoy and thanks for checking in. :D

So far, so good!!

Good to hear a positive report. Enjoy your cruise! :)

I did the BVE on the Sapphire yesterday so I was onboard for several hours.

What a strange embarkation! They had a luncheon group of over 200 people who had boarded for the day. And, a large wedding group for a wedding taking place in the Wheelhouse during embarkation. And, another large wedding group sailing with the ship. All were checked in by 10:45am. I got there at about 10:30 and it felt like the terminal was empty compared to my Sapphire boardings in January and earlier this month. I was onboard by 11:15am... very early for a BVE.

The ship was eerily empty until well after 1pm. Like Rick, although I didn't see him, I had lunch in Alfredo's. Everywhere I went, service was good.

I didn't wander around the ship much but I did notice that the shops have changed in the last two weeks. There's a Chanel store, a large store with lots of perfumes, and a store selling what looked like gorgeous high-end items. I didn't check all the stores but I'd heard there was going to be a very high end watch store.

Friends who were doing the BVE with me were delayed by a big accident on the 405 so they went to the HC for lunch before meeting. They said that while it was mostly closed off, they had a delicious hot lunch and were very pleased. They said that their complaint about buffets is that the food isn't hot enough but they said it was fresh and hot yesterday.

Lunch yesterday:

ata9e4e6.jpg

Some of the gorgeous items in the shop window:

ujebe6uq.jpg

e6ama3y6.jpg

e9e3y6yv.jpg

Edited by Pam in CA

I did the BVE on the Sapphire yesterday so I was onboard for several hours.

What a strange embarkation! They had a luncheon group of over 200 people who had boarded for the day. And, a large wedding group for a wedding taking place in the Wheelhouse during embarkation. And, another large wedding group sailing with the ship. All were checked in by 10:45am. I got there at about 10:30 and it felt like the terminal was empty compared to my Sapphire boardings in January and earlier this month. I was onboard by 11:15am... very early for a BVE.

The ship was eerily empty until well after 1pm. Like Rick, although I didn't see him, I had lunch in Alfredo's. Everywhere I went, service was good.

I didn't wander around the ship much but I did notice that the shops have changed in the last two weeks. There's a Chanel store, a large store with lots of perfumes, and a store selling what looked like gorgeous high-end items. I didn't check all the stores but I'd heard there was going to be a very high end watch store.

Friends who were doing the BVE with me were delayed by a big accident on the 405 so they went to the HC for lunch before meeting. They said that while it was mostly closed off, they had a delicious hot lunch and were very pleased. They said that their complaint about buffets is that the food isn't hot enough but they said it was fresh and hot yesterday.

Lunch yesterday:

ata9e4e6.jpg

Some of the gorgeous items in the shop window:

ujebe6uq.jpg

e6ama3y6.jpg

e9e3y6yv.jpg

Obviously they now have pepperoni pizza at Alfredo's. They didn't offer that when I was on the Sapphire.

Obviously they now have pepperoni pizza at Alfredo's. They didn't offer that when I was on the Sapphire.
They've had pepperoni but not on the menu because I've had it before, also on the sapphire. You have to ask for it.

As for the figurines, there was no explanation in the window and the shop was closed while I was onboard.

They've had pepperoni but not on the menu because I've had it before, also on the sapphire. You have to ask for it.

As for the figurines, there was no explanation in the window and the shop was closed while I was onboard.

I agree, thats what they told us, if you want anything thats not on the menu just ask.

Thanks for the pics, Pam. The bird is beautiful! The pizza looks delicious! I feel sorry for your friends stuck on the 405. It can be such a nightmare at times, even with all those lanes.

You'd think I'd get a free upgrade on this cruise since it's empty, but nope. Totally amazes me. Last I checked, there were tons of open balconies then all of a sudden, they were all gone. I figured I was moved up. Nope. The rep. I was talking to about 2 wks. ago was so sure I'd get an upgrade that it made me hope. I should've known better. :cool:

Hi,

We were on this sailing, too. We were in an inside cabin on the Caribe deck (10) and we had on-demand TV and movies. My mom across the hall had it, too. My sister on Deck 11 didn't have it. Guess they haven't finished the upgrade yet? Having kid's movies on demand was the greatest thing EVER for our kids!

My 5 year old son loved the kids club, 3 year old daughter hated it and they had to page us because she was crying too much. (She's a little clingy- so not surprised). Fine by me...she sang the ABC song at karaoke and that made the trip for me!

Received 105 survey emails. Glad it was all "junk", though I did fill one out.

I thought both pizza places were good. To each their own.

Staff certainly gave the smile and greeting but not a lot of heart behind it. We did have an awesome waitress in the main dining room during breakfast named Miriam. She was great, especially with the kids!

We all had a great time swimming, eating and spending time with family! I'd do it all again tomorrow...except maybe not eat so much!

We saw your daughter sing and thought she was great. What a trooper.

We normally like both pizza places. They're different but both good. That's why we so surprised and disappointed that the Lido pizza was so bad when we went.

This cruise gave me platinum, WooHoo! One more and wife hits elite, double WooHoo!!

Glad someone from the boards saw her. I am so NOT a stage mom, etc. but since she wouldn't go back to the childcare, I made the most of it. Who doesn't love a 3 year old?!

We had the pizza at the grill on the 3rd day...maybe it wasn't cooked well when you went? Maybe I was more focused on feeding the kids their 86th hot dog!

Looks like you enjoy the California cruises! I talked hubby into putting down a future cruise deposit! :) Maybe sometime in October or November without the kids! I can't wait!

You'd think I'd get a free upgrade on this cruise since it's empty, but nope. Totally amazes me. Last I checked, there were tons of open balconies then all of a sudden, they were all gone. I figured I was moved up. Nope. The rep. I was talking to about 2 wks. ago was so sure I'd get an upgrade that it made me hope. I should've known better. :cool:

When are you sailing on the Sapphire? My sister and I are boarding next Thursday for the trans-Pacific cruise to Osaka.....are you joining us? You haven't joined Roll Call yet.....:D

Tricia

My friend and I sailed from 3/19-3/23. We have a fantastic time! Loved eating the pizza in Alfredo's ( 3 out of 4 days lol) enjoyed the dinning room service and food and HC for breakfast was perfect. The ship seemed unusually empty except for the children since it was spring break. Everyone seemed happy. The only lines we encountered was the last night at the purser's desk. Loved the fact they have new beds, and flat screen TV's ( we were in A329 and it worked great). :D We were only sad our schedules would not allow us to book a B2B!!

I'm glad to hear that:)

A few years ago when Alfredo's was newer, we tried to order something other than what was on the menu and we were told no. So unfortunatley we never went back. But we definitely will this next cruise.

Since we loved the On Demand on the Royal I was wondering if it would be possible to roll that out to the other ships when they dry docked like they have done with the Piazza and IC. Now that you have told me they installed it on the Sapphire I'm wondering if they will put it on the other ships as they can. Like someone else who posted, we don't go to the movies and really enjoyed catching up on some my friends recommended. I love that feature so you can watch a movie when you want and we enjoy going back to the cabin around 10 and watching some TV or a movie. Any speculation about putting it on other ships?