Intl from LAX--How Early?

ducklite

Hoping Zach, FlyerTalker, or one of my fellow road warriors can help with this one.

I haven't flown out of LAX in 20 years (have avoided by use of BUR and SNA) and have never taken an international flight out of there except to YVR about a hundred years ago--pre 9-11.

My LAX-PPT leaves at 23:45. I'm booked on AF. It looks like we might have one checked bag. Would getting there at 21:30 pm work, or do they enforce a strict three hour time frame?

Hoping to try a new restaurant that's opening but want to make sure we'll have enough time.

Thanks!

I'm assuming the flight leave out of TBIT? If so, it's a very easy terminal. I will say that I've never flown out of LAX on AF. BUT, I have done O&D travel out of TBIT on CX and QF, showing up to check in at probably the 2.5 hour mark, and made it through check-in and security in under 20 minutes. The fact that they have a couple of checkpoints for security at TBIT helps - one is inevitably longer than the other. The terminal is definitely quite busy at night though. I mean packed.

2130 sounds good, but again I've never flown AF out of there. I definitely wouldn't show up any later though, especially if you don't have expedited security. But I'm quite conservative.

Yes, TBIT. We are PE, so priority check in. We both have Pre-Check, although I'm not sure if that helps on the international flights--I've only flown F or J internationally in recent years and originated at MCO, so have used CLEAR.

I think we'll play it safe and find something in or closer to the airport. No sense going out for a really nice meal and spending the entire time worrying about getting to the airport on time.

Thanks for your insight. :)

Yes, TBIT. We are PE, so priority check in. We both have Pre-Check, although I'm not sure if that helps on the international flights--I've only flown F or J internationally in recent years and originated at MCO, so have used CLEAR.

I think we'll play it safe and find something in or closer to the airport. No sense going out for a really nice meal and spending the entire time worrying about getting to the airport on time.

Thanks for your insight. :)

Nope, PreCheck will not work with foreign airlines. Using US airlines, it does work internationally; however, I don't think any US airlines depart out of TBIT.

Nope, PreCheck will not work with foreign airlines. Using US airlines, it does work internationally; however, I don't think any US airlines depart out of TBIT.

That's what I figured. At least I have GE on the return. :)

I assume you're driving to LAX? Why can't you allow plenty of time to eat at your restaurant, then park and check in for your flight ? If you're arriving on an inbound connection just take an earlier flight unless that's way too early.

What area or city did you end up moving to? I recall you were looking at options last year.

You might want to rethink things....to the best of my knowledge, AF does NOT use TBIT, but rather is in T2. Along with a lot of other international carriers - T2 used to be a big international terminal in the 70's with PanAm as one of the main tenants.

The other airlines in T2 include Aeromexico, Air Canada, Air China, Air New Zealand, Alitalia, Avianca, Hawaiian, KLM, Lasca, Sun Country, TACA, Virgin Atlantic, Volaris and Westjet.

There will probably be latenight flights on CA and NZ for sure, and likely on AV and TA - maybe AC and HA too.

Ever since the NW/DL merger, I haven't been through T2 so I can't give more info. But prior to that, I can recall T3 to T2 connections in the mid-evening before an LAX-DTW redeye. Lots of passengers for the Central/South American flights in a crowded space. There is only one security checkpoint, so everything gets funneled into that one escalator up to gate level and one snake-line to screening.

Remember, there's always In-N-Out on Sepulveda. Take the Parking Spot shuttle and it's right next door. :D

I assume you're driving to LAX? Why can't you allow plenty of time to eat at your restaurant, then park and check in for your flight ? If you're arriving on an inbound connection just take an earlier flight unless that's way too early.

What area or city did you end up moving to? I recall you were looking at options last year.

I'll be spending several days with friends in WeHo before my flight to PPT. Two of our dining group won't make it to the restaurant--which is in La Brea--before 6:30, as they are coming in from the IE. Assuming two hours to eat, 30 minute drive to LAX, 30 minutes to return the car and get to the terminal, and it leaves no room for snafu's.

We've decided to instead get together when I return to LAX from PPT. With no flights to catch, we can book a later reservation giving the IE group more time to get there and take our time at dinner.

You might want to rethink things....to the best of my knowledge, AF does NOT use TBIT, but rather is in T2. Along with a lot of other international carriers - T2 used to be a big international terminal in the 70's with PanAm as one of the main tenants.

They've actually been in TBIT for awhile now for the A380's, but the 777's are moving there as well as of tomorrow. I verified this with AF when I saw the change on my ticketing.

Remember, there's always In-N-Out on Sepulveda. Take the Parking Spot shuttle and it's right next door. :D

Not really what I'd want to eat before boarding an overnight flight. :D

They've actually been in TBIT for awhile now for the A380's, but the 777's are moving there as well as of tomorrow. I verified this with AF when I saw the change on my ticketing.

Thanks....knew about the 380s. Always glad to update my memory banks. Wonder if this also includes KL moving?

• 2 weeks later...

I know that Air New Zealand is also moving to TBIT later this year. We have flights booked with them for Feb 10 2015. I am researching flights from ELP to LAX to allow for baggage pick-up, terminal change, and check-in for a 9:15 pm flight with Air NZ. How much time do I need to allow? Both AA and Southwest have direct flights.

I know that Air New Zealand is also moving to TBIT later this year. We have flights booked with them for Feb 10 2015. I am researching flights from ELP to LAX to allow for baggage pick-up, terminal change, and check-in for a 9:15 pm flight with Air NZ. How much time do I need to allow? Both AA and Southwest have direct flights.

Do make sure you end up on a flight that is nonstop, not just direct. Though I am sure nonstop is what you mean.

If you are on two completely separate tickets (i.e. ELP-LAX on either Southwest or AA, and a completely different ticket from LAX on NZ), I would not feel comfortable with anything under 6 hours. Sounds crazy right? Well, you aren't protected. If your ELP-LAX flight is delayed, that airline doesn't really care that you are going on to Auckland. And Air NZ has no knowledge that you're coming in from elsewhere, so they will view you as a no-show.

Do see if you can get ONE TICKET from ELP to AKL via LAX. AA and NZ are not codeshare partners, but you should be able to get them on one ticket, especially if you go through a travel agent of some kind. That gives you much more protection and I would be comfortable with a much shorter connection in LAX. But I would still want 3 hours.

Your other option, though it requires an extra stop, is to do United from ELP to LAX via Denver, and then connect on to Air New Zealand. This would be much easier to book because they are both Star Alliance partners and play along nicely. But, again, it does require that extra stop in Denver. United does have (or at least did until recently) seasonal ELP-LAX nonstop flights, but I am not sure what "season" that would be.

Edited by Zach1213

Thanks Zach: I'm glad that I asked the question. Yes--I did mean non-stop :)

I was feeling quite uncomfortable with a 3 hr time between flights. I already have the Air NZ tickets so I'll plan on a morning flight, or even day-before, to LAX. I had ruled out United because of weather risks in Denver vs a southerly route.

I was able to get terrific seats on Air NZ with $200 upgrades to PE on the AKL-LAX leg so I just need to work around that.

Any idea when Air NZ opens their desk to check-in our luggage?

Edited by Alaskanb

I was feeling quite uncomfortable with a 3 hr time between flights. I already have the Air NZ tickets so I'll plan on a morning flight, or even day-before, to LAX. I had ruled out United because of weather risks in Denver vs a southerly route.

I was able to get terrific seats on Air NZ with $200 upgrades to PE on the AKL-LAX leg so I just need to work around that.

Any idea when Air NZ opens their desk to check-in our luggage?

Probably best to call ANZ and ask. One thing that helps is their inbound flight from AKL continues on to LHR. It departs LAX around 430pm so check-in opens around noon or 1pm. However, they may not accept check-ins for the evening flight until cutoff time for the LHR flight. The check-in cutoff is 2 hours before departure. Your original plan for a 3 hour connection on a different ticket would be a stretch, even with everything on time. Good that you changed it.

Edited by kenish

Probably best to call ANZ and ask. One thing that helps is their inbound flight from AKL continues on to LHR. It departs LAX around 430pm so check-in opens around noon or 1pm. However, they may not accept check-ins for the evening flight until cutoff time for the LHR flight. The check-in cutoff is 2 hours before departure. Your original plan for a 3 hour connection on a different ticket would be a stretch, even with everything on time. Good that you changed it.

Thanks so much. It's still a long way away but I feel better once I have a plan.

Good decision to not try to fit in dinner on La Brea before the flight, especially if on a weeknight. Better to go there another time. Oh, the things you must endure to go to Tahiti :-)

One has to admire the loyalty of those who suggest In-N-Out burgers so often here, for almost any situation involving LAX. I also can't imagine heading there before a flight, but to each their own. Until recently I would have suggested the Encounter Restaurant in the middle of LAX, but since that shut, the nearest restaurant I'd suggest is the Proud Bird, a couple of miles away. Not gourmet food, but nice ambiance, with lots of historic photos and a few old planes.

You'd be retuning a rental car? If eating off-airport, I'd try to get an early dinner, then return the car and then head to your terminal. If you're flying biz or first class, you could use the AF lounge? There are restaurants in all terminals I'm aware of, though TBIT likely has the biggest variety. I haven't been since the renovation, but it's something to consider, just to reduce hassles.

I do apologize for hijacking this thread but my questions are connected to LAX timing. We have decided to stay overnight near LAX before our AirNZ flights and have a leisurely morning and afternoon. My next question is related to Kenish's comments -- their inbound flight from AKL continues on to LHR. Am I correct then that the outbound flight to AKL at 9:15 pm is also from LHR?

I would say 3-4 hours is good enough. I believe that Air France now uses the Tom Bradley International Terminal for all of their flights as opposed to using both Terminal 2 and the TBIT.

After you checkin there are places to eat. You could go upstairs to the Daily Grille if you do arrive earlier than 4 hours eat dinner and then checkin.

To make your trip easier use the Air France Online Checkin and then go to the Fast Bag Drop desk and go through security.

Hope this helps.

One thing that helps is their inbound flight from AKL continues on to LHR.
My next question is related to Kenish's comments -- their inbound flight from AKL continues on to LHR. Am I correct then that the outbound flight to AKL at 9:15 pm is also from LHR?
Air New Zealand's operations at LAX work like this:-

NZ2 operates AKL-LAX-LHR, and then turns around to operate NZ1 LHR-LAX-AKL.

NZ6 operates AKL-LAX, and then turns around to operate NZ5 LAX-AKL.