Radiance Class from Baltimore

I would love to see a Radiance class ship sail from Baltimore!! Anyone else in agreement?

Yes, I would too but I think it has to do with being able to get under bay bridge and those ships are too high. So unless that changes will it won't we are not likely to see that happen.

Yes, I would too but I think it has to do with being able to get under bay bridge and those ships are too high. So unless that changes will it won't we are not likely to see that happen.

I have it from a very reliable source that Radiance class fits under the Bay Bridge and the Key Bridge.

I think it does fit under both bridges. However, another option is moving the port to another location in Baltimore....Annapolis or another area not affecting the bridges. I think I heard that Grandeur was here to stay.....at least through 2015.....hope that is not true and they do bring the Radiance class ships....

I think it does fit under both bridges. However, another option is moving the port to another location in Baltimore....Annapolis or another area not affecting the bridges. I think I heard that Grandeur was here to stay.....at least through 2015.....hope that is not true and they do bring the Radiance class ships....

The problem with Annapolis as a port is the distance from BWI. Lots of stuff for excursions in the Annapolis area! And so close to DC! If RCCL could build a terminal in the DC area it would be very profitable!

The current cruise terminal in Baltimore is fine. Radiance ships will fit there. RCCL officials have announced that. Very close to BWI and hotels.

Moving to Annapolis, where those NIMBYs would not want it, or closer to DC where there is no possibility of a port. South of the Bay Bridge, where would you build a new port? And who would pay for it? The Potomac is out, no RCCL ship since Empress would even dare sail up the Potomac.

There are only 4 Radiance class ships, and they are getting older. As are the Vision class ships Enchantment and Grandeur and a few more in that class. Baltimore is an important port to RCCL. They make $$$ there! They can probably manage for another 10 years or so putting Radiance and Vision class ships in there. But the time will come when those bridges will become much more of an obstacle than they are now.

Rick and Deirdra

Edited by Pumbaamd

There are some cruises already listed for the Grandeur out of Baltimore in the spring of 2016.

Dan.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

There are some cruises already listed for the Grandeur out of Baltimore in the spring of 2016.

Dan.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

I see Grandeur in Baltimore until at least the end of April 2016. What have you seen beyond that?

I would be excited to see a different ship.

Yes Radiance Class ships can make it under the bridges going into Baltimore. That is the largest ship class for Royal Caribbean that can make it into Baltimore. Why Royal Caribbean does not put one there is anyone's guess but I would bet that it is because those ships make a lot of revenue for Royal Caribbean in their current homeports.

A different ship would be great! The remaining Vision class ships are similar to Grandeur and Enchantment. Different would be Radiance class. And they are in demand everywhere. Looks like RCCL needs to build another Radiance or two to serve the smaller ports where they make a lot of $$$. They have to be thinking about it. Not just for Baltimore, but for the many other ports similar to Baltimore.

Rick and Deirdra

I see Grandeur in Baltimore until at least the end of April 2016. What have you seen beyond that?

Not sure what you are asking. I said I see cruises for Grandeur in the Spring of 2016. You said through April 2016. Isn't that the same thing?

I was responding to the person who said they heard Grandeur would be in Baltimore through 2015, but was hoping it wouldn't be. Obviously if it is scheduled through the Spring of 2016, it will be there in 2015.

I have no opinion on the ship, or port, as I have sailed neither.

Dan.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Not sure what you are asking. I said I see cruises for Grandeur in the Spring of 2016. You said through April 2016. Isn't that the same thing?

I was responding to the person who said they heard Grandeur would be in Baltimore through 2015, but was hoping it wouldn't be. Obviously if it is scheduled through the Spring of 2016, it will be there in 2015.

I have no opinion on the ship, or port, as I have sailed neither.

Dan.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

LOL --I was not reading the comment correctly. :o When you said "out of Baltimore" I took that to mean somewhere other than Baltimore.

LOL --I was not reading the comment correctly. :o When you said "out of Baltimore" I took that to mean somewhere other than Baltimore.

Ooooppppsss! I can understand that now that I reread my first comment. :) Sorry for the confusion.

Dan.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

I'd much rather see any RC ship in NORFOLK again!

My husband and I are with you............NORFOLK is a great terminal - we appreciate that the Baltimore is just a 4-1/2 hour drive away but Norfolk needs more cruise lines to take advantage of the beautiful terminal. No bridges to contend with and quicker to get to the Caribbean..............:)

Radiance class ships will fit under both the Key and By Bridges. As the air draft is 185 and 186 ft.

As far as a new terminal south of the Bay Bridge you are talking tens of millions of dollars to develop.

You would have to dredge a channel from the main shipping channel to the pier.

Then you would have to build a new pier and terminal and any other structures required or needed.

Also, don't for get about the road infrastructure that would be needed to enter and leave the terminal .

The permits needed from the federal state and local governments would also be required.

I guess we can always hope.

Bwi to the cruise port is maybe 15-20 min. Bwi to Annapolis is maybe 25-30 minutes (Annapolis to DC can be 40-60 minutes). I don't see how bwi to Annapolis would be a deal breaker.

Annapolis is not really all that friendly for a big cruise ship. as for BWI to Annaplis. the options suck. one accident and you are hosed for hours.

last week.. TWO Major accidents( one on the 100, one on Ft Smallwood road) jacked up traffic on the main highways and all the back roads for pretty much the entire day. the first accident was an like 10 am, the second was just before evening rush hour. on a normal day it takes Mr Spook 30 minutes to get home from work. that day.. over 3 hours.

furthermore there really is nowhere to put a cruise terminal in Annapolis and trust me, the Navy is NOT giving up their prime real estate and access.

Radiance class ships will fit under both the Key and By Bridges. As the air draft is 185 and 186 ft.

As far as a new terminal south of the Bay Bridge you are talking tens of millions of dollars to develop.

You would have to dredge a channel from the main shipping channel to the pier.

Then you would have to build a new pier and terminal and any other structures required or needed.

Also, don't for get about the road infrastructure that would be needed to enter and leave the terminal .

The permits needed from the federal state and local governments would also be required.

I guess we can always hope.

Agreed Tony.

I'm in Bel Air, right off 543!

It's a shame RCI did not try to bring in a Radiance class ship for a couple of cruises while Pride was out. But I guess with how well RCI sells out their ships, it's hard to reposition them on the fly...

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

The problem with Annapolis as a port is the distance from BWI. Lots of stuff for excursions in the Annapolis area! And so close to DC! If RCCL could build a terminal in the DC area it would be very profitable!

As much as I would love Annapolis as a place to embark, it is not nearly big enough or deep enough, sadly.

It's only 30 minutes to BWI...certainly DCA (Reagan National) and IAD (Dulles) would be available but not much more convenient.

Just no space for a cruise ship pier, resupply facilities or parking.

Too bad. Annapolis, my home town, is beautiful. People would love it!

Annapolis is not really all that friendly for a big cruise ship. as for BWI to Annaplis. the options suck. one accident and you are hosed for hours.

last week.. TWO Major accidents( one on the 100, one on Ft Smallwood road) jacked up traffic on the main highways and all the back roads for pretty much the entire day. the first accident was an like 10 am, the second was just before evening rush hour. on a normal day it takes Mr Spook 30 minutes to get home from work. that day.. over 3 hours.

furthermore there really is nowhere to put a cruise terminal in Annapolis and trust me, the Navy is NOT giving up their prime real estate and access.

Even the USNA bulkhead is not big enough. When Navy ships call on Annapolis for Commissioning Week, they stand off out in the center of the Chesapeake where commercial traffic anchors.

Too shallow.

We love the port of Baltimore - hate to fly anymore. :( We are more concerned that the Vision and / or Radiance class ships are aging, and there is nothing in the pipeline that size - to replace them.

When these ships come out of the RCL lineup - will they only have the gargantuan ships sailing to the same old engineered Caribbean ports?