How can I guarantee a decent table on select dining basis (Reflection)

ciaobella12

My husband and I are due to sail 17th April (Reflection) and have pre paid gratuities for select dining and we have also reserved the same time slot for each evening. In the past, we have invariably been seated at a different table each night (some very good and others...well, not so good). Can any of you guys give me advice on how to ensure we get a lovely table for two every night! Thanks in advance!

We had a lovely girl check us in for dinner each night, we requested a table for 2 by the window and most nights that is the table we had, a friendly smile and polite requests go a long way, just ask on the first night and if possible I am sure they will help you

advice on how to ensure we get a lovely table for two every night! Thanks in advance!

a friendly smile and polite requests go a long way,

And don't show up at the most popular times to dine. If table location is the most important thing to you, be among the first to arrive or plan to dine very late. Not that "good" tables won't ever be available at other times, but if you are trying to guarantee that you'll get one, early or late dining time will help.

Well, the best approach would be to go early, when the DR opens --- not sure if you are willing to do that. Otherwise, scout out the tables that you would be happy with, either the afternoon of embarkation or the first evening, they should all have numbers. If you have more than one choice when you get to the podium, you should have a good chance of getting one of them. Plus, there is always the option of telling them that you'll wait for your choice of table (or waiter), we have done that before . But I don't think it's possible to actually reserve a specific table and have it waiting for you.

PS --- Take good care of the Reflection, we'll be sailing her in May.

Edited by cynbar

The best way to guarantee you get the same table every night is to choose traditional dining. Are you sure this isn't what you really want?

If you dine at different times every night, or want to arrive at a popular time in the middle of the dining hours, then it will be hard for them to hold a particular table open for you when there may be others waiting before you arrive.

We were seated in the same SECTION of the dining room on Eclipse last year.

I have a dairy sensitivity, so pre ordered my meal the previous night, with the Maître 'D.

There were 4 of us who were ' linked' and I had pre- arranged our dining time.

We ate early and had the same waiter every night and almost the same table. The hostess knew we liked this waiter so she would do her utmost to seat us in his section. As others have said, the key to getting your preferred table is to go early.

We had table 545. It is a wonderful table for two. We reserved it for every night we planned on eating in the MDR, which was 5 of the 7 nights.

Usually we take our chances the first night and hope we get a good waiter.

I think the OP is asking how you managed to do this.

We don't like traditional seating for two reasons, we don't always eat at the same time and you are stuck with your wait staff if you don't like them.

For us, it is important to have good waiters, so it is no big deal if we don't get the same table if we get the same waiter. We have never had a problem getting the same waiter if we request it.

For the Reflection, we were seated at table 545 the first night. If you want an intimate table for 2, this is it. When we left, we registered for the time we wanted to eat for each of the remaining nights, and asked for table 545. They weren't certain we could have that particular table but we ate early enough it was not a problem. Now if you eat at more popular times, this probably won't work, but even if you do eat at more popular times, you can request your waiter when you register.

If you want to dine at the same time every night and want the same table for two why didn't you sign up for traditional dining?

Mostly because we don't know until we dine that we will like the waiter and the table. If you sign up for traditional, you are stuck. If you signup for early and then have an event that runs over, you are stuck. Also, we cruise with a group and we don't know ahead of time, when those events will be. We really like the flexibility of dining when we want, not when they tell us.

It seemed on Eclipse that groups had the same table and couples were moved around. We did Select with a reservation for 7:15 every night made in advance.

The first night I asked if we could keep the same waiter and was told that would be difficult. As it turned out, all the waiters were at least as good and the tables better. The hostess was excellent and would give us a choice of alone or shared.

One couple was talking about having "fixed" seating but were clearly in select which gets back to the OPs question.

When we were on Eclipse in December we went when it first opened. We had the same table every night. The waitstaff knew what we liked and never had to ask twice.

This is exactly what we have always done...table for two by the window when it opens! Works like a charm every time!!!:cool:

If you want to dine at the same time every night and want the same table for two why didn't you sign up for traditional dining?

This question always comes up...there are some times when you are on tours and need a different time, so this works quite well. When I have done traditional in the past, my table was assigned to us the first night, and I didn't get to choose it or request it.

What time is considered "early enough" to get a good table for two in select dining? We sail on Reflection Mediterranean in May. Thanks

Sent from my KFSOWI using Forums mobile app

The idea is to be able to dine when you want. If you like eating early, like we do, then you will not have any problem doing it the way I suggested. This gives us the rest of the evening to partake of activities the ship has to offer. If you like to eat a bit later, like Holly2, it sounds like you can expect fewer options.

On the Summit, we arrived around 7h30 each evening. We requested a table along the railing (for 2) each night. We made it clear to the hostess that we didn't mind waiting to ensure a good table. Usually it took only a few minutes. On one night she warned us it could take a bit and offered to sit us elsewhere or we could wait in the wine-bar and she would fetch us when it was ready.

We really enjoyed sitting along the railing as we had a lovely view of the dining room below. 5 of the 7 nights we had the same wait staff which was nice but for us not a deal breaker.

We only had the same table twice but that wasn't really important to us either.